Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

WestCoastJuly1411008.jpg

Oh Yeh Fishing wasnt bad either!!

Tried for sox Fri PM, nada, so ran out.
Inside was slow but steady, lots of shakers. Watched the other boats carefully and it was the same all around.
We had a few major hits that didn't stick, next time?
Good news is if you are reading this while anticipating a trip in the next few days then it is sure to be hot by then...we simply hit a lull.
We had an absolute riot when dad had enough of the downrigger and did some old school fishing with a slip weight and his old secret gear, some really nice cohos got sucker punched!
Scoped spots to try for sox on the way back in but EVERY major point except Hocking had a commercial boat netting. Not one jumper all that way...sad to see such a nice family friendly fishery absolutely trashed and sad to see the valley missing out on some much needed tourist dollars.
Great news for us was dad's new boat worked very well!

Don't forget to hit J&L for a burger before you leave town, drive in tradition!

Well fished couple hours for Sockey Saturday.... Dismal... as expected though thought i'd try. Worked the rest of the day. Started at Swale at 6;00am caught 25lbs of under size was getting close to calling it when I actually had a bite that popped off the clip, set the hook and handed it to the wife, guess I had 1 to many beer. She did a pretty good job......15lbs on a anchovy at 112 feet.
Was hoping for better action but it was a great day on the water.

Tried to reach you all day on Saturday on 6 but I guess you didnt have your radio on.

I'd like to thank whoever it was that cancelled their weekend at Seabeam allowing us to slide in there.
Those new atco trailers are the cats puck. Talk about comfy.
Nice pics there Duffer. I don't usually like to see fish on the ashpalt but they are in the shade and the ice is still on them,
(plus they are bled). oh thats another thread.
Will remember this one for sure.

Hey Bruce, sounds like you had a great trip! Spring Fever, a buddy and I are leaving for Barkley in an hour, I hope you guys didn't bag them all................. We will posy a report when we get back on Thurs. or Fri

SS

Hey Bruce, sounds like you had a great trip! Spring Fever, a buddy and I are leaving for Barkley in an hour, I hope you guys didn't bag them all................. We will posy a report when we get back on Thurs. or Fri

SS

Nope, there were quite a few that didn't make it to the boat. You'll find them. Good luck

I'd like to thank whoever it was that cancelled their weekend at Seabeam allowing us to slide in there.
Those new atco trailers are the cats puck. Talk about comfy.
Nice pics there Duffer. I don't usually like to see fish on the ashpalt but they are in the shade and the ice is still on them,
(plus they are bled). oh thats another thread.
Will remember this one for sure.

That was me...boat troubles that cost us our trip...glad to hear seton filled the spot and that the showers and cans are up and running.
btw Brad and seton didnt charge us anything for the cancellation, they are good guys for sure.

Getbent

Hi all
I'm not an experienced saltwater fisher but just wondered if there is ever chinook in the Alberni channel where people currently are fishing for sockeye. If so, how does the method of catching them differ from catching sockeye currently.
Thanks for any help

the method isn't much different at all. lots of sockeye fisherman will catch springs on that type of gear. generally you want to lengthen your leaders on hootchies to 36"-42" you can roll anchovies also on the inside but i find hootchies more productive. fish from 15 feet - 60 feet

Hi,
Heading out from Toquart Bay on Friday morning. Fishing till Monday... any news from inside the sound or off-shore? Hot Spots, Lures, Depths etc?
ARVAK II

Hi all
I'm not an experienced saltwater fisher but just wondered if there is ever chinook in the Alberni channel where people currently are fishing for sockeye. If so, how does the method of catching them differ from catching sockeye currently.
Thanks for any help

Large hootchies work well, army truck, bubble gum, blood and bones and my personal favorite is made by yamashita, oal12r 3.5 octopus they are white but turn blue underwater.But lengthen the leaders to 40 or 44 inches will get you some action

Fished Saturday / Sun this past weekend out of China Creek. Saturday started at Swale at first light, very little going on. Saw a few fish klunked but quite slow. Fished Cree, killed a couple smaller springs. Heard there was a good bit there first light. Finally ran out to South Bank, there was a decent bit at 3-4, killed a few more springs and a coho.

Sunday ran all the way to the big bank. Lots of Hali's on the troll, and klunked out on springs. Hali's on hootchies at 200', larger springs at 120' on hootchies.

Lots of boat time, did about 110 miles on the big motor over the 2 days!

Last year I had major motor problems So I have purchased a bigger boat I have always fished on the inside BUT I would like to go to the outside How do I get to South Bank, Big Bank, or five,seven and ten mile any help would be great...

bob--this link for charts will help. http://marine.geogarage.com/routes
Just find Bamfield,slide south to cape Beale, then keepon going out--5, 7 and 10 mile are distances from Beale. If you've never been offshore, keep an eye onthe weather....
T2

well ya better start with charts,,, keep one on yer boat!!!!!!,, got gps? chartplotter.. the bank starts at roughly 5 miles... mouth of trevor channel head out 210 come back at 30. look for waters 200 to 250. south bank is in front of ukee, definately know where you are and where you are going if you want to cut through the broken group. hope this helps. i be on channel 6 most of the time. pm me and give me yer phone number, can txt when and where we are going if ya wanna . i always like to go in a group,, helps with locating fish and as always safety. Blair.... i will be out this weekend and the next weekends following. cheers and tight lines,,, so since its a bigger boat does that mean its more reliable? i used to run out in my 17.5 sea-ray laguna but i had new power,,i would take reliability over size any day......

Back