Podding

Thanks all, I have started with a Merc Spitfire 4 blade 19" pitch. I wasn't able to hit the top rpm so I'll probably swap it for a 17" pitch of the same prop. All in cost is about $11k for the the conversion. The motor is a 2008 with 300 hrs.

I still have to build the floor panel and cabinet doors for the transom, but I can start using the boat now.

Boat looks awesome Warren! When you finish the back cabinet post up some pics of the finished product. I still have to build something for mine but haven't decided how or what yet.

My project starts in the fall. I think its time to settle the battle once and for all. The Malibu 185 is getting a full pod, and hopefully a suzuki 150 or 175. Now to start budgeting.

@Wwunder do you still have it?

And now it's fall. Decision making time!

Anyone on here that has podded a 185? I am thinking I am going with 150hp. and kicker with remote/helm steering. I sat around with new boat vs old and for money I think my wants are just reliability at this point.

I still have my Malibu that I podded. I would recommend following the bottom of the hull and avoid stepping the pod up. Everyone I know that went with the stepped pod had trouble getting the bow down and porpoise issues. My 150 Yamaha is a lot of power for the boat and I would recommend going with 150. 115 wouldn't be enough. The other thing to consider is you will most likely have to move the axel back on your trailer to get enough tongue weight after you put the outboard on.

I still have my Malibu that I podded. I would recommend following the bottom of the hull and avoid stepping the pod up. Everyone I know that went with the stepped pod had trouble getting the bow down and porpoise issues. My 150 Yamaha is a lot of power for the boat and I would recommend going with 150. 115 wouldn't be enough. The other thing to consider is you will most likely have to move the axel back on your trailer to get enough tongue weight after you put the outboard on.

That's what I am going with a 150 is the plan. I am not suprised about purposing issue. I will most likely be getting a new trailer at same time.

I see there is a 175 suzuki not much more weight..
175 is overkill. The 150 pushes the boat close to 50mph and is barely working at cruising speed. I cruise at 3400-3600 rpm doing 28-30mph with a light load and up to 4000 rpm to get the same speed with a heavy load. I wouldn't pay extra for the 175 myself

175 is overkill. The 150 pushes the boat close to 50mph and is barely working at cruising speed. I cruise at 3400-3600 rpm doing 28-30mph with a light load and up to 4000 rpm to get the same speed with a heavy load. I wouldn't pay extra for the 175 myself

Ok good to know....

Times completely up no boat found, and ran out of options. This boat market sucks!

And we are away! Goes in for podding mid Feb. Now the work begins! The plan is 150hp suzuki new or used with new 9.9 EFI suzuki. If anyone has any leads on used power please let me know. Guy podding is reccomending a 25".

Installing hydraulic steering as part of project, and new boat trailer.

Times completely up no boat found, and ran out of options. This boat market sucks!

And we are away! Goes in for podding mid Feb. Now the work begins! The plan is 150hp suzuki new or used with new 9.9 EFI suzuki. If anyone has any leads on used power please let me know. Guy podding is reccomending a 25".

Installing hydraulic steering as part of project, and new boat trailer.
Who's doing the pod for ya ? Sounds like a decent price

Back