How long does it take for growth to build up on an unpainted hull?

pescador

I’m planning to moor my boat in the water for the first time ever. Usually it’s in dry stack or on the trailer. The fibreglass hull is bare. Never painted. I’m a bit freaked about painting it. I thought I’d give it a few months in the salt water before I paint it in case I sell to get a larger boat (A maybe at best). I think resale is always better sans paint. Anybody know how long it would take for growth to start on the hull in Vancouver salt water? Any temporary method to use to reduce growth till I make the final call to paint? Or should I just paint it.

If your plans are to keep your boat in salt, you want an epoxy barrier coat, then ablative. Mine is in all year now, and I need to do the bottom every 2nd year, but honestly, that could be 3. It also really depends on how often you use the boat and where you primarily tie up. For instance, at Mosquito Creek in the shed, I don't get much build up at all. It probably helps it in shade, but on the coast, it builds up super fast.

For peace of mind, I would definitely do the barrier coat now and 2 coats of csc. I'm hauling out this Sunday so I will see if I need to do the hull this season or not. 100% the drive will get done.

I’m planning to moor my boat in the water for the first time ever. Usually it’s in dry stack or on the trailer. The fibreglass hull is bare. Never painted. I’m a bit freaked about painting it. I thought I’d give it a few months in the salt water before I paint it in case I sell to get a larger boat (A maybe at best). I think resale is always better sans paint. Anybody know how long it would take for growth to start on the hull in Vancouver salt water? Any temporary method to use to reduce growth till I make the final call to paint? Or should I just paint it.
Usually during the growing months (kelp/plankton) especially May and June the growth can be phenomenal depending on your location.

Personally I would paint it ASAP and protect your investment

Ok, thanks guys, sounds like I will need to paint her.
or keep it in the river in Richmond and run down the North Arm. I had a Maxum SCR 27 that I kept at the old Delta marine Hotel, (Pacific Gateway now) and the minimal grass growth in fresh water would get killed off by the ocean water.

Staining can begin within a couple of weeks Depending on where you are tied up. Once staining occurs, you will probably never get it back to looking new.
Stosh

Ever scrubbed barnacles off with 32 degree sun beating down on you? Not fun. Sometimes the pressure washer isn't enough if you go too long. Life can get in the way. That's why we got bottom paint. Never been happier.

You can use a clear wax for temporary mooring ?

CR Greg
Thick turtle wax will do well.
You can hit growth with a brush often, then pull for a pressure wash when the brush doesn't do it.

I would go with the epoxy barrier coat at a minimum, that's good no matter what anyone decides to do in the future.

I know with Interlux they want you to add the bottom paint, within a certain amount of time after the Interprotect 2000, based on environmental conditions. To ensure the bottom paint bonds properly. I’d bite the bullet. Bottom paint is an asset in my opinion. More flexibility on what you do with the boat. If it’s lives on the trailer part time, you would want Interlux Micron CSC or equivalent.

Pull every 4 weeks which prevents barnacles from attaching. Once on the trailer spray with undissolved bleach then head to the wand car wash to rinse off remaining growth and bleach. You may have to re-spray beach on any heavy growth areas… often the stern around tabs and such

Our boat is in the water for the 6 best months. The old Micron has worked well for 3 years

if you want to establish the true waterline; moor it for a week or 2, pull boat, mark waterline, then powerwash. Then expoxycoats and then paint.
Fiberglass is not waterproof and neither is gelcoat. thus the epoxy coats.

I'm going to be in the same situation as Pescador except my boat is aluminum. Thanks to Lionsgate Marin's new arrangement forcing all boats off the premise by the end of June, I now need to find a moorage and leave the boat off of the trailer and leave it in the water.
I take it that all comments and concerns mentioned above apply to aluminum boats as well?

Back