be careful when renewing your boat licence

robertg

As most of you know our pleasure boat licence has to be renewed every ten years, I just started the process on line and did not carefully check the website I was on, in the final stages of filling out forms the method of payment came up requesting $69.00. I decided to get off the page and go back to Search and discovered that there is a Transport Canada site that you can use to renew the licence. I just wanted to let everyone know that you can be easily fooled. So if you are in the same boat. Be careful. I have filled out the Govt form and submitted it If I have any problems, I will post them here

I think they are good for life. No renewing.
A quick google search revealed -

Will I ever have to renew my operator card (boating licence)? Your Pleasure Craft Operator Card is good for life. Furthermore, there are no renewal fees and no annual fees. It will need to be replaced, with fees only if lost or damaged.

Think he meant pleasure boat license for your boat. Not the operator license. Which I think changed to only being good for 10 years now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201_153913_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_153913_Samsung Internet.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 19
Someone posted on this subject a while back and linked a govt website.
you can check to see if your licence is good for 10 years or longer.
mine happened to be good forever.

I've run into that BS site before too,it looks like a TC site but it's not.They ask for all your info and then ask for money. Just make sure you go to the real Transport Canada web site.

As most of you know our pleasure boat licence has to be renewed every ten years, I just started the process on line and did not carefully check the website I was on, in the final stages of filling out forms the method of payment came up requesting $69.00. I decided to get off the page and go back to Search and discovered that there is a Transport Canada site that you can use to renew the licence. I just wanted to let everyone know that you can be easily fooled. So if you are in the same boat. Be careful. I have filled out the Govt form and submitted it If I have any problems, I will post them here
Thankyou for posting this I had no idea aboat the 10 yr renewal, just checked mine good til Nov /30/25. Best Regards

As a, follow up I received my new licence from Transport Canada yesterday, no charge good, for 10 years.

I got mine when I completed the Power Squadron course in 2014, issued by MTAC and it has no expiry date. Don't think boat registration expires as long as you own the boat.

Back