painting boat

goddan

I was curious about the rolling and tipping method of painting a boat. Anybody have experience with this?

Tried this a few boats ago. Worked best on a cooler day. Paint has time to kind of self level before it dries.

I was surprised at how smooth it turned out. For doing it in my driveway and having no prior experience, it turned out great. My auto body guy suggested I mix in a bit of generic auto body paint hardener. It made the paint a lot more resilient to impacts and scratches. All in all it's a good method. I wouldnt hesitate to try it again if I had too. Only real advice I can give is to pick a coolish kind of day and start in a small area that you can kind of practice on. You'll get the hang of it fairly quickly.

If you search through my old posts I posted a step by step on how I restored and painted an old 60's era Hourston. I used the roll and tip method using a paint product called Perfection. There are a few videos the manufacturer has posted that detail how to use it. The prep and cleaning prior to painting is more important than the painting itself.

If you search through my old posts I posted a step by step on how I restored and painted an old 60's era Hourston. I used the roll and tip method using a paint product called Perfection. There are a few videos the manufacturer has posted that detail how to use it. The prep and cleaning prior to painting is more important than the painting itself.

Hey Ten Mile, I looked through your old posts and didn't see any on painting a Hourston. Would be interested in finding that write-up if you still have it as I'm going to be tackling the same thing.

Hey Dencope -- Looks like many of the older posts are gone since the update to the Forum.

Here's a link to the Album of photos I took during the restoration. Basically, I removed every fitting. Sanded and filled everything. Cleaned the boat with the recommended cleaner and painted. It turned out very nice. It's been 6 years since I did it and still looks like new.

https://goo.gl/photos/Jmy8txUekTxmVNsw8

Roll and tip method using Perfection. Used their recommended primer and cleaners.

Back