port alberni launch? or drive up to bamfield?

2 more things to consider

Launch at Clutsui and do the run, on the way back when you enter the river you will be running fresh water through the engine and when you put your trailer in, your mostly fresh water.

Run Early

Leaving early AM makes the ride smoother & shorter.
Later = rougher & longer.

I try to tuck in behind a larger Glass boat if possible. - I run a 23' tin can.

Watch out for Commercial openings, when they start playing the nets out while you're trying to run out it makes it pretty interesting.

Watch for deadheads & various crap. Pay Attention.

I've never had a problem with the wind on the run in, or returning to the Marina, even at the end of the Derby. Some times you have to wait a few minutes, but not a big deal.

I towed 1 boat out on that road. Never again. Making the run is just too easy. Free parking and never had an issue with the truck/trailer. Easy, Easy Easy.

wow. clearly there are 2 sides to this argument.lol my problem is we wont be getting into port alberni till around 1pm on a monday(******* friend is flying in from the stampede in calgary!!) so if i drive to bamfield where do i launch and leave the truck? the boat is a 22ft thunder jet jet boat. we have over the last 2 years trailered it to winter harbour. i dont know if you can compare the roads to each other but we just took our time and made it fine both times. the only issue was dust.

When you get to Port ,fill your boat and Jerry-cans with marked marine at the Petrocan,launch your boat,put the trailer across the street in the big field behind the petrocan,RUN back to the boat with great anticipation . If THERE IS NO WIND,fire up the motor and GO Have fun!

Go stay at a lodge and be guided. No mess, fish is packed for you, beds are made for you, no towing, no dirt roads. No lost gear (yours at least).

drive the truck down the road, drive the boat down the canal, get a helicopter to transport the trailer, and charter a float plane to drop off all the gear and supplies:rolleyes:holmes*
LOL, LOL!
You just need a train in the mix and you would have all of the major modes of transportation covered.:p
The train in Port Alberni goes the wrong direction though.;)

Go stay at a lodge and be guided. No mess, fish is packed for you, beds are made for you, no towing, no dirt roads. No lost gear (yours at least).

Yes, by the time you factor in the ferry $400++, gas to tow the boat ($150), gas for your boat ($400 minimum), some form of food ($250), some place to sleep ($250) your weekend trip cost you a total of around $1,450 for 2 days. Hardly worth it when you can rent a guide for $850/ day for Barkley Sound.

That said, the bonus of your own boat is you get to decide where to fish, and you also get to make the calls on the latest hot spot and techniques - that has to be worth something.

I have fished Bamfield for 14 years. the last time I towed an 18.5 double eagle in there was about 10 years ago. Broke boath springs, all staps,all lights gone from the rocks, leg droped down cause we lost the spacer. $1800 later I learned the lesson. Don't do it. Always launch at china creek, they charge $1/day for the trailer and run it up. Maybe have buddy drive the truck up if you are gonna leave the boat there for a few weeks or just leave the rig there. The 30 mile run is real nice , stop and fish along the way... I think the commies are finished pretty quick, rupert is hot so they will be going there for the gillnet opening.

Thanks for all the info guys! after great debate we have decided to launch monday at clutsui. 2 of us take the boat, dump trailer by petro can, and the other 2 take the truck with all the gear to bamfield. hittin the water by 1230ish so hopefully the wind is not an issue. regardless will post when we get back and let you know how it went!

so we launched at clutsi and 2 of us ran the inlet in the boat, while 2 ran up to bamfield in the truck. it went so smooth! would never do it any other way. even came back on a low tide and no issues at all. however had to wait at the marina for 1.5hrs because one of the trucks travelling with us got a flat on the way back and couldnt get the spare down!!!! had to borrow a tire off a passerby to get them to alberni then they shipped the tire back out to bamfield on the ferry. huge hassle but thanks to the good samaritin who hooked a total stranger up with a tire just to get him back to a tire shop!

Back