Okanagan sockeye 2022

sly_karma

Crew Member
We are seeing the beginning of this year's sockeye run coming up the Columbia - daily updating data here. Forecast is for 127,000 returning; last year had a forecast return of 202,000 with an actual result of 273,000. My feeling is we are on the bubble for a sport opening on Osoyoos Lake. Typically the announcement doesn't happen until mid July. The size of the run can be reasonably well assessed from the total over Bonneville Dam by the end of the first week of July.
Forecast

Looking promising. 63,000 so far at Bonneville. Averaged almost 8000 a day this past week. To my untrained eye we appear to be on track to meet or exceed the 127,000 forecast.

Hopefully things stay cool, As i recall the outlet temperatures have to stay below a certain temperature for migration into the lake to occur.

Yes there is a looming problem there. High river temps can amount to a thermal barrier. They stay in Brewster Pool and won't go up the Okanogan. This happened in 2015. Sockeye count now at 88,000 YTD.

Healthy number of Chinook coming up as well, the early elements are already starting to come over Wells Dam. 6000 there already. That is a fun fishery, lots of boats but nice fresh springs and socks in the same session is quite a treat for freshwater guys.

Looks like the run size will be quite close to the forecast of 127,000. Yesterday's count took it to 110,000 over Bonneville. In past years DFO has granted a small recreational opening for returns of greater than 85,000. All depends on water temps in the Okanogan River now.

7700 chinooks over Wells Dam now. In normal times we'd be heading down to Brewster for a shot at the combined spring/sockeye fishery. Oh well.

Word on the street is only around 60000 of those fish are bound for our waters. Don’t expect a fishery this year.

I know some go to Lake Wenatchee, but it's not normally 50% of the river total. Usually about 80/20.

In a recent Northwest Fishing Reports fishing TV episode they were fishing for sockeye (primarily Canada-bound fish) in the Columbia River below the Brewster Dam. Admittedly, I wasn't aware that this US fishery existed. I knew that there were terminal fisheries in US lakes for sockeye (i.e. Baker Lake) but I wasn't aware of the Columbia R sport fishery exploiting Canada-bound fish.

The Pacific Salmon Commission jointly manages salmon fisheries, but afaik they are focused largely on Fraser R stocks through the Fraser River Panel.

Is there a similar joint group that manages the Can/US Columbia River sockeye fishery?

131K over Bonneville as of yesterday. 70K past Rocky Reach, 20K at Wells. Stragglers might take it to 140, about 10% over the forecast. Warm water temps still the big problem, seems unlikely there will be enough fish in Osoyoos Lake for a sport opening.

In a recent Northwest Fishing Reports fishing TV episode they were fishing for sockeye (primarily Canada-bound fish) in the Columbia River below the Brewster Dam. Admittedly, I wasn't aware that this US fishery existed. I knew that there were terminal fisheries in US lakes for sockeye (i.e. Baker Lake) but I wasn't aware of the Columbia R sport fishery exploiting Canada-bound fish.

The Pacific Salmon Commission jointly manages salmon fisheries, but afaik they are focused largely on Fraser R stocks through the Fraser River Panel.

Is there a similar joint group that manages the Can/US Columbia River sockeye fishery?
Okanagan Nation Alliance

Thanks BGM. I had a look at their website and see no indication that the OFN has any governance over US Columbia River recreational sockeye openings . Or do they?
The ONA pretty much decides whether there is an opening in Canada, not sure about the state of Washington though. Sure seems like the ONA calls the shots for all Okanagan bound sockeye since they single handedly brought those fish back from extinction.

fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0674-RECREATIONAL - SALMON: Sockeye - Region 8 - Okanagan Sockeye Update - July 14, 2021

The current run size of Okanagan Sockeye past Wells Dam is 12,489. This value is well below the 80,000 required to initiate a recreational opportunity as indicated in the 2021/2022 South Coast Salmon - Integrated Fisheries Management Plan.

All recreational fisheries directed on this stock will remain closed until further notice.

VO# 2021-RCT-382

The Department will continue to review stock status and environmental conditions to help inform future fisheries management decisions and fishing opportunities; updated information will be announced by fishery notice.

Notes:

No Fishing for anadromous Salmon in Skaha Lake. Kokanee and Sockeye are present in Skaha Lake, which vary in size. See your local provincial regulations to confirm kokanee size restrictions of under 35cm, no fish over 35 cm may be retained.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336 or the British Columbia's toll-free RAPP line (Report All Poachers and Polluters) at 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

For More Information:

Kory Ryde 250-299-6386

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0674
Sent July 13, 2021 at 0809

I'm hoping those with more knowledge can help me here. The sockeye run is still moving up the Columbia and over 70,000 have passed Wells Dam now. This is only half of the 150,000 that have passed Bonneville, but the fish counter at Wells is still averaging above a thousand a day, so they're still en route. I know that there is a decent run into Lake Wenatchee near Leavenworth, but there's no major drop in numbers between Rocky Reach and Rock Island (upstream of the Wenatchee River mouth), so one can surmise a good number are moving on to Wells and the Okanogan.

The DFO called no sport opening when the count at Wells was just 12K, but it seems reasonable to project over 80K will make it into Brewster Pool. They'll likely stay there because of low, warm water in the Okanogan River, but why the early call? - at least a week earlier than usual.

Fish Counter

Back