Okanagan sockeye 2022

Is there any chance of seeing any fish next week? Well, any fish at all from an inflateable with oars? Wondering if I should bring a rod up on Thursday.

Nope. It won’t open till august sometime. And as for any other fish, that all depends on where you are gonna be.
Osoyoos. On the strip at the Desert Surfside. We used to fish off the shore under the bridge when we were kids. And of course there's carp under the docks at Safari Beach where I used to own a place. Never tried fishing on this side though.

Wow. 293K now at Bonneville and run hasn't peaked yet, slightly behind the typical June 25-26. Could be 600K sockeye, which would be near-record. But... river flows are high, slow going upstream for them this year. Only 300 at Wells so far. Usually they're in surprisingly good condition in Osoyoos early August, maybe a little more used this year.

n response to those strong salmon runs, the U.S. v. Oregon Technical Advisory Committee on Monday raised the sockeye forecast from 198,000 to 426,000 and the summer king prediction from 56,300 to 66,800.
I think they are going to blow through that 426k. They didn’t count Monday but by the looks of it I’d say it would be about a 45k day which would bring the total to just under 400k already. It’ll take another 2 weeks at least for them to peter out. I’m guessing it’ll be around 500k

Oh shoot my osoyoos trip is actually in august. Definitely bringing the boat
Welcome to the jungle! Chaotic fishery, but happy. Literally everything from canoes to cabin cruisers. No terrain feature that is fished in a linear manner that most people follow. The fish are holding in water that is 100 ft or deeper. So everyone goes any direction they feel like.

General wisdom is to go out early and get your limit before the jet skis and wake boats start up 8 am or so. The launch is busy but well set up, 2 or 3 boats can be launching at once. Parking is challenge though, the 15 or so truck/trailer spaces are gone before 530 am most mornings.

Welcome to the jungle! Chaotic fishery, but happy. Literally everything from canoes to cabin cruisers. No terrain feature that is fished in a linear manner that most people follow. The fish are holding in water that is 100 ft or deeper. So everyone goes any direction they feel like.

General wisdom is to go out early and get your limit before the jet skis and wake boats start up 8 am or so. The launch is busy but well set up, 2 or 3 boats can be launching at once. Parking is challenge though, the 15 or so truck/trailer spaces are gone before 530 am most mornings.
Last time I went out at 6:00 everyday. Boat was in the water all week.

were staying at the cottages on the Oliver side so I should be able to get dock space. And I could park the trailer at my buddies parents place on the other side of town

Back