OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

was out this afternoon solo at the N arm. fishing about 150' line towards T10. had a monster hit the herring side and peeling line before i could get there. managed to catch up and play for a bit. meantime other side is going off and finally pops the clip. finally got the big one to a decent netting position but one handing a 25+ fish in lumpy seas was tough. anyways it took a final run under the boat into the kicker and gone. other side was still there and landed a about a 10lb. re rigged and circled around and got another about 10lb. keep replaying that lost one though. Creel guy at the launch said they are much smaller now indicating the run is nearing completion? any truth to that?
Cheers

Nice fish Tight Lines. If i had the option to fish later in the flood tide i would have as well as we've always had our best success then as well. You see any other boats landing fish?

Sand heads

Nice fish Tight Lines. If i had the option to fish later in the flood tide i would have as well as we've always had our best success then as well. You see any other boats landing fish?

Very quiet, saw a few nets however all missed their fish.

Trolled from North Arm down to South arm Monday starting at 11am. Nothing until we hit a bite on the low slack just past the T10 around 1:30 at 130ft, landed one red and one marble white spring in the mid teens. Arrived at the south Arm and the bite seemed to start just after 5pm, kept crisscrossing a tide line just North of the Green Bouy in 120ft. Landed another red spring in the low teens, then lost a minimum 25lb spring after it screamed out line for 2 minutes and then snapped a 40lb flouro leader. Looks like the line must have been nicked from one of the previous battles .... lesson learned, always check your gear thoroughy before re-baiting, especially with these bigger fish lurking. Last big hit was at 15 feet pulling up riggers on a bait check .... couldn't make it stick.

All fish on 5 1/2 chovies and spackle back glow green teaser. 40 to 70 feet on the riggers. All-in all this is great fishing for mid-September !!!!

tyee

Picked up a tyee yesterday off the cap as well as a nice red 14 lber and good healthy hatchery coho. Big fish slammed the rod at 110 in like 90 some feet of water. Bent the rod right over and just started screaming out line with the drag pretty tight. Fight was good, had some good arm burn going on. We ended up way out of bounds getting it in, was under the bridge. Had a big whale show in under there as we were getting things back together. Pretty epic. Big girl hit an inch chovy in chartreuse spatter back. Was 29.4 after bleeding it out completely so thinking over 30 for sure.

Attachments

• 20150914_164908.jpg
    20150914_164908.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 564
Wow!! Well done dmurph!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There's a real one , nice job Murph. Orcas in under the bridge or that grey whale that's been hanging around?

4 on, none in the boat from T10 to Sandheads, all before lunch, not a thing after that.

Nice fish Murph, cap is producing eh?

That's a great fish Dave congrats!

We started at Sandheads 11:00am trolled to T-10 and lost a good one to a seal and landed a 10 lb spring. Got to T-10 for low slack and hit two 12 lb sisters within 10 min. Ran back to Sandheads around 3:00pm and boxed a 15 lb springs
and a nice 7 lb hatchery coho. Beautiful flat day on the water today. All fish on anchovies with various glow teaser heads between 55' - 90'.

Thanks fellas, funny story was, I really planned to go fish sand heads for the flood with a stop at the bell for a bit of the low. As we approached the bell we heard of a couple nice fish. One of them fish ended up being another tyee caught by Mongoose Stryker, his was real bright though. Anyhow we fished the bell for awhile with no luck and then the wind seemed to be kicking up. Wife wanted to fish the cap and I was reluctant as we put the previous two nights in with nothing. I went to the cap and it was even rougher there, making me even more sour regarding the change in plans. Despite my poor attitude the wife was convinced she was gonna get a big beast fish at the cap , her favorite hunt. Well she was right, it worked out perfect we even had the boy napping down in the cuddy. Only problem was she was napping also and the beast fish hit my side instead of hers

Thanks fellas, funny story was, I really planned to go fish sand heads for the flood with a stop at the bell for a bit of the low. As we approached the bell we heard of a couple nice fish. One of them fish ended up being another tyee caught by Mongoose Stryker, his was real bright though. Anyhow we fished the bell for awhile with no luck and then the wind seemed to be kicking up. Wife wanted to fish the cap and I was reluctant as we put the previous two nights in with nothing. I went to the cap and it was even rougher there, making me even more sour regarding the change in plans. Despite my poor attitude the wife was convinced she was gonna get a big beast fish at the cap , her favorite hunt. Well she was right, it worked out perfect we even had the boy napping down in the cuddy. Only problem was she was napping also and the beast fish hit my side instead of hers

That's a great story!

Thanks High Tide. Can i ask you your brine procedure/recipe and is it with the whole fish first of just after you make the strips and how far in advance?

As said Coho On, I do not brine strip. I do brine chovy and herring if I am either fishing them whole or herring cut plug. I will also cut strip on the boat from the brined herring but prefer semi frozen as said. Just take 1/2 cup or so coarse salt on the bottom of a small 6 pack cooler, put in chovys or herring, cover liberally with another 1/2 -1 cup of salt, add a cup of water ........ Vavoom, either keep in a cool place , fridge or freezer for next use. Keep cool during the day of use. I will precut strip but place carefully in order back in pack and freeze. Keep frozen till use. You can also use green, yellow or blue color to your brine.

5-7pm last night at the coal ports, a feisty 18 lb white that wrapped itself around the leg of the kicker then the rigger then my buddy's line, all in about 7 seconds, somehow managed to still land it. 55ft with an anchovy

Picked up a tyee yesterday off the cap as well as a nice red 14 lber and good healthy hatchery coho. Big fish slammed the rod at 110 in like 90 some feet of water. Bent the rod right over and just started screaming out line with the drag pretty tight. Fight was good, had some good arm burn going on. We ended up way out of bounds getting it in, was under the bridge. Had a big whale show in under there as we were getting things back together. Pretty epic. Big girl hit an inch chovy in chartreuse spatter back. Was 29.4 after bleeding it out completely so thinking over 30 for sure.

First post for me here, liking the forum and Wow, what a monster! I wonder if that was the same fish that was working on spooling me on Monday afternoon! We made a few passes pulling chovies with no luck so tried a glow spoon that hooked something big. I backed off the drag a tad to reduce the chance of a break (snapped one off on the weekend) but maybe too much cuz the reel started to really scream. Put the boat in neutral and kept tension with the reel but soon after lost it. Thought it was heading back but it was gone. It's hard to know the best way to play those big guys! Made a couple more passes and gave up. At least we had something to talk about other than smelly furry mammals! Lol

First post for me here, liking the forum and Wow, what a monster! I wonder if that was the same fish that was working on spooling me on Monday afternoon! We made a few passes pulling chovies with no luck so tried a glow spoon that hooked something big. I backed off the drag a tad to reduce the chance of a break (snapped one off on the weekend) but maybe too much cuz the reel started to really scream. Put the boat in neutral and kept tension with the reel but soon after lost it. Thought it was heading back but it was gone. It's hard to know the best way to play those big guys! Made a couple more passes and gave up. At least we had something to talk about other than smelly furry mammals! Lol

Sometimes it is best to keep the boat moving rather than neutral so always some tension on the line. And consider setting the drag and not adjusting it mid hookup. If more drag is needed just palm your reel.

Fishing solo. Lost one of the cap mouth around 9. Headed towards ambleside after the ebb started. Just got an 11 pound chrome chum at the pink apartment. 100 ft deep on strip and flasher. Hey it was no type but those chum sure do scrap.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sometimes it is best to keep the boat moving rather than neutral so always some tension on the line. And consider setting the drag and not adjusting it mid hookup. If more drag is needed just palm your reel.

Ya I think I'll just keep moving next time and hope they tire before the line is gone. I was palming the reel but I might have lost him when he turned. Should we be setting the hook as well if they're running hard like that? I'm thinking it might not have been deep enough if he could spit it so easily when he stopped.

I don't set the hook when a fish has popped the clip on its own.

I actually don't do a "jerk" hook set anymore, after reading and applying some tips from other forum members. Even if the fish hasn't taken it out of the clip, I just real down onto it until it pops and I feel a solid connection with the fish.

I don't land all my fish but definitely have increase my landing % over the last few years.

Back