OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

man the slabs are out now! I havent heard of 30+ and bigger even mid 20's being caught that often in a LONG time out that way.. how long of a trek is it to sandheads from the cap?

It is probably close to 14 miles, as it is about 11 from QA to Sandheads. hope the weather holds.

Oh man, my vacation days have run out! I need to get out there and KABONG some of these fish! Hopefully the wind holds for my next set of days off. Or maybe I should tell the boss I have the Tyee Flu?

Nakoda, T10 is the red marker at the middle arm of mouth of the Fraser river, about half way between North arm jetty and south arm (sandheads).

So after hearing about some great morning reports from yesterday at sandheads I snuck out after work with a buddy for a quick 2 hr fish last night. Given the time/tide we decided to drop in at the North arm but not much on the sonar so we picked up after 15 mins and headed to t10 at around 5:30pm (mid-ebb). Shockingly, we were the only boat there... I guess everyone else was at sandheads?? We got a nice 15# white spring on our first tack and also had a couple shakers that we popped off. On our second pass we hooked into a nice one that peeled a ton of line on one big long run to start. Pretty docile after that but it fought for another 10-15 mins. Our plan going into the night was to release anything bigger than mid-20's but unfortunately when this one got to the boat I could see a decent amount of blood coming from the gills so she ended up in the net and now in the freezer. Taped out at 39x23 so just over 31lbs. Sounds like there have been several tyees caught (some released) over the past few days which is great to see. Both our fish were at 55' on chovies.

Attachments

• tyee - fraser 2015.jpg
    tyee - fraser 2015.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 649
Nakoda, T10 is the red marker at the middle arm of mouth of the Fraser river, about half way between North arm jetty and south arm (sandheads).

So after hearing about some great morning reports from yesterday at sandheads I snuck out after work with a buddy for a quick 2 hr fish last night. Given the time/tide we decided to drop in at the North arm but not much on the sonar so we picked up after 15 mins and headed to t10 at around 5:30pm (mid-ebb). Shockingly, we were the only boat there... I guess everyone else was at sandheads?? We got a nice 15# white spring on our first tack and also had a couple shakers that we popped off. On our second pass we hooked into a nice one that peeled a ton of line on one big long run to start. Pretty docile after that but it fought for another 10-15 mins. Our plan going into the night was to release anything bigger than mid-20's but unfortunately when this one got to the boat I could see a decent amount of blood coming from the gills so she ended up in the net and now in the freezer. Taped out at 39x23 so just over 31lbs. Sounds like there have been several tyees caught (some released) over the past few days which is great to see. Both our fish were at 55' on chovies.

Awesome fish Tincan. Just out of curiosity - what formula are you using to get the weight? We have always used girth x girth x length / 800 and used that in tournaments etc. No doubt that's a beauty but it looks like you may not get the Tyee pin... the weight would be 25.8 lbs using the formula. I may be wrong but more just wondering what formula you guys are using....

ya, that's the same one I typically use. I plugged the numbers into this website - http://www.csgnetwork.com/fishfreshwtcalc.html which was the first one that popped up in google and it came out 31.8 or something. Doing the math by hand, however, I see its closer to 26. Either way, I'm not too worried :) Was a great fish and fish we could have let her swim away. I actually just searched for an app and found a good free one called "FishCalcLite" so I'll use it from now on. Cheers, tincan

Wind just dropped off and flat calm out here now ar sandheads but so has the bite. We got 3 in the box from earlier lost a ouple undersize as well.

Wind just dropped off and flat calm out here now ar sandheads but so has the bite. We got 3 in the box from earlier lost a ouple undersize as well.

Keep us posted. Will be out at the crack of dawn.....forecasts for rain timing are all over the place but wind looks fine with the rain starting maybe around noon according to www.windyty.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep us posted. Will be out at the crack of dawn.....forecasts for rain timing are all over the place but wind looks fine with the rain starting maybe around noon according to www.windyty.com

Pips....texting you now.

Just back and another fantastic day...will provide some details later this evening that might help you tomorrow.

I stopped in at sandheads on my way back from Victoria at 1pm and had a small spring pull my spoon off the clip while I was still lowering it. Lots more on the sounder but no more action in the 45 mins I had

Was pretty nice out today. Had a bit of a flurry at 930 and another at 230 to finish the day. Finished with a double too which was nice. Coho and springs. Springs were all scrappy whites in the 20 to 25lb range. 3 springs on purple haze teaser and chartreuse double glow at 85ft, 1 on a uv green teaser and red racer at 55ft. The coho hit everything. Most of our action was nw of the fleet in 250ft to 400ft of water too. Didn't matter the bait size really, had herring and both 5.25" as well as 5.5" anchovy and all got action. The last spring had an undigested herring still in its clear herring teaser head in its stomach, no hooks though, and that one hit an anchovy. Be back out Friday!

20150922_113915.jpg
This was the big one of the bunch yesterday at 34. Out again today with two buds and to my surprise action was just as good as yesterday. Pretty rare I manage to find two back to back days so good. As mentioned in another report we found our best luck both days away from the fleet in 300 plus feet of water and was consistent between 10am and 4pm when we had to pack it in. Must have had 12 fish hit and brought home 4. Just huge fish busting off gear and once spooling my newbee bud who was doing amazing considering being up against monsters his first time out. Think he's hooked!
Been fishing salted chovey with scent don't think teaser head really makes difference after we caught them with various bloody nose,purple haze and some other beaten up orange/red chrome thing that a guy gave me in poet's Nook years ago that we finally lost today. 55 to 60 feet always for everything.
Make it a tight roll at about 1.5 revs per second and game on!:)

This incredible year just gets better!

Nice fish CohoOn. Thanks for the update on what was working. Good luck to those heading out tomorrow. Looks like you'll need the rain gear. Hopefully it doesn't send all those monsters upriver.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Was just talking to a couple of guys who are there right now. It's on fire! One guide said he has boated a dozen.

Throw on some green varieties of hoochie if you got em. 32-36 inch 40lb leader behind green flasher of your choice should do the trick if you ran outta bait.

Back