Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

well ya better start with charts,,, keep one on yer boat!!!!!!,, got gps? chartplotter.. the bank starts at roughly 5 miles... mouth of trevor channel head out 210 come back at 30. look for waters 200 to 250. south bank is in front of ukee, definately know where you are and where you are going if you want to cut through the broken group. hope this helps. i be on channel 6 most of the time. pm me and give me yer phone number, can txt when and where we are going if ya wanna . i always like to go in a group,, helps with locating fish and as always safety. Blair.... i will be out this weekend and the next weekends following. cheers and tight lines,,, so since its a bigger boat does that mean its more reliable? i used to run out in my 17.5 sea-ray laguna but i had new power,,i would take reliability over size any day......

Sounds like fishing in Barkley Sound is the same this year as it has been for quite a few years now – the best fishing is OFF-SHORE... best bet being 25 miles out with occasional hot days at 15 miles and/or 7 miles.
Personally, I think it’s the water-temperature! I’m also a scuba diver and have been utterly amazed at finding 13ºC-16ºC water (that’s 55ºF-60ºF for “y’all Yanks”) at 80 feet depth in a lot of places on the WCVI. (80 feet is 25 meters for you all English Euro Bobs... only a true Canadian mixes up his measurements eh!?):)

Anyway... 10 years ago the typical temperature at 80 feet used to be 9ºC-10ºC! For Herrings being chased by a Salmon, it would be like being forced to perform at top physical ability in sweltering heat! Whether I’m predator or prey, I would rather do it in cool comfort. Hence… all of them are hanging out off shore!

Having said that, I too prefer to go in groups when heading out there! Hey “Trophywife”… I also have a KingFisher… a 2525… and will monitor Channel 6! The name of my boat is the same as my pseudonym here: ARVAK II. If you, “Bob”, or anyone reading this feel like heading out together… just call! Another reasonably reliable way is to hang out at the entrance to Bamfield or Uke harbours at around 5:00 am and simply follow (and stick with) the Guide boats as they head out. We will most likely be (pending a favourable weather report) in the entrance to Uke Harbour on Friday morning.
Hope to see ya there!

Cheers…
ARVAK II

Another reasonably reliable way is to hang out at the entrance to Bamfield or Uke harbours at around 5:00 am and simply follow (and stick with) the Guide boats as they head out. We will most likely be (pending a favourable weather report) in the entrance to Uke Harbour on Friday morning.
Hope to see ya there!
Cheers…
ARVAK II[/QUOTE]

Holy **** dude.

Blair would kill himself first.

Thanks for all the help.....

Use the search function Bob. It's all been posted over and over. Don't get to sad that on your first post guys aren't leaping to rehash topics that arise every year.

Keep'er cool and you'll get everything you need.

Another reasonably reliable way is to hang out at the entrance to Bamfield or Uke harbours at around 5:00 am and simply follow (and stick with) the Guide boats as they head out. We will most likely be (pending a favourable weather report) in the entrance to Uke Harbour on Friday morning.
Hope to see ya there!
Cheers…
ARVAK II

Holy **** dude.

Blair would kill himself first.[/QUOTE]

LOL Jeff...I'd go into stealth mode before I ever let that happen. Just try to follow.:p

Use the search function Bob. It's all been posted over and over. Don't get to sad that on your first post guys aren't leaping to rehash topics that arise every year.

Keep'er cool and you'll get everything you need.

thanks for the tip about using the search, very helpful

Heading out tomorrow . Got three nights in Julia passage. Sure hope I don't live the old "shoulda bin here a week ago" thing Ha Ha.
We will be on 06 or 16. In the new rig 21 trophy with yamy power. boat name is "Inisfree" but I still go by Jencourt.
Say hi id ya see us

Cheers: ray

lmao..

Pat . ya get ur boat glued bak tagetha hehe , hope shes smilin again , sux , workin with Billy friday...
i will be there for a WHOLE WEEK , yeee haww , Aug 8 - 15th ish , maybe longer ,
I owe Jodi a drink , my bad , more hangin than fishin i hopes...
wait ta ya meet my LUNATIC cousin , the locals all luv em... Mike...
Jeff , keep ur head up ,i'm a cummin for yuzzzzzzzzzzzz

see yall soon

i miss west side : ) ,

fd

Holy **** dude.

Blair would kill himself first.

LOL Jeff...I'd go into stealth mode before I ever let that happen. Just try to follow.:p[/QUOTE]

Hey... no chastisement necessary guys! Please don’t take it the wrong way! “Follow” was perhaps the wrong word to use here, and I apologise if anyone understood it as an attempt at “snooping”. My ignorance... sorry... it’s not what I intended!

Right or wrong, I was just sharing what we did – years ago - when we first started venturing off-shore. I have to admit we were nervous about being alone out there and usually just became part of the whole fleet of fishing-boats heading out in the morning – not “following” anyone in particular – just learning about those most popular spots where crowds of boats are hanging out all the time... like “The Wreck” and such.

In that sense, and even though it’s been quite a few years now, I still consider myself an off-shore newbie... learning new things every time! That’s all...
Cheers

LOL Jeff...I'd go into stealth mode before I ever let that happen. Just try to follow.:p

Hey... no chastisement necessary guys! Please don’t take it the wrong way! “Follow” was perhaps the wrong word to use here, and I apologise if anyone understood it as an attempt at “snooping”. My ignorance... sorry... it’s not what I intended!

Right or wrong, I was just sharing what we did – years ago - when we first started venturing off-shore. I have to admit we were nervous about being alone out there and usually just became part of the whole fleet of fishing-boats heading out in the morning – not “following” anyone in particular – just learning about those most popular spots where crowds of boats are hanging out all the time... like “The Wreck” and such.

In that sense, and even though it’s been quite a few years now, I still consider myself an off-shore newbie... learning new things every time! That’s all...
Cheers[/QUOTE]

First time I fished Bamfield we tried the inside for 2 days. Got a few fish but couldn't believe how well the guys were doing offshore. Day three we waited at the harbour and followed the guide boats out to the banks. Marked the spots on my GPS. Took my little 17' Tyee way out numerous times. Hammered on the fish and have never looked back.

lmao..

Pat . ya get ur boat glued bak tagetha hehe , hope shes smilin again , sux , workin with Billy friday...
i will be there for a WHOLE WEEK , yeee haww , Aug 8 - 15th ish , maybe longer ,
I owe Jodi a drink , my bad , more hangin than fishin i hopes...
wait ta ya meet my LUNATIC cousin , the locals all luv em... Mike...
Jeff , keep ur head up ,i'm a cummin for yuzzzzzzzzzzzz

see yall soon

i miss west side : ) ,

fd

Still in boat doctor...patient isn't dead, just wounded. Hope to have her back Friday...trips booked so can't afford to miss many more.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

LOL Arvak!!! No problem, happens all the time, likely more so in Ucy than here but you are smart to not want to be alone...

Back