OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Just arrived in Sandheads conditions are perfect flying solo today we'll see how this works out. Only four other boats out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the solo thing was a bit of a bust. About half hour after getting there in 400 feet of water chovy at 57 feet the rod goes off and game on. Wouldn't you know couple of quick runs and this has to be the first fish of the year that comes to the boat and then proceeds for a hard run straight down and out the other side of the boat around the other down rigger cable. Manged to get the line out around the motors and thread the whole rod under the rigger boom and out to clear the line and the fish is off for a run and I put the rod in the holder for a moment to clear the second rod and canon ball in order to prevent another near disaster. When I get back on the rod I look out to see an F-ing seal surfacing right in the area where the fish was. I reeled like mad managed to get the fish right to the side of the boat while watching the seal chasing this nice spring the whole way in. The freakin seal was right up against the boat looking right at me and I yelled at it to no avail and while reaching for the gaff to try and club the thing it managed to get a good hold of the fish and headed off with fish and all the gear. Second time this season....think I need to start bringing a pellet gun with me. If I had someone on the net we would have had it for sure. On the upside I landed one nice hatch coho about 40 minutes later and then dead from about 4:30 till 7. Was a magic evening with nice sunny skies over Richmond and some amazing dark cloud front coming in from the Island. Didn't see any other action. Flat calm out there.Still the odd one out there but both fish were in the deeper water. Took several passes past the green buoy with no luck so seems like they could be holding in deeper water than last week.
20150916_180037[1].jpg20150916_173800[1].jpg

I feel your pain CohoOn. Those seals are a plague. As if it isn't challenging enough fishing solo, without the frigging seals making a meal out of your nice spring. Congrats on the nice tyee at the cap Murph. The 30 pounders used to be pretty regular at the cap in the old days. It's like winning the lotto to pull a Tyee out of the harbour these days, nice work.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Also to all the guys who run solo a gaff is handy, but what is more helpful is rigging your net with a long lead from the but end of the net to a Scotty release clip. Clip the rigger release to the bottom of the net bag. The clip keeps the bag open to net the fish properly by yourself. The clip pops off when the fish is netted. Scotty sells some of there nets rigged that way these days, but you can easily add it to your own net that doesn't come with that setup. The best aid to landing a fish solo that has been invented.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

CohoOn. I was sealed at the bell a few weeks ago, but after the commotion, all I could do is laugh and have a good story to tell. Gets the heart pounding and adrenalin going, wether I loose a monster at the boat, get sealed or land a fish of a life time.
It all goes into the memory bank and makes me smile when I tell the story, or just think about those days when having a bad day.

Good times

Have to admit it was quite the adrenaline rush trying to battle both the salmon and the seal at the same time right at the side of the boat. The seal was on it's back looking straight up at me while repeatedly trying to snatch the salmon. There's a thousand stories in the Naked Ocean and this is just one of them...yes it will make for a good fish tale in coming years.

I don't set the hook when a fish has popped the clip on its own.

I actually don't do a "jerk" hook set anymore, after reading and applying some tips from other forum members. Even if the fish hasn't taken it out of the clip, I just real down onto it until it pops and I feel a solid connection with the fish.

I don't land all my fish but definitely have increase my landing % over the last few years.

Ok thanks. Sounds like a good way to go.
Hope I can apply these tips this afternoon!
Gonna fish the low slack and a bit of the flood at the Cap this afternoon.

Any reports from today? Heading out to fish the morning tide at the cap, then thinking of bouncing over to the North Arm depending how the morning goes.

Anyone going to try sandheads Friday morning... Not looking forward to weather. Hopefully it holds off for morning to early noon. 15 se should not be bad for waves but probably going to put the top on for rain...

Was out the Sandheads today... Lost a spring to seal and released a 8 lb. wild coho...both on anchovies

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

was out at the Cap at 9ish this morn 15# red at 9:30 then towed a couple guys across to Ambleside launch when they wrapped the rigger cable around the wheel and were dead in the water. Guess karma is a good thing 'cause 10 mins after I dropped them off I hit a 25# marbled and had quite a time landing that one with the eddy currents and my second line down, if I can figure out how to get pics from my phone to here I will post 'em

Was out the Sandheads today... Lost a spring to seal and released a 8 lb. wild coho...both on anchovies

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club!:) Swear to God they are simply hanging around the boats knowing it leads to an easy meal.

no fish for us today except a few shakers and mr stella sea lion making an appearance
along with the grey whale

out tomorrow local to gibsons well shall see if there is any still heading to Van ....lol

Fixing my boat right now... these awesome reports are killing me! Managed to scrape up a pathetic 1lb perch casting a rooster tail yesterday.20150916_225109.jpg20150916_225109.jpg

image.jpg

Got my buddy a gooder this morning , 115' naked herring above a dummy , crazy 20 min acrobatic fight. Seen 5 - 6 other fish hooked up so far,mix of coho and chinook

I'd give her a bit over twenty , boxed 2 more , bite died down for us around 1030, at the bell right now image.jpg

Hopefully there is a bite on tomorrow....if the winds stay down alittle bite. Nice fish.

Back