Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Looks like good fishing all over this year, some beauties still coming im sure. Im coming down to Bamfeild Aug 10th to 15th, is there some must have spoons that i could bring with me, colour and size? Any info would be appreciated, its been a few years since ive been on the Salmon scene.
Thanks Guys!

Large Spoons offshore , Pilchard Pilchard Pilchard ,( check out Tomics Website ) Mike - Kelly - Codfather
Large Tubby's - 546 - 545 - 639 - 700 ,,,,etc,,,,
Tomic link http://www.tomiclures.com/color_chart_spoons.htm

Coyotes - Watermelon , Copcar , Pearl White , Glo Flo ( green n white ) Neon Green - Neon Blue .. etc.....

list is endless , but this should get cha goin,,,

PNT Parksville or Active Tackle , stock most of these

http://www.activetackle.com/

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/aboutus.php

fd

I have a bunch of 4.0 coyote, im a big fan of the coyote but should a guy go to 4.5 or 5.0? I also take the original hook off the spoon and put a Gamakatsu octopus 4/0 instead, what do you think fogducker? Are you fishing out of Bamfeild or Ukee in August?

Just off phone with friend who was up yesterday. Said it was like someone flipped the "off switch" for the inside waters. He claimed to have hit most inside hotspots. Nobody he saw or talked to had anything but shakers. Appearantly he talked to Bob Cole as well and nada. Love to hear todays reports, incase this was just a hickup in the fishing.

J... incase this was just a hickup in the fishing.

Have a look at the weather pattern. South east gradient (Low Pressure System) in effect yesterday. And that spells Bad News for fishing springs (generally) in this neck of the woods both onshore and off.

Case in point: Day before yesterday (offshore) ~ 45 springs hooked in a full day run. Several large, loads of mediums. Yesterday (SE Gradient) bait and fish still on the sounder, good numbers. 8 hooked, several hours (late start). The fish WERE still there. They just were off the feed bag.

The situation is now changing. Expect the Action to pick right up once the higher pressure settles in. ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Are there any preferred places to anchor in Bamfield harbour or the one above I think its grappler (charts are in the boat), I see the warnings for cables and pipelines. Are there any fish tie -ups (cans in the harbour). I can always use the gov't dock-any other place to tie up-don't need or want power and water?

If you enjoy anchoring, how about finding a quiet spot in the Broken Group? Backside of Effingham maybe?

oooh.. Gilbert Isl. is highly reccomended! It is just behind Mears bluff and Austin Isl. There is a little passageway straight to Austin for the morning bight.

Are there any preferred places to anchor in Bamfield harbour or the one above I think its grappler (charts are in the boat), I see the warnings for cables and pipelines. Are there any fish tie -ups (cans in the harbour). I can always use the gov't dock-any other place to tie up-don't need or want power and water?

There is a great spot just behind Swale rock. If you go behind swale (same passage the Francis barley uses to go to uki) the entrance is on your left it is in behind Gibraltar isle I think My charts in boat also.As you get in there is a native house on the shore. Really great spot as it is deep and very sheltered and close to the fish.Sorry I can not remember the name but I am sure some of the guys on here know the spot I mean,and can chime in with the correct info. If I get out to the boat I will look it up and send you coordinates. As far as I know there is no anchoring in bamfield(could be wrong) and the only mooring buoy I know of belongs to kildonan yaught club if it is still there. I do see guys anchoring in grappler on occasion.

Cheers Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I appreciate those tips and will look them up in the morning. I like to have lots of options so I can be as close to the fish as possible. Thanks

:cool:their is a raft of logs in grappler you can tie up to. pretty much right in front of the the grappler govt dock,, but hells ya , stay in the broken group!!! first light a austin to cree is fawesome!! hope to be out this week, maybe thurs of fri.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tailout and I roll out to a small bay just west of Pill point Friday morning a 4 am for 4 days. Can't wait to get there!!!

Is there a problem launching at clutsei on a 1.6 ft low tide. If so what would you be comfortable at-with a 24-26 ft boat. Thanks.

Have a look at the weather pattern. South east gradient (Low Pressure System) in effect yesterday. And that spells Bad News for fishing springs (generally) in this neck of the woods both onshore and off.

Case in point: Day before yesterday (offshore) ~ 45 springs hooked in a full day run. Several large, loads of mediums. Yesterday (SE Gradient) bait and fish still on the sounder, good numbers. 8 hooked, several hours (late start). The fish WERE still there. They just were off the feed bag.

The situation is now changing. Expect the Action to pick right up once the higher pressure settles in. ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Interesting the effect of the pressure system. Well I can attest to the slow action. Worked Pill Pt. first with with no luck. Headed to 5 mile where we scratched out a 2 springs, 2 coho and some pinks for the smoker. It wasn't a train wreck but not what I expected.

Not to mention we just had a full moon on Friday and Saturday

Is there a problem launching at clutsei on a 1.6 ft low tide. If so what would you be comfortable at-with a 24-26 ft boat. Thanks.

You should be fine launching at that tide. I have launched there at a zero tide before with my 23' boat. I do suggest turning your boat around at the dock as the river is running pretty hard from the snow melt. Also you may find that the river will drop in spots down to 4 to 5 feet in depth.

Well fished couple hours for Sockey Saturday.... Dismal... as expected though thought i'd try. Worked the rest of the day. Started at Swale at 6;00am caught 25lbs of under size was getting close to calling it when I actually had a bite that popped off the clip, set the hook and handed it to the wife, guess I had 1 to many beer. She did a pretty good job......15lbs on a anchovy at 112 feet.
Was hoping for better action but it was a great day on the water.

I've launched my 24' at 0.6'. It is very dicey backing out into the river...make sure you cheat upstream (don't be shy on the throttle) and be ready for it to catch you. Stay well left of the channel markers heading down the river.

Gonna be back in the Canal for some work/fishing day, looks like a North West 20-30 knots, wheres the best spot for 3 to 4 hours of fishing ? Pill ? Mears ? Swale?

WestCoastJuly1411011.jpg

I must say my first stay at Seabeam was fantastic. I usually stay a few docks up but this year our little group Tortuga, Chad and myself decided last minute to run up Friday evening for the weekend and lucky for us Seabeam had a cancellation. Seeton hope I got the spelling right was great him and the boys looked after us with some firewood. They just finished some nice Cedar Shower houses and toilets. The wife didnt believe I went fishing when she smelt me on Sunday lol. But just wanted to say thanks from all of us for the great quarters and of the course the Hospitality was # 1. Thanks from all of us!!

Back