Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Alberni has springs. We put in a few hours last night with a buddy from down island.
Trip over was delayed by a bad accident near QF park, hope that ends well for those affected.

We brought home one just under 26lbs after a very respectable battle in which we had to chase it, reel was over halfway down in line. 12 year old son drove perfectly INTO the wind on the chase, you know how challenging that can be!
Lost one more at the boat about 10-15lbs when net tangled on a DR knob. Had 2 more hits that we never saw.

They are shallow. Our hits were all on a 4" tiger prawn SPOON of all things. On the middle rod using a diver!!! This set up was courtesy of my son who has a creative mind when it comes to putting the gear out LOL
I let him buy and put out just about anything and it is always amazing to me to see how often his ideas work. Just goes to show that the fish often aren't reading these boards about what it the 'correct' way to fish hahahaha

No hits on the anchovy which was tried with and without a flasher. No hits on plugs or big spoons or Apexes.

Can't wait to go back!

Smiley.

sockeye

have all the sockeye gone through the inlet yet ? is the season still open for them? are there alot of springs being caught around china creek area ??? thanx in advance for any info.....

Heading up to the Nook for 6 days right now, will report later of course. We are in site 60 right down on the water, swing in for a cold one if you are around. White/red 18ft double eagle this time around...

If you are going to Poett's Nook beware of manager Jim. The guy is a full on mental case. Kicked us out twice. Honestly did absolutely nothing. Just had a hate on for us cause we're young. Everyone else we met was great, great neighbours. Had a blast fishing just a shame I won't be back to the Nook. Jim needs help.

If you are going to Poett's Nook beware of manager Jim. The guy is a full on mental case. Kicked us out twice. Honestly did absolutely nothing. Just had a hate on for us cause we're young. Everyone else we met was great, great neighbours. Had a blast fishing just a shame I won't be back to the Nook. Jim needs help.

Nice first post smokin':rolleyes:. I'll watch out for that Jim guy for sure:D.

Nice first post smokin':rolleyes:. I'll watch out for that Jim guy for sure:D.

The guy is seriously loopy. I work in the service industry and know what good service is. He is a crazy person. Crazy people don't generally provide good service.

Hi All, heading up to the nook saturday AM. hoping the gods are with us. don't plan on running offshore, so any updates from inside appreciated

Bruce

just got back yesterday with the family, good to be home for two days, then back at it for sat afternoon over at harrisons cove lodge , inside fished for three days, got cohos at swail and meares on hootchies, all the coho had firecracker sized bait in their bellies, next day switched to small chovies and holders and fished a lil deeper (70') from the wall to whitlestone, hit 7 good springs, 4 lost to a fawker of a sea lion, wife got her tyee :) the springs inside are definately waiting for rain, they were darker than any fish of the year and bursting with large roe.

Any recent reports from the inlet
Amazing in the inlet. Yesterday, I heard guys were getting their limit in a short pass to China Creek (and the fish were biting all day long). Today a bit slower, but still lots of nice fish being caught. (certainly worth staying inside)

Hot, Hot, Hot for us on Friday. China Creek should be packed for this weekend.
Got our limits then tried other gear and that worked also.
Avg. size was low 20's but still nice fish.
No luck on the anchovies but rubber sure worked good.
White, green and pink combinations seem to be the ticket for us.
Fished from 30 to 50 feet and found fish at all depths.
GLG

Yup. it's crazy out there right now.Nonstop action from lonetree down,kept letting the last one go hopeing for a biggie.We caught 9 and kept 4 between 21 and 17lbs

It is amazing fishing..got back yesterday.
Just goes to show HOW good the fishing can be when the bag fleet is not unleashed on a run. It is my understanding that is it not a big chinook return year either.

I will be heading back on tuesday. If anyone is over there stop by the campsite at arrowvale, we will be camped by the goats.

Back