Powell River 2013

The whole derby needs to be better defined. Weigh in starts at 6:00pm but when does it end? Went to website http://powellriverseafair.ca/derby/ and it is a little clearer. I would say depending on which side of Sarah Pt it is an illegal spot. could have set boundary at Zephine Hd and removed all confusion. Other than the boundaries running through RCA's its all good. Too bad the wind was up, no fun bobbing around for 14 hrs.

Heading out in 20 mins. Beautiful out and no wind. Keep ya posted on how we made out. Going to Marshall Point.

Out last night trolled Marshall one undersize, decided to jig for a bit had a bunch of undersize ling came home with a empty tub. A buddy was at Grants' he also had a empty tub.
Lots of talk in the harbor about how hot Mystery Reef has been saw one other boat when we were cleaning up they had one from Mystery he said it was all undersize until his last pass and picked the one up.

Out last night trolled Marshall one undersize, decided to jig for a bit had a bunch of undersize ling came home with a empty tub. A buddy was at Grants' he also had a empty tub.
Lots of talk in the harbor about how hot Mystery Reef has been saw one other boat when we were cleaning up they had one from Mystery he said it was all undersize until his last pass and picked the one up.

Heard that Steelhead picked up a 31 at Sandbanks.

Fished Coho to Marshall last night. One wild Coho and three under sized springs. Came in early as it was a little lumpy and had to work in the morning. Came in and a 24' Bayliner was tied up on the south side of the ramp waiting for his trailer to come off of the Texada ferry. NICE. So everyone has to use the north side. While I was up getting the trailer the wife is chatting with one of the other wives at the dock. Apparently they were out at Grants the previous night and "couldn't keep them off". Wife asks what they were catching and her reply was Coho. Wife asks if they were wild or hatchery? The response was "hatchery the ones with the little fins still attached". Wife says "those ones are wild and you can't keep them, only the ones with the little fins that are missing". The ladies response was "Oh really, are you sure? Everyone else was keeping them too." It is unbelievable the lack of knowledge of some as to species ID, RCA's openings and closures ect.... Then when you try to educate them they don't believe you. Wife pointed out that someone was trying to SELL recreational caught crab on facebook. Once again after trying to educate them as to THAT'S ILLEGAL the response was "that's the first I have heard of that and are you sure?" Lady if I wasn't sure I wouldn't say anything, until I was sure. If I am not sure I find out first. When you are politely trying to educate people and they don't want to listen is it time to report them? They obviously are not interested in educating themselves. Oh and the guy who was blocking off the ramp waiting for his trailer to come off the ferry justified it by saying "I need to be ready because I want to get loaded onto the trailer quickly so I can get back on the same ferry". There is my rant for the day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you Charlie, very sad people need to figure it out, read the regs i see people fishing in rca's all to often. Enjoy the Long weekend!

But who's going to stop them? Go to any cleaning table you will catch the guys who don't know or don't care. Then there's the guys that don't use the cleaning tables cause they know there are rules.

As for RCA's maybe some day they will reopen but before they do I bet you they send the commercials in for a test fishery :) :)

This the sad state of affairs in the public in general. I have named this generation the "ME" era; I don't care about anybody but me. I'll make you wait to load my boat because it's "me" that's important. An I paid for all those fish so the rule don't count for "ME". Can anarchy be just around the corner and the phrase; "where did all the fish go"?

I hear you Charlie, very sad people need to figure it out, read the regs i see people fishing in rca's all to often. Enjoy the Long weekend!

Most unfortunate that I am at work this weekend......but two weeks off starting on the 6th. Heading up to Hall and Denham on the 7th for six days. Home for a couple days then back up for the 16th-18th. Can't wait for a change of scenery.

Fished Coho to Marshall last night. One wild Coho and three under sized springs. Came in early as it was a little lumpy and had to work in the morning. Came in and a 24' Bayliner was tied up on the south side of the ramp waiting for his trailer to come off of the Texada ferry. NICE. So everyone has to use the north side. While I was up getting the trailer the wife is chatting with one of the other wives at the dock. Apparently they were out at Grants the previous night and "couldn't keep them off". Wife asks what they were catching and her reply was Coho. Wife asks if they were wild or hatchery? The response was "hatchery the ones with the little fins still attached". Wife says "those ones are wild and you can't keep them, only the ones with the little fins that are missing". The ladies response was "Oh really, are you sure? Everyone else was keeping them too." It is unbelievable the lack of knowledge of some as to species ID, RCA's openings and closures ect.... Then when you try to educate them they don't believe you. Wife pointed out that someone was trying to SELL recreational caught crab on facebook. Once again after trying to educate them as to THAT'S ILLEGAL the response was "that's the first I have heard of that and are you sure?" Lady if I wasn't sure I wouldn't say anything, until I was sure. If I am not sure I find out first. When you are politely trying to educate people and they don't want to listen is it time to report them? They obviously are not interested in educating themselves. Oh and the guy who was blocking off the ramp waiting for his trailer to come off the ferry justified it by saying "I need to be ready because I want to get loaded onto the trailer quickly so I can get back on the same ferry". There is my rant for the day!

Frustrating...I get so upset fishing at Grants right now, and it is what everyone is dealing with all over the coast right now. Watching people horse coho to the boat, net them, have the fish flop around on the deck of the boat, and then proceed to throw it back overboard...IMHO there is no way that fish is going to survive.

Charlie, I have seen exactly what you witnessed all the time....tons of people bragging about the awesome coho fishing, and filling their tubs with wilds. People need to be informed before they are going to go out and fish. You don't see some one go rock climbing without knowing how to tie a proper knot. (I know, I know...totally different thing when it's their own life at risk, and not just the fish).

BTW, gotta love the "world revolves around me" attitude at the ramp...my favourite ;)

BTW, gotta love the "world revolves around me" attitude at the ramp...my favourite ;)

That is totally the case. Always one of those guys around mixed in with one of the worst launches for vehicles on the westcoast at Westview equals good entertainment.

and all this time I though I was good!!!! Guess I better get moorage and stop trailering. At least we finally got a fish cleaning stations!

Funny...the launch is actually one of a few reasons why I keep my boat moored here most of the summer...it just isn't steep enough for me to easily get my boat off...unless of course I were to back far enough so that my bumper is in the water. Cause that's good for the truck.

That being said, the harbour is great, the new floats are awesome, and yes, we finally have a cleaning station :)

Funny...the launch is actually one of a few reasons why I keep my boat moored here most of the summer...it just isn't steep enough for me to easily get my boat off...unless of course I were to back far enough so that my bumper is in the water. Cause that's good for the truck.

That being said, the harbour is great, the new floats are awesome, and yes, we finally have a cleaning station :)

Thats the reason I keep mine moored too. Beautiful floats and tons of room. Every night coming back to the harbour in June and seeing the line up of boats waiting to get trailered I said to myself "I'm glad I spend the money and moor."

That being said, has anyone been picking up anything out there lately. Legal ones I mean! Last August died completely off for me, not a sniff or a hit. This year I'm determined to bonk in August.

Thats the reason I keep mine moored too. Beautiful floats and tons of room. Every night coming back to the harbour in June and seeing the line up of boats waiting to get trailered I said to myself "I'm glad I spend the money and moor."

That being said, has anyone been picking up anything out there lately. Legal ones I mean! Last August died completely off for me, not a sniff or a hit. This year I'm determined to bonk in August.

Then you better head north with leftcoast. See you at Hall Pt.

Fished Grants yesterday afternoon. Tons of Coho and a few undersized springs. Threw back 2 hatchery we should have kept, guest thought they had to be same size as springs. Got one 12 spring. Number of wild coho in about the 5-6 lb range. It should be good around Lang this year.

Anything? I have been skunked my last 2 trips out been all over. Lots of undersized, wild coho and doggies. Last Tuesday saw a few killer whales of Vivian rock all the whale watching boats from Campbell were there that was a first seeing them this far over.

Back