OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Anything NW15 and up is pretty sloppy for that area
Yesterday what they called NW15 at the bell was unfisheable,
We had water over the bow and breaking on the isinglass above the windshield of the gulfstream.
Always be on your toes and watching for changing weather systems

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap![/QUOTE

Tim is correct, this can be some of the worse scenarios for the river mouths, be very careful boys, the wind and the tide make for some crazy water.

I use a gaff when solo. If I'm not positive it's legal only then do I use a net.
I use a gaff as well, it takes some practice on a decent fish, but it is quite effective.

Hey Bigguy where are you getting the strip or are you cutting your own? Grew up fishing strip, there was a great article earlier this year in BCO about cutting strip.

Weathered the choppy sea yesterday between N Rm Iona and T10 . Pretty choppy out there only two or three other boats fished the area as well. We managed three springs. No biggies but decent. All no deeper then 90 feet, bait for us. Glad we went yesterday the wind looks bad for the weekend.

Fish safe.

I use a gaff when solo. If I'm not positive it's legal only then do I use a net.

Thanks for the info. Before that fish, I'd only caught small ones solo. I'll do better next time. I'm also using manual downriggers which I think is a big part of the problem. I tried to hold the rod, steer the boat, get the net.....etc. but forgot to crank up the downriggers which would have been kind of hard anyways seeing as I only have two arms. It ended up wrapped around a downrigger cable and was gone. Oh well, at least I caught one on what was otherwise a slow day. Caught it with a herring in a chovy teaser at 60 feet.

How do you hold the rod or back away far enough to get the fish close enough to the boat to gaff?

I hold the fishing line in my hand and use that to control the fish while I gaff it or net it

Another thing that I do is I continuously turned down my drag and completely play out the fish before I bring it near the boat

This past Thursday we launched from McDonald Beach and when we got to the end of the jetty the conditions were not nice (at least in my opinion not fishable for my 18' Malibu). So no fishing that day. I've been reading what other members use and found that some of you use "Buoyweather" so I downloaded the app.

This is what the app is showing me for a point near the Bell (at least I think this is where the Bell is).

photo (2).jpg

As you can see, it's telling me that the conditions are not that bad but I think something is not right because it does not tell me the wind speed in knots.

Here is what I'm seeing from BigWaveDave prediction #1 and as you can see, it the fishing conditions DO NOT look good.

BigWaveDave.jpg

As pointed out in an earlier post there are Gale force conditions in the area south of Nanaimo (and I realize that this is quite a huge area so this may not be applicable at the bell) so based on these other 2 indicators I'm not sure I believe what I'm seeing on Buoyweather app. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong but I've installed the software a couple of times.

I chose to stay home this morning based on these other 2 indicators and I believe I did the right thing.

If there is anyone that uses Buoyweather, can you tell me what you are seeing with regards to the forecast for the bell area?

I just realized that it's probably because I have not paid for the service!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a bit of a crap shoot. I use big wave dave as well and it was wrong last weekend. I just looked at environment canada land based stations and sand heads light house shows NW20 and point atkinson NW4. So going by that i would say it is worse to the south and the bell might be fishable.

Stayed in the harbour this a.m. ... Picked a 16 lb up at the Cap before the tide started to run too much and then trolled out to the QB and started to see some fish on the sounder ... Released one just undersized, had a good fish that didn't stick and then boxed a 15lb to call it a day.

Sorry for the late reply get bent. I cut my own herring strip from frozen whole herring. It's a pain, but the only way to get it is to cut strip yourself these days.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

IMO its best to use Halibit Bank and Sand Heads for info around Vancouver especially for NW winds.Pt Atkinson is in a big wind shadow on NW and can be horribly inaccurate, i often look but never take it seriously. When looking at either of the other two don't just check the prediction/current conditions, check the previous 24 hours to see what the sea/wind have been doing. This is often more important than current conditions. It takes a long time for the energy in the water to dissipate after many hours of strong winds. So both what is happening and what was happening should be taken together to attempt to produce a picture.

Sea conditions are about time and energy not just what is happening right this second.

My Go tos:
EC current/past/future for Halibut Bank and Sand Heads
EC General Weather forecast for Vancouver (basically looking for sun/clouds/rain not wind)
Jericho Sailing Center for current/past conditions plus web cam (not always accurate for all wind directions but seems good on a NW)
Big Wave Dave to compare his forecast to EC

re: pt atkinson
HB currently reading WNW 14 gust 18
SH currently reading NNW 14
Pt Atk currently reading W 6

Pt Atkinson is basically in the middle

IMO its best to use Halibit Bank and Sand Heads for info around Vancouver especially for NW winds.Pt Atkinson is in a big wind shadow on NW and can be horribly inaccurate, i often look but never take it seriously. When looking at either of the other two don't just check the prediction/current conditions, check the previous 24 hours to see what the sea/wind have been doing. This is often more important than current conditions. It takes a long time for the energy in the water to dissipate after many hours of strong winds. So both what is happening and what was happening should be taken together to attempt to produce a picture.

Sea conditions are about time and energy not just what is happening right this second.

My Go tos:
EC current/past/future for Halibut Bank and Sand Heads
EC General Weather forecast for Vancouver (basically looking for sun/clouds/rain not wind)
Jericho Sailing Center for current/past conditions plus web cam (not always accurate for all wind directions but seems good on a NW)
Big Wave Dave to compare his forecast to EC

re: pt atkinson
HB currently reading WNW 14 gust 18
SH currently reading NNW 14
Pt Atk currently reading W 6

Pt Atkinson is basically in the middle

Thanks for taking time to reply and for your insight on how to look at the entire picture. I had not heard of the Jericho Sailing Center and will take a look at the information they have.

Any report on conditions out there today? Anyone out really early or after 6pm....wondering if perhaps conditions aren't so bad then.

Any report on conditions out there today? Anyone out really early or after 6pm....wondering if perhaps conditions aren't so bad then.

It was blowing hard off of the Bell Buoy all day and to the South (we went to T10 in the Morning but there were sets of 6-8 ft swells rolling through - they were breaking and it was wet when they were hitting the sides). We returned to the Bell Buoy and it was rough but manageable closer in the Vancouver Harbour. We then went to the Cap in the late morning and it was rough but much better but the rip tides crept up and made it bumpy.

We lost something off the Bell Buoy, picked up a nice ~6 pound hatchery coho closer in the Harbour and a nice ~13 pound white spring at the Cap.

We wanted to give it a shot today and launch at Ambleside this morning but it was just too rough. A guy who launched his fibreglass boat before the high tide lost his kicker to the sea and couldn't retrieve the boat. It was quite a stressful scene to watch when the two of them were trying to keep the boat away from rocks and engine got flooded. Anyhow, once they got the main engine working and they realized that they couldn't tie the boat to the dock . Still don't know why they decided to go out on such nasty conditions. I just feel bad for the guy who lost his kicker but it could be worse. Not a good morning to be on the waters. It was blowing 21 at Jericho and 18 at point Atkinson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We wanted to give it a shot today and launch at Ambleside this morning but it was just too rough. A guy who launched his fibreglass boat before the high tide lost his kicker to the sea and couldn't retrieve the boat. It was quite a stressful scene to watch when the two of them were trying to keep the boat away from rocks and engine got flooded. Anyhow, once they got the main engine working and they realized that they couldn't tie the boat to the dock . Still don't know why they decided to go out on such nasty conditions. I just feel bad for the guy who lost his kicker but it could be worse. Not a good morning to be on the waters. It was blowing 21 at Jericho and 18 at point Atkinson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may have been a good hint to not go on the water eh !

Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
GALE WARNING IN EFFECT
Forecast Weather Conditions Ice Conditions Warnings Synopsis
Winds

Issued 04:00 AM PDT 13 September 2015
Today Tonight and Monday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 25 to 35 knots diminishing to northwest 20 to 25 near noon and to northwest 5 to 15 Monday morning.

Rough out there yesterday. Lost one at the bellbuoy and nothing at the cap. One of our crew also lost his breakfast over the side... And... lost two white boat fenders (forgot to remove them when leaving)... so if anyone found a white fender floating in english bay let me know! (reward - beer at the very least...)

Back