Removing Half of Your Two Station Controls

Rain City

Crew Member
Anyone know if anything negative would come of removing my upper helm controls on my volvo diesels? I just want to get rid of the future problems while I wait for a repower down the road. I don't really ever drive from up top. Seems like ditching it all now might prevent having to deal with a problem mid trip. I just found a short in the switches that was tripping my engine breaker. I also don't like the additional tension on the cables when shifting. This seems like a no brainer, but I'm wondering why this won't work for any reason.

Just do it! Pair of merc 300’s and a bracket. All fly by wire so adding removing stations is a breeze.
If your transom is all ready beefy it is not a hard process. Expensive as f### but not that hard

Unless your upper helm is leaking fluid, leave it hooked up.
Disconnect upper throttle and shift at the lower assembly.
Not sure what the wiring harness and guages wiring look like, but would also try to disconnect at lower station.

Just do it! Pair of merc 300’s and a bracket. All fly by wire so adding removing stations is a breeze.
If your transom is all ready beefy it is not a hard process. Expensive as f### but not that hard
It's the expensive part I need to get over.

Unless your upper helm is leaking fluid, leave it hooked up.
Disconnect upper throttle and shift at the lower assembly.
Not sure what the wiring harness and guages wiring look like, but would also try to disconnect at lower station.
Ok cool. Thanks.

It might be right in the lottery station, but that is where the Morse cables will attach for the upper station. This will make the lower shift and throttle operate much smoother.
I would think the upper gauges are just slaves to the lower gauges, since you have already had a short, you would want to get them out at their source. Could be easy or impossible, depending on the harness, loom or random wires you find heading down from the upper station.

It might be right in the lottery station, but that is where the Morse cables will attach for the upper station. This will make the lower shift and throttle operate much smoother.
I would think the upper gauges are just slaves to the lower gauges, since you have already had a short, you would want to get them out at their source. Could be easy or impossible, depending on the harness, loom or random wires you find heading down from the upper station.
That's kind of what I'm looking for. If I start chopping things out, what will I lose?

i would leave well enough alone until you repower with digital controls and everything on a nmea 2K bus.
plenty of downside and very limited upside to fiddling around with old mechanical and electrical stuff if it works ok currently. green field builds are much easier to handle by throwing literally everything out and starting with a simple digital system.

lower station undone the 4 screws pull the thing up mite get a few "s undo/take off the upper cable split pins the tease out the holding pins ... bag pins and split clip ..... secure undone upper cable with a few zip ties and move out the way reinstall the 4 holding screws and your done

Back