port alberni launch? or drive up to bamfield?

The good news is, however you get here there should be fish. Fourteen to the boat in two hours today. Mostly shakers, but about five in the 5 - 10 pound range. The biggest being a wild fish that went back. The shakers were about 50/50, wild/clipped, which is good to see because I sometimes go many days without a wild fish.

I've been running up the inlet for over 20 years and prefer this to towing on logging roads. I would suggest leaving Port as early as possible, but not in the dark. Be sure to have a fresh fuel filter/water separator with a clear bowl and check for water often. It doesn't happen often, but getting water in your fuel can cause big problems with modern fuel injected engines. It's happened twice to me and is not something I would wish on anyone. Another good idea is to make sure your batteries are not near the end of their life, and carry a fully charged power pack on board just in case, plus all the regular safety gear. Travel safe.

Stosh

just make sure ya got a good spare tire in case !!!
good jack and basic tools , a few blocks , all handy , so ur not haven to rip all ur gear out to get to it , take your time , you'll be fine , its not a big deal , its done everyday , excessive rain can pothole the road up pretty good , but , piece of cake , use ta do it all the time . last , strap er down good , tie downs , ya dont want er bouncing on the rollers.....

Platic bag ur whole motor , including the leg " mud " inpect ur trailer thouroughlly , pack ur bearings.....

see ya there

fd

there is another group of four guys coming out at the same time and if they are interested we will definately run up together!

Another option is to tow to Toquart Bay and cross from there. Paved highway with only about 9 miles of usually good dirt road to finish. With only a 16 foot boat this year, I see myself using this route. However, I'm torn on how I want to head up for the Loggers Derby. I've shot the canal before in this size boat in early morning, but coming back in the late afternoon is usually when it gets hairy as the conditions can be anywhere from glass to big bumps.

I know this has been beat to death...but I can't stress enough the deadhead issue. I've run the inlet probably 30 times...last year's Logger's derby the **** in the water was particularly bad. We hit a partially submerged log on Friday heading up and nearly sunk. PAY ATTENTION...I wasn't.

Even after that experience I'd still choose running the inlet over trailering.

Thanks for the report, Bod!

See everyone in a few days!

okay so looks like we are not getting the early start on the inlet. have to pick a buddy up from the airport in naniamo at 1030am. so running the inlet in the afternoon with 4 guys and a weeks worth of gear is sounding ridiculous. gonna drive out to bamfield. where do i launch? how much does it cost? and where do i park the truck and trailer for the week? any help would be appreciated.

nucks are gonna roll!!!!

swamp - don't drive that road with your boat. Seriously, don't do it. Don't worry about making the run down the inlet in the afternoon, if your boat is over 20ft you won't have any problems. If you drive the road with your boat loaded with gear, you will break **** on your boat or your trailer. For example: Three boats ago I drove the Bamfield road for the 1st time with my 18ft boat. This is what that road broke: a wheel bearing, a window, the frame of my window, dirt plugged my water intake and over heated my engine which cracked the head. it ended up being the destruction of that boat which I sold for $1500 as is.

So do what you want, but you've been warned!

Come on man. It is not that bad.
I have done it year after year with many of boats.
Dam there are 5th wheels and 1/2 million $ motor homes that drive that road daily, year round. Guess it just depends on how you drive. The road is just like any other gravel highway in BC if not better.

Ever been to Poets Nook or any other of the camp site out there? How did all them units get there? Slowly and carfully

we trailered 2 weekends ago and it was mint! did 60-80km/hr the whole way. the first 15kms was a bit wash boardy but after that was literally as nice as you can ask for for a logging road.

to each there own, sometimes the road is better at times... my experience was 'that bad' and I would never tow a boat down it again. it took almost 3 hours to get to the nook when all that **** broke... so I was going pretty dang slow! Swamp - it can be a crap shoot. But who knows, clearly some people have no problem towing down that road... not me. If you do tow that road, bag your motor and leg, take your kicker off and stick it in the truck.

I too am headed for Bamfield next Monday. Never drove the road with the truck and boat, always cruised down the inlet. With the price of gas and the fact that my boat will be loaded to the max weight wise,I think I will brave the road.
My truck sees over 6000 km of logging road every year and I will have the boat empty and tied down extra good with no rattling things. We always travel prepared with tools and jacks anyways.
Also ,I can then load up the truck with 8 or 10 cans of gas due to the fuel cost at Bamfiield.
My boat isn't the best for economy when loaded real heavy. The run back down the inlet last time with 3 guy and 500 pounds of gear cost me way too much in fuel. Two or three hours of slower driving on the road won't cost much with the old Cummins..

how about comprimising and drive to China Creek, leave truck and trialer there and boat up to Bamfield ?
That way you can leave anytime from China Creek and less fuel used on the boat.
I have done it for 25 years and to me its a great way to go.
I WOULD NOT DRIVE THE ROAD , IT DAMAGES THINGS NEVER MIND THE GUYS THAT ARE WORKING ON HAULING LOGS, THEY DONT LIKE TO BE HELD UP SO ...... YIKES.
Enjoy your holiday and take the water route !!

I find it much easier to drive to Toquart Bay and launch if I don't want to shoot the canal. Far less dirt road (9 miles) and usually in far better condition. From there it's a short shot to anywhere you want to fish.

I find it much easier to drive to Toquart Bay and launch if I don't want to shoot the canal. Far less dirt road (9 miles) and usually in far better condition. From there it's a short shot to anywhere you want to fish.

You know that the Govt. gave that to;

In 2002, the Toquaht Nation was granted a contract to operate the facility and the current management has been in place since. On April 1, 2011 the entire facility was transferred to the Toquaht Nation under the Maa-nulth Treaty and is now operated as a private facility with the same management and staff.

Hey Swamp, We have a place on the inlet so I know what I'm talking about. If you run the inlet leave Port by 8am and should be smooth sailing. If you drive on weekdays don't leave port till 6pm, or anytime Sat or Sun is ok, otherwise the dust will be incredible, the road itself really isn't that bad right now.

load all yer crap in yer tow rig and get buddy to run it out the road... take an easy ride down the canal, not much fuel really, compared to dirt and beatings that the dear boat would take.

load all yer crap in yer tow rig and get buddy to run it out the road... take an easy ride down the canal, not much fuel really, compared to dirt and beatings that the dear boat would take.

Thats what we also do some times. But the road is really not that bad.

Back