OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I'm livening these reports so much I'm heading to pick up my boat northern island and bring it home I'll be out Saturday hope they stick around for a bit !!!!

GH

Got word from the Juan's that a good number of whites are still being caught south. Another solid week or two of good fish I reckon.

Tomorrow looks like an outstanding day for the south arm, see y'all there...

Anybody out here with some extra bait?

Buddy's "brined" bait was ****....will pay good money.

When they are as thick as they are today Scott hoochies will slay 'em too...too bad I'm not out there..I have bunch of Tubby Tomics hanging in the garage which I reserve for days like this.. They would be pulling fish as good as if not better than the bait today.

Another boat fishing close to you is into "Charlottes Numbers" crazy.

If you're at sandheads, you'll see it. Usually stacked up in front of the light station in 1-200 feet of water.

Going to be interesting to see if the Firefighter's Derby entrants try to grind a winner out of the Cap or spend some fuel to go find a Tyee--a winning fish.

Was out at T10 the other day, only one there. Got one 20lb, lost two right at the boat. Also a couple of wild Coho. Was not a hotspot but they did bite. All on Anchovy and Green flasher at 70-85ft. Was flat calm out there, alot of boats were headed to Sandheads.

Pardon my interjection in a thread I'm not involved in,
I would use nothing less than 40lb on these fish.
why would you risk breaking off a Tyee ?

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pardon my interjection in a thread I'm not involved in,
I would using nothing less than 40lb on these fish.
why would you risk breaking off a Tyee ?

:eek:

x2.

30 lb Mainline and 40 lb test on the Chovy leaders.

seems to be a massive range in fish size the last few days. Was at one of the local cleaning tables last night and i saw some boats with nothing but high teens and thr next boat over has mid-high twenties. Among 8 boats there were 5 over 30, 7 over 20 and and 10 under 20.

They don't break off they cut the leader, just stick your fingers in their mouth to feel how sharp the teeth are. I learned the hard way many years ago which is why I only use 40# leaders

I was under the impression that heavier leaders impaired the roll of the chovie. I've never tested this but always just accepted it as truth and rolled with the 25lbs. I'm heading out tomorrow so will tie some some new ones.

In my opinion 25lb is plenty. If the fish breaks off it was probably due to a knicked leader that would have likely broken if you're using 40lb too.

25 gives you two advantages in my opinion. Better action from chovies or spoons, and if you're going to break a fish off its probably going to be at the hook and you'll still have your flasher and teaser head. If you use 40 either your rod or mainline will break and you're looking at minimum a lost flasher and teaser head.

I'm new at this though, and everyone had their own opinions

Ran across to sandheads from Ladysmith this morning. Dropped lines at 8:00, had several good hits on both anchovy and a hootchie. Long line released two, then at 11:00 ish landed a 17-18 lb marble on a purple onion flashed, green teaser, 7 ft leader, at 55 ft all in 300 ft range of water. Nice day on the water for the ride home.

Back