Panther Steer T5 - anyone using it

BigHog

Panther Steer T5 /Intellisteer - anyone using them

Looking at options for my 15 HP Pro kicker steerage and wonder if there is any feed back on this product. Like the idea of a wireless remote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had panther and it failed me many times. I have switched after losing two many days on the water or put into sketchy situations on the water where the steering failed. When it worked, it was great, quiet, quick and easy to set up and use. Just not reliable. I now run a intellisteer which I put in last summer and it has been great so far, it's a much more robust system. It's a little noisier though. Just Google intellisteer

I had one for afew seasons. I sold it with so many spare parts you could build another. JUNK if you use them alot. Put a steering wheel in and save yourself alot of hassle

I've got the T5 on a 9.9 pro kicker, only used it for one season so far but with great results.

I went with the Protran system.....wireless and new linkage setup used worked great but motor did pack it in after the 2nd year. Just replaced motor (new improved one they say) ....we'lll see. Definately missed it when i was waiting for the new motor.

I don't post here often but when people ask about steering systems I have to recommend the TR-1.
I put about 300 hours a year on mine and it is 9 years old.
Have replaced the pump once due to a leak.
It is absolutely the only way to go.
If you fish a day on a boat with one you will be sold.
It will hold a course heading regardless of sea conditions.
Tap a button to alter your course by 5 degrees, slow to an idle while playing a fish, or resume back to trolling speed.
You can also set in reverse to hold you on a spot when bottom fishing.
I fish with my wife a lot and she would rather read than drive the boat all day.
The boat drives itself.

Thanks for all the input so far. Not looking for an auto pilot or remote throttle as the kicker is already rigged for throttle tilt and trim. Am also considering the Intellisteer type product. This product also has a wireless remote.

I realize the TR-1 price is prohibitive but an autopilot system IMO is way better than simple remote steering.
With simple remote steering you are constantly adjusting your direction due to wind or waves.
You may as well be holding the wheel.
Auto pilot will hold a straight line until you decide to change course.
I can troll the full length of my tack without touching the controls even once.

Thanks for all the input so far. Not looking for an auto pilot or remote throttle as the kicker is already rigged for throttle tilt and trim. Am also considering the Intellisteer type product. This product also has a wireless remote.

Neighbour had two replaced under warranty. Last one is pooched at two years of age with only intermittent use.

Ya the Panther is a freshwater unit they say it for salt but it doesn't hold up. CCB has one on is trophy 2359 and it has cause him a fair bit of trouble. I would steer clear excuse the pun!

I would recommend the Goetz Engineering Trol-Eze hydraulic system, works very well.
Has a lanyard and a switch so I can steer from anywhere in the boat.
Stainless steel hydraulic cylinder controls the engine, compact hydraulic pump with built in reservoir installed below deck.
System has worked flawlessly for 5 years.
Recommended, supplied and installed by Dan Parker at Monaro Marine.
www.trol-eze.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya it sure seems like they are not built well. A buddy just bought one and I hope it works for him. Still searching for a non AP unit as I have an AP on my main. Be nice to find something for under a grand!! Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming if you have some input.

Jones boys boats has a Goetz steering system for sale for 899. It's for a honda but I'm sure you can get parts to work on all kickers. On webpage in the special section

With the Goetz do you need your main motor to have hydraulic steering as well or can it be just your kicker?

My understanding with the Goetz is that it comes with a Ram so it a would be stand alone system. Does not offer a wireless remote though.

Anyone used the Intellisteer product? It is a HYD system with wired and wireless. The one draw back is you need a RAM on your kicker and from I have found the RAM's are 500-650 on top of the 1000 for the ISteer.

Back