OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Fished Cap from 7:30 am to noon. Caught one chrome Chinook in the first 15 min on an anchovy and that was it. Saw a few fish caught, but not a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fished cap today as well 8:00 til 2:00. One solid hit but never got a chance to see it. A guy next to us had a chinook that looked pretty close to 30 pounds. Bon Chovy had a couple boats out and one said they had two springs. Everyone said they were dragging bottom....

I went 2 for 3 between 700am and 845am at the Cap today. Kept two in the low teens to call it a a day and, not surprisingly, the one that got away (5 minutes after starting) was the largest. Spent close to half an hour fighting with / fixing one dowrigger and caught my second keeper when I was fishing with one rigger and one rod. Paid the price for letting one rigger down to bottom too quickly and having the excess braid, after bouncing off bottom, wrap under the spool, vs on the spool, when I tried to pull it back up just off bottom. Wish there was a fail safe for that. May try again Sundy a.m. ... will be interesting to see whether the rain chases the fish up the river and whether it brings some fresh fish in ... the fish were a little dark this a.m.

I think they all swam upstream, I was out there last eve at the Cap and didn't touch a thing only marked a couple fish on the sounder, water was very dirty due to all the rain so I'm thinking the local flows are up, and that's where they all went. Still haven't seen the fall push of coho yet so hope they are still coming, otherwise it's a long run with flat water for me to get out to Sandheads
JC

We got out saturday and decided to start at the cap. Gave it 5 passes with 1 shaker. Seen a couple landed and marked a few but overall slow. We decided to pull gear and rip down to sandheads. First 5 min boxed a football shaped low 20s marble. Had 1 more hit and released a pink. Then it was dead slow. Trolled back all the way to t10 without a sniff for low slack and called it a day.

It's been a slow couple of weeks for us at the cap in terms of coho. I checked my photos from the past few years and they are usually here in thick numbers in the first week of September. Is the main fall run still to come this year?

Lots of boats at the cap this morning. Only fish I saw caught was the 10lb chum we landed. Picked up and headed to find greener pastures. On the way to where we wanted to go we started marking huge amounts of bait so decided to fish at an unlikely spot. Managed to hook 8 springs in the next 1.5hrs and only a couple other boats around. Brought home a 28lb white, my biggest so far. For the most part too busy to see how others were doing but I'm sure they were into fish too. Hoochies fished as well as chovies today.

Conditions looking perfect for tomorrow with light SE winds. We'll be off at around 8:30 for Sandheads. Will have a bud who guides out of Tahsis as 1st mate helping to battle the seals this time. :D
If anyone's heading out as well and looking to share intel Tiderunner on 16.

On fire out here now conditions are perfect big big fish being caught by numerous boats we just boxed probably one in the 35 to 40 pound range and so did the boat next to us

Go to Sandheads. On fire right now! Guys are tubbing out on Harrison Whites. Odd red chinook in the mix

I know a few engines just fired up....

CohoOn....30+ lb White must have fought like a bull! Nice one!

Sounds like there's action at the bell today, just heard of a 20# taken

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like there's action at the bell today, just heard of a 20# taken

Never mind the Bell Buoy! Go south! T-10 to Sandheads!

Predator Charters guided a ridiculous number of Chinook for late September...as in double digits...catch and release. Bonchovy has multiple boats out and I just spoke with the first Captain back to the dock and they killed 6 and were well into the double digits. Pacific Angler was down there as well and was seen with many Chinook on, usually doubled up. Even heard of 3 triple headers. At Burrard Civic I went down to visit my friend who came back to the dock with a 33.6, a 31, a high twenties, a low twenties and a mid teen. Some boats ran out of bait and then put down hoochies, sped up a bit then whamo! The bite kept on going. Haven't talked to Solowey but heard he was slamming fish....everyone was loving it.

Just 25-30 boats down there...last day of nice weather tomorrow....take the day off, call in sick, whatever....get out there!

Ensure you take 2 packs of Chovies and have a dozen Anchovy rigs pre-tied!!! These are the largest Chinooks of the year!

Back