Port Hardy

D

demersonbc

I've been fishing up here in Port Hardy for the last three days. Sitting at public docks on my boat with Quarterdecks wireless network, technology is cool.

Fishing is pretty spotty. Lots of pinks, some coho, and only undersize springs. We didn't come up here for salmon though, we can catch them in Vancouver or nearby. We came for halibut. Our usual spots, out at the airport, have not been producing and really juicy well known spots, Taylor Bank, are really slow.

Can I ask this group for help in finding halibut up here. I'm at the docks right now with internet access. If you are here, stop by float G, we are Coriba, a 27 Monaro. Desparate for halibut.

I would suggest you run northwest for your halibut.If I have time today I will try and catch you at the dock and show you some spots that have been working well for me..Joe

I'd love your help Joe. We are Coriba, give us a hail on 16. I'll try some of the rocks to the north and northwest of Hardy. Heading out at around 7AM so offline for now.

If you wouldn't mind passing a couple of those spots on to me, it would be much appreciated. I'll be up there in a couple of days.

Thanks,

FishWish

Ok, so this is what we tried today. Farquar Bank for a couple of hours trailing salmon bellies on the bottom. Not a sniff. Went over the shallow ledges and rocks and got nothing. Then we went to Ghost Island and the airport. Lots of hours on the boat and nothing to show. Salmon bellies have always worked for us. Not this trip. Currents were a real ***** at Davey Rock and the south side of the Walkers. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it isn't working. Still in Port Hardy tonight but will probably anchor tomorrow in the Deserters Group. If anyone want to help by tomorrow morning, I'd appreciate it. Finger G at the public docks.

Stopped by your boat at 05:45 this mornin on my way to work, but no activity.Thought maybe by looks of galley table you might of been having a sleep in;)Joe

We worked Taylor bank for a good 4 hours today for 1 Chicken, saw 1 other get caught. What a beauty day though, clear skies and glassy water. Yesterday we worked our way up to Pine Island, and got 1 nice Yelloweye but no Hali's.

quote:Originally posted by demersonbc

Ok, so this is what we tried today. Farquar Bank for a couple of hours trailing salmon bellies on the bottom. Not a sniff. Went over the shallow ledges and rocks and got nothing. Then we went to Ghost Island and the airport. Lots of hours on the boat and nothing to show. Salmon bellies have always worked for us. Not this trip. Currents were a real ***** at Davey Rock and the south side of the Walkers. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it isn't working. Still in Port Hardy tonight but will probably anchor tomorrow in the Deserters Group. If anyone want to help by tomorrow morning, I'd appreciate it. Finger G at the public docks.

Predominantly because of strong tidal currents, hali's radically curtail their feeding on a full moon and for about 4-5 days after. Full moon was July 29, so this my have played a factor in your limited success.

quote:Originally posted by Big Joe

Stopped by your boat at 05:45 this mornin on my way to work, but no activity.Thought maybe by looks of galley table you might of been having a sleep in;)Joe

Fishing frustration will do that! Sorry we missed you; maybe we can connect next time.

We've been making one or two trips up to Port Hardy for years. It's always been a good location for us. This time we weren't so lucky with fishing, but we'll be back. Interesting information about the full moon. We'll try to time our holidays better next time.

Back