pod design

That's a late 70's Reinell. Pretty heavy boat I would think. 150 would be way to small....250 at least.
Hopefully you have checked stringers and transom. Lots of wood in those older boats.

Would I be able to easily get up on a plane and do short 20 minute runs from Sooke to Jordan River:

with a 200?
with a 250?

My 228 grady was a dog with a 200. That is a lot more boat there. 250 minimum....... 300 would be ideal.

Nobody else has mentioned this but I will. Have you thought about what you will have when you are done? You will have a 70's Reinel with a good chunk of your money sunk into it. If the boat itself is solid (no rot) and you plan to keep it until you get your moneys worth out of it then go for it. If you think you may one day want to sell it to move into something else, I would rethink putting to much money into something you will never get it out of. Myself I would be looking for a good 23 Hourston that has a blown up motor but a solid hull and doing what you are doing to it. A popular hull that you will be happy with and will get more of your money back out of it when or if you sell it. Just my thoughts.

... A popular hull that you will be happy with and will get more of your money back out of it when or if you sell it. Just my thoughts.

Totally valid points. The Reinell is my new to me boat, and the whole famdamily can go at the same time. (we have 6 kids)
My previous boat was 15ft and I could only bring 2 of my kids at a time.
So I am willing to stick with this boat until my kids are out of college (another 20 years)

The motor is almost ready to be pulled.
I will have a real up close look at my transom and stringers tomorrow. Hope all is sound.

IMG_5060.jpg
I'm in the same situation. Podding and outboarding and people constantly ask 'why that hull'. Mine is a SeaRay 22.5 from 1977. Pretty much brand new. Except for that crappy i/o. Engine is out and the hole is being filled. My $3500 (ouch) pod / swim grid / kicker mount is just being started. I'll share whatever info I can. My pod will follow the hull line and come up slightly. Powered by a 225 Etec.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice hull, I can see why you want to keep it.

I got my motor pulled today. manage to dangle it on a chain from my loader without dropping it into the bottom of the boat.

I settled on a motor finally, a 2010 Verado 250 w/ 1200 hours.

now I need to find a prop, hydraulic steering and electronic controls for the motor.
Here's the brochure picture when it was new.

new-mercury-250-hp-verado-outboard-motor-four-stroke-verado.jpg

After removing the engine and outdrive, I checked out the transom hole
It was wet, but it was wet from the inside.

I poked at it with a flathead screwdriver and only the top 1/16" is soft. just the surface.

2015_06_03_18_02_33.jpg

Why is there a drain hole when it does not go thru the hull? *sigh*
cant wait to never have a crud-filled bilge area again.

2015_06_03_18_02_58.jpg

after first wash down with dishsoap and cold water
the worst is gone, but it left a film of slipperyness after I scrubbed down the stringers
tomorrow will try hotter water and some degreaser

2015_06_03_19_56_40.jpg

Back