Port Hardy Question on Rockfish Limits, salmon fishing

FishDoc

Hi I'm new to these ocean regulations and some things are confusing. So I'm going to Port Hardy in September and it says:
Rockfish (Rockfish and Yelloweye Rockfish in the aggregate) in Areas: 12 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.
Daily limit: 1
Possession limit: 2

So I see a lot of guided trip pictures and it looks like they have more than one rockfish per angler. Are these just old pictures or how are they seemingly catching more than one rockfish per day.

Take this video for example in 2013 Port Hardy Serengeti Charters, they were hauling in the yelloweye and had a pile of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji7z-_c1oPo

Thanks for the info. One is enough for me since I'll have several family members, but if I catch an extra one during halibut or ling fishing that doesn't look like it will make it I don't want to waste it if it is possible to keep.

Thanks for your help.

I'll be at Port Hardy First week of September anyone want to share some tips for a first timer where to find some Chinook and Coho, thanks!

The guides you see brining back more than 1 are heading to area 11 to get those. In the areas close to Port Hardy you are right that it is a daily limit of 1 and possession of 2. When you head out to area 11 you are allowed a daily limit of 3 and possession of 6.

In terms of spots the regular spots in fairly close to Port Hardy would be Duval Point (can be very good for springs at times), Castle Point (also very good for springs), Gordon Group is often very good for Coho. If you are there in September you should be right at the good time for some huge Coho. Not sure but I think there should be lots of hatchery Coho starting to show up at Hardy Bay at that time as well. Daphne Point and Masterman can be good at times as well. Those are the regular spots to try. Try to be out there as early as possible as the winds tend to come up in the afternoon.

The guides you see brining back more than 1 are heading to area 11 to get those. In the areas close to Port Hardy you are right that it is a daily limit of 1 and possession of 2. When you head out to area 11 you are allowed a daily limit of 3 and possession of 6.

In terms of spots the regular spots in fairly close to Port Hardy would be Duval Point (can be very good for springs at times), Castle Point (also very good for springs), Gordon Group is often very good for Coho. If you are there in September you should be right at the good time for some huge Coho. Not sure but I think there should be lots of hatchery Coho starting to show up at Hardy Bay at that time as well. Daphne Point and Masterman can be good at times as well. Those are the regular spots to try. Try to be out there as early as possible as the winds tend to come up in the afternoon.

Thanks for the information! Great Help.

Back