Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Was Mike from PBH there with you guys also? ..I was wondering why that other boat was so tight to you.... Make sense ....I think I saw you guys fishing in front of Swale also, just a couple pass....I was fishing Turner, Swale and the inside gap that afternoon..seemed to be a few fish around :)

Heard Mike lost a real hog on the outside well they were filming juring the week.... :(
Pretty nice in there at times ..did hit a few along there?

Off to Bamfield this morning!! One more coffee and a hot shower and we are ready to rock.Mooring at the Gov. dock, 22 Whaler Revenge...come by for a cold one!............Wild West

Fished the inlet until about 7am this morning - lost a nice one. Then we headed down to Pill for some crazy reason and tried there for a bit. No bites. But did see a whale. Over to Swale, same result. Headed home early, but next time we'll stay in the inlet as we did see a bunch of people catching and the reports have been great. Spectacular day on the water!

Lateness

not alotta reports this season from our regular salty's ??? ,

So , a little late , but , a little write-up on my 1 week excursion out WCVI , after losing the bananas and reading the instructions on How to Use a Net !
we came back with some better results ,we did get out ta South-Bank a couple of times more , the fishing was Steady , NOT Hot as we were expected to believe , lol , but Steady , most fish were mediums , 95% Reds , all around 80 - 100 feet , again Coho quite thick , 1 outta 4 ish were marked , we stuck with larger spoons , Plugs just never went off for me , thats ok , Spoons no flasher still gets the blood goin , released fish between 12 - 18 , most bonked were around 20 - 25lbs , largest only 30....

Did a day of cruisin the Broken Group , and up the coast , we seen Dolphins , Greys , Humpy's , sumthing of the Jaws like nature chewing on what appeared to be a salmon skull , right on the surface , 10 -12 feet long !! think i sharted on that one,,,
Bumped into Nog at the spirit bear wharf , nice Grady's there runnin ,he had a table full of Large from Hysen i believe he said , this time last year it was UNREAL there,,
So , ta finish our last day , we stayed close to home , not expecting much , we started a little a little late , within in minutes we had our first fish ta the boat , bonked that one right in front of Nish's place lol... back ta the clutter of boats that Yankee was smothered by all week , seen Dallas playin a fish , so ,we tucked in , made a few tacks , WHAM , she went off for me ,released a few , bonked 3 more beauties within a hour , all on Chovy , long leaders , in REAL tight , great way ta finish our trip , our licenses full marked , ready ta go home ,

had a great time with the Cous , Mike , , nice seein ya Ryan ( Cedarman ) hope those liprippers worked for you , ya did well , The Spoon did for me ,

p.s. Smelts were awesome yesterday : )

, I need a D-man ???? starts in September

later ,

FD

Captain Kudratz

IMG00406-20110813-0908.jpg

Wall Smiley

IMG00401-20110813-0834.jpg

Yankee Gong Show

IMG00414-20110813-1226.jpg

thanks fd for the report, gonna run some chovies inside for the first time this year!!!! see ya all monday, report back on friday:)

Any reports out of Port? Clutesi was the busiest I've seen this morning. Thinking of heading out there tomorrow morning.

I'm out tomorrow afternoon till Weds.. staying @Poetts Nook tuesday night... :)
Heard fishing has been pretty steady in side BArkley adn outside has been on fire..There every where ... :)

Port is unreal right now,the best its been in a long time.Lots of fish and lots of boats,anywhere from lonetree to underwood.The bite is different this year,usually a firstlight fishery but so far this year it's starting around 6:30 and lasting till 9:30 or 10

Just got back from fishing the inside out of China Creek. I agree! Best and fastest fishing I've ever seen in Alberni. Limits should be no problem.
Note: lots of lightly hooked fish that get off immediately. We changed the setting on the downrigger clips to hold the line harder and saw an immediate improvement in our success. These estuary fish are wallowers and don't bite as aggressively as they did earlier in their lives.

With the heavy rains last night I wouldn't be surprised to see the fish that have been around head for the river. Don't worry, more on the way and they will stack up until the next rains. Most have been in the teens but a few big ones around as well.

Yup it SURE RAINED LAST NIGHT and all morning at Bamfield today....YIKES....MONSOON Rain!!A buddy had 1 foot of water in his little whaler in 2hours.,Forget to switch on his bilge.Went offshore to 20 mile...what a friken gong show running 2 rods with only 2 people onboard.2 many fish too fast.NOT real sportfishing if you ask me,all those feeders big and smaller of ALL SPECIES would hammer those plugs and lures big those big 6\0 hooks installed on them.Many where damaged too badly to release.ie ...deep gill,eye, etc injuries....NOT NICE... Don't think I'll ever target those again...Did I say not very Sportfishing???????? WILDWEST.

Was down Ukee area last weekend aug 14..got a few springs mostly up to 20 lbs and a few coho.. but the fish of the trip was this one.
Sorta hesitated to post pics but members from the forum said I should.. biggest fish I have ever hooked, and the battle was epic..funny the girlfriend that was supposed to go on the boat bailed at the last minute.. then I asked around.. who else can/ wants to go?

Very thankful for Brad.. who harpooned this beast on his first ever hali trip and did and an awesome job!
The fish measured 64 inches no scale at cluetsi.. but according to the tables 135 #..
Brad is 6'6" and 260 lbs
P1100189.jpg

Back