OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

How'd he manage to loose the kicker? Did smash the back of the boat against rocks/wharf and tear the whole thing off the transom?

How'd he manage to loose the kicker? Did smash the back of the boat against rocks/wharf and tear the whole thing off the transom?

I think he hit the back of the boat against the concrete wall by the ramp when offloading the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went out today at 4pm once the winds had stopped. Trolled south from the North arm and hooked up with a nice 17 lbs spring at 7:15, 24' on a Chovie. We were in real right.

Had a great time tonight at the Cap. Bagged a 18 pound marbled spring and a fat hatchery Coho. And lost a big spring that jumped three times and straightened out my treble after three crazy runs. Still teasing my fishing partner about his cheap hooks. The springs hit Anchovies at 85 feet trolling in 100 feet of water. The Coho hit on Herring at thirty feet. Got a bonus Grey whale show tonight too. The big guy hung around for over an hour right in tight to Ambleside beach.

On our way today as well Kabong we're in a 20 foot light grey Tiderunner blue canvas ...try us on 16 we can share intell.

Had a great time tonight at the Cap. Bagged a 18 pound marbled spring and a fat hatchery Coho. And lost a big spring that jumped three times and straightened out my treble after three crazy runs. Still teasing my fishing partner about his cheap hooks. The springs hit Anchovies at 85 feet trolling in 100 feet of water. The Coho hit on Herring at thirty feet. Got a bonus Grey whale show tonight too. The big guy hung around for over an hour right in tight to Ambleside beach.

Was out on my buddies boat Saturday and saw a grey whale too, just outside the freighters. Anybody else see it cruising around?

Sorry for the late reply get bent. I cut my own herring strip from frozen whole herring. It's a pain, but the only way to get it is to cut strip yourself these days.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

A guy in Victoria cuts strips and has been doing so with improving results over the last couple of years.

I believe Trotac holds them, but that doesn't help you over here in Vancouver.

Cheers.

Hey Bigguy where are you getting the strip or are you cutting your own? Grew up fishing strip, there was a great article earlier this year in BCO about cutting strip.

Hey Getbent,
I have cut my own for years. The secret is cutting it semi frozen so it's stiff and easy to cut with a good sharp filet knife. It's important to NOT let the bait slip around or you loose scales. I use a board with a 3" nail driven through for the back side that goes through the head. I start my cut through the gill plate area, to near the back bone filleted all the way to the tail. When you get to the tail, with some practice you can even split the tail making for a more realistic bait. They work great it strip teaser heads or on their own with a double hook used near the front to even the pull behind a dodger or flasher. PM me if you want more info.

The good thing about strip is the 2 for 1 factor on the bait.

I have also used the Belly for a replica of needlefish or sand lance then it's 3 to 1 for bait.

HT

I agree on cutting your own strip it must be semi frozen to get a clean cut. Does anyone who cuts their own use a slab cut and leave one side with the backbone and tail still attached. Also wondering who out there brines their herring strip. I have seen conflicting arguments pro and con when it comes to brining strip. I tend to think not brining catches more because it leaves more scent to milk out, but brining makes for a tougher longer lasting bait.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Well so much for "winds becoming light Monday morning"...then they changed it mid morning to "winds becoming light by noon" well by time we packed it in at 3pm it was just starting to drop a bit after being lumpy all day. Dozen boats out and didn't see or hear of a sizable fish taken and we just had the one jack spring.
What a difference from last time we were out last Wednesday when it seemed everyone was into fish. Someone at the marina said right after severe wind conditions it's often slow...also mentioned the moon and see yesterday it was a new moon...in any event it was a non-event today at Sandheads between 9 and 3pm.
Wondering people's opinion on how late in the year that the fishing off Sandheads can be good as have to decide to extend my moorage for a month or go back to trailering it to and fro.

I had a decent one to the boat this morning (at sandheads), my hook bent at the last minute on my pesca spoon. Definitely not expected!
75b564cd1922da84c6804f189f3eb9cd.jpg

The bent hook after I replaced it

Last edited by a moderator:
I fish sandheads, to coal ports into Mid Oct and do decent for springs, they do become mostly whites. Some Hatch Coho and some Chum around for the smoker too.

Brining Strip in my opinion not the best way, they tend to curl up and or not hold form as well. If I am going to be using strip, I either keep the bait frozen up to right before use, or, I cut say a pack of 8 for 16 strips, and lay them orderly pack into pack and freeze again. Just my opinion.

HT

I had a decent one to the boat this morning (at sandheads), my hook bent at the last minute on my pesca spoon. Definitely not expected!

Chris look at the hook set up

st eye and a straight point on a hard/boney mouthed fish and it opened up

reason it did not penetrate the point then takes all the leverage and why it opens up

the other hook you used has a upturned eye but an in-turn point make it a st eye or better use a downturned eye, it will i assure you hook and hold better...

hook's that penetrate to the bend/ gape don't open up

straight point's prick better in-turns when go in hold better .....

Chris look at the hook set up

st eye and a straight point on a hard/boney mouthed fish and it opened up

reason it did not penetrate the point then takes all the leverage and why it opens up

the other hook you used has a upturned eye but an in-turn point make it a st eye or better use a downturned eye, it will i assure you hook and hold better...

hook's that penetrate to the bend/ gape don't open up

straight point's prick better in-turns when go in hold better .....
I definitely agree. I love their spoons but I'm very disappointed in the hooks that pesca uses. Unusual choice in hooks for an otherwise great spoon

Thanks High Tide. Can i ask you your brine procedure/recipe and is it with the whole fish first of just after you make the strips and how far in advance?

Like others have said, the hook didn't penetrate, could have been a big chum they have hard mouths.

I find heavier hooks take some action out of the spoon, I haven't found a hook I'm happy with yet.

But hey, you installed the wrong hook on your spoon, octopus hooks don't sit right on a split ring. You need somthing with a straight eye like a siwash.

Sandheads tonight

Well so much for "winds becoming light Monday morning"...then they changed it mid morning to "winds becoming light by noon" well by time we packed it in at 3pm it was just starting to drop a bit after being lumpy all day. Dozen boats out and didn't see or hear of a sizable fish taken and we just had the one jack spring...in any event it was a non-event today at Sandheads between 9 and 3pm.

Good thing we started at 5pm. :).

Caught this feisty guy at 45' with a chovie. Everyone was packing it in and the line peeled off!image.jpg

Back