NORTH COAST PILGRIMAGE: PART V

Sharphooks

The next day, riding a bit deeper in the water with some nice springs and coho in the cooler, I made it to the south end of Fitzhugh, navigating on flat calm water...and it was at 2 PM!. That was a first for me: seeing the QC Straits flat as a duck pond at 2 PM. With zero hesitation I did what I’d always wanted to do: I went up the backside/outside of Calvert Island. What a stunning place! Like Aristazabal, the side exposed to the Pacific is a 180 degree about face turn of different rock and beach characteristics then the Fitzhugh side is. Raw and spectacular.

Here’s Cape Calvert:

53A3D8F6-3D80-4EBD-B477-1423F8C95AA5.jpeg

Here’s Chic Chic Bay:

4AA622F1-C65E-4EB3-868D-1C22CE094EC5.jpeg
I found a perfect place to boat camp but the name was a bit disconcerting: Grief Bay. Sandy white beaches for the dog, protection from the NW blows are provided by Sorrow Rocks.....any takers?

A 20 knt blow from the SE was predicted for QCS the next day so I decided to do my Cape Caution run that evening. It was 7 PM by the time I got to Cranston Point but not wanting to see what Caution was like in a SE blow I made the evening move. It was a duck pond all the way to Raynor Point.

I made dinner at 9 PM on the hook, went to sleep, and at 2 AM awoke with a start. I had major premonitions going on about my anchor. I take these type of premonitions seriously so at 3 AM I pulled it by flashlight. What I found confirmed my worst suspicions and I decided to cut the trip short and go back across QCS in the dark. I needed a tie to a dock in Port Hardy to get this sorted out.

C2A4978A-9CFF-4E71-9AD8-F5D22EC3205C.jpeg

Just for clarification: this year I decided to try a two-strand splice in my rode to anchor attachment. The 2-strand gave me the taper I needed to pass through the gypsy. The downside was the untucking of the strands. Thank the Lord I brought my beloved Rocna anchor home

So another year for me. NO doubt the best trip I’ve taken in my boating career. With the exception of almost losing the anchor I had very little equipment issues other then power management. Trying to live in peaceful co-existence with a refrigerator on a boat is tough. Once my house batteries got to 11 volts neither of my chart plotters would fire up. In one instance, there wasn’t enough voltage to lower my kicker.

I’m also suspecting a parasitic power draw on top of an amp hour thirsty refrigerator.

But in retrospect it was a phenomenal trip with phenomenal weather. We are blessed to have this seascape at our doorstep and I’m tremendously fortunate to have been able to enjoy it for the amount of time I did.

Getting back to Piranesi : Being on the water for that length of time allowed me to reach a more primal mode. I literally felt myself sync up with tidal movements and the rocks and coast seemed to come alive with the moving water, day after day of gentle ebbing and flowing, like Piranesi in his world

Having the good fortune to take the time to let that all happen and to have that spate of phenomenal weather I am extremely thankful for, though I’ll admit I felt guilty burning all that gas in this day and age and political landscape.

But we all know we‘ll live to regret the things we never did, and rarely if ever the things we do.

Which leaves us pondering the age old philosophical question of comfort verses adventure....

Which cruise ship would you rather be on?

EE256D26-F8B6-45F2-8273-EADACA46F158.jpeg

Last edited:
Incredible adventure by all counts. I envy this in so many ways. Most of us can only dream of this type of trip.

So glad you were able to make the trip safely and thank you for sharing it with us.

Awesome trip, well written story and pics thanks for the share, super jealous. You wont see me on one of those Cruise ships ,1 and done.

I appreciate the comments, Gents. Thanks! At this point, I’m glad to have the boat back to her home dock. I discovered this morning that the 4D house battery (huge!) is deader then a door Nail. I suspected parasitic draw during the trip but I more or less got away with it because the main outboard alternators kept topping it off....now I know for sure I have a short some place in the boat.....time to do some wire tracing and fuse pulling

Another great year of storytelling and adventures!
Thanks for allowing us to live vicariously through you!

I always enjoy your adventures.
Thank you for sharing them

Thanks, SH! Always a pleasure to read and I’ll live vicariously through your pics and stories, for now.
Cheers

Your stories never get old Sharphooks. Can’t wait to get back up into that area again. Please stop by and say hi next time you are passing through Hardy

Thanks for that, Wade. I saw your guys this year on the water...Peter mentioned they were doing good for your clients!

Great story and pictures! Was planning a similiar trip this summer, but life got in the way again. Next summer for sure, you have gotten me fired up, hope to see you up there!

I appreciate the comments, Gents. Thanks! At this point, I’m glad to have the boat back to her home dock. I discovered this morning that the 4D house battery (huge!) is deader then a door Nail. I suspected parasitic draw during the trip but I more or less got away with it because the main outboard alternators kept topping it off....now I know for sure I have a short some place in the boat.....time to do some wire tracing and fuse pulling
Have you looked at your NMEA wiring? In my research I've read if NMEA isn't wired to the ignition switch it can cause draw issues as its continually looking for data. It's almost unnoticeable ......very low draw but will eventually kill the battery.

Thanks for that Pescador—-I think I found the issue. Seems to be the tilt-switch in the Suzuki kicker. During the trip when tilting up, the tilt motor wouldn’t stop powering once tilted fully up—-I had to kill power each time I tilted the motor up. It finally shorted out completely so it would only power down—-I was stuck manually lifting and dropping. Meanwhile, that short killed the 4D battery when I left it powered on over night.

Back