Nootka sound reports?

quote:Originally posted by Despy

It`s not beneath me to ask strange questions so here goes. I have always belong to the school that believes your leaders should be lighter test than your mainline. I have had owners of a fishing supply store say that for Nootka I should use 30 lb test for both. I`ve always felt it better to break off a leader than lose weights and flashers, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
Also been a couple days since I`ve seen any reports out of Nootka. Don`t know if this is a good sign or bad one, LOL !!!

Ok. You've got the fish of a lifetime on the end of your line. Darkness is coming, or sea lion is bearing down on you and your fish,
You're in tight with other boats, or trying to put extra pressure on the fish to play it out faster so you can get it to the boat to release it...etc etc..

Good reasons to have heavy leader.

I always fish 30lb main and 40lb leaders behind flashers.... seems to have worked so far :D

Just my opinion but I run 40lbs main line and 30lbs bait to 40lbs hootchie leaders and I would rather chance on a leader then taking a chance of the long runs of worked main line holding back a fiesty chinook with the abilty to horse if needed.

Cheers ME

Not one single fishing report in August yet? Could it be that fishing is so good, no one can pull themselves away long enough to report how they`re doing?, NAH, that can`t be it !!!!;)

I have used a 50 # test leader for quite some time, and a 25 # mainline. The reason for a 50 # test leader is to survive dogfish and save the anchovie head, and also, when you get a real fresh big spring on, that runs at 40 miles an hour, the strain between the fish and the big hotspot flasher will often be enough to snap a 30 # leader especially if there is some damage to the leader that you were not aware of. We get as many if not more hits, and if you are worried about visibility, go florocarbon for a leader material.

As for Nootka Sound fishing report, as of August 3, unless you could pound out 15 miles or more, the fishing was so dead that the resorts where holding funeral services.

Drewski

Heading up tomorrow what’s the latest, don’t all hold back.

my friend just came back from nootka , 4 days and 7 fish.He only fished inside and said that others at the lodge were heading out to bajo reef and beano creek and were limiting out

I found that using a larger lb. test leader gave me a little more action on my baits (spoons, hootchies, Chovy, whatever). It just seems to attract more fish.

Still very interested in hearing any current reports out of Nootka. 25th has been a long time coming but finally getting close.

Fishing was great last week... outside being the best bet... some fish coming from hisnit and princess royal, 3 cove etc inside.... but ferrer and bajo seemed to be the go to spots to consistantly be in fish all day! Lots of Mackerel and Black Bass tho....which can be a pain... bring lots of bait if you fish bait! Big spoons and plugs seemed to be the choice around the dock! Good Luck

Just came back last night. This year - Nootka made me feel like a rookie again! Don't know what most fishermen think about this past weekend, but judging from the good reports last week, fishing seems to have slowed down significantly! At the very best one could claim it was "spotty". We fished a total of 24 hours in three days - Saturday morning, all day Sunday, and Monday morning. We fished Princess Royal on the inside, The Lighthouse, Maquinna, and Beano Creek on the outside. Interestingly enough, we did not see ANYBODY fishing traditional spots like San Carlos and Salter!? Anyway, we had lots of shakers throughout, a nice Ling (17lb) on Monday morning, but we got NO decent size salmon to show for our efforts!

Explanation? Don't know... first time for me to get skunked at Nootka in August! Maybe the full moon with big tidal exchanges had something to do with it!? Maybe the very high winds off shore in the afternoons and evenings contributed as well!? Another factor perhaps was that we didn't bring any bait! (Hootchies and Coyote Spoons have always worked great for us before in the area so we didn't bother bringing anything else.) This year, the only action we got was on hootchies - "army truck" and purple/red patterns behind big metal silver flashers. And the odd fish we saw being caught, was mostly on anchovies behind silver flashers. Or... maybe we were just not in the right spot at the right time!? Whatever the answer, we shall return to Nootka next year cause this time's gotta be some kind of anomaly. Having said that.. the tide exchanges look a lot more favourable in the days to come, and if the winds settle down, maybe the fish will start moving in big numbers again! Good Luck and don't forget to post your report here. Luv to hear how things are shaping up out there for the rest of the season!

Bait wasn't working for us... too many mackerel.... 6" spoon and plugs did the trick and offshore was the place to go... bajo and ferrer or the highway! Guys inside weren't doing so well!

Saturday morning we were at Princess Royal. Saw some "brownies" caught there which made us decide to head to the Light House. Should have been at Beano I guess, but didn't get there till Sunday afternoon. Fished the Light House on Sunday and Monday mornings with no luck. Off shore eh! I thought about it but have never been to Bajo (or Ferrer) and did not feel comfortable heading out there in my 20 footer with gale warnings on the radio. I guess the mornings were all right though! I'll keep it in mind for next time. By the way... where's "The Highway"?

When you say morning bite, are you referring to right at daybreak or a little later? From what I`ve read here and reports out of Environment Canada, it seems that if you want to fish outside, morning is your best chance, as the afternoon brings wind. If I`m reading things correctly, it appears that the inside is subject to a couple bite periods but those who are able to stay outside in larger boats are catching fish at all times of day. I have been on two trips to Langara Island and there, the cohos were biting fairly regular but the springs definitely seem to move in groups and had bite periods.
Strangely, when fishing that area, we didn`t mind catching the odd dog because it was a good sign the springs were there too and usually would get a spring or two shortly after the dogs. I`m also a bit surprised that the reports seem to indicate that there aren`t that many coho around Nootka at this time.I`ve also read quite a few reports about socks in other areas but not much said about them around Nootka.

Just got back yesterday from Nootka. Fished last Thurs, Fri, Sat. Fishing was good for us. Fished Ferrer on Thurs and saw lots of fish caught,but there were many many boats..... Fished Rosa in the evenings with marginal success. Lots of boats heading offshore and doing well. The fish were there but you had to put some time in, atleast we did. Good luck to all that go.

Just a thought on fishing during a full moon cycle. I think it can hurt your chances for springs because the fish will feed at night and will be more choosy come daylight.

Heading up this Sunday for a week. A buddy of mine just got back last Sunday and did fairly well. Brought back 4 kings from 21-27#, two coho 11 & 14# fishing mostly offshore. Big spoons and chovies...

Just got back from the Sound. Fished aug 19-21. Mainly outside. had at least 15 hook-ups a day. With some incredible bites. At times you couldn't keep the gear in the water for more than 5 minutes. Started fishing chovies then decided to throw a hoochie on (go figure). The stupid thing drove them nuts. No idea how the inside is...closest in we fished was Discovery on the last morning..hooked up 3 in a couple of hours

Hey, glad to find this forum. Never fished Nootka Sound but planning a trip up next summer. Will be fishing out of a 19ft bayliner. Any problems fishing out of a boat that size in Nootka. Also, any possibilities of finding some halibut to try for? Will be staying at Critter Cove. Thanks for any information.

Abcyahoo welcome to the forum. Yes a 19ft is fine. Get a chart for that area. Do a search in this forum of Nootka Sound and you will find ton’s of info. With the results of the search you can then see on the chart the areas that others are talking about.
The Gang at Critter Cove will also be able to tell you where to go fish when you get there. Things change so it’s best to ask then. I have never hali fished there but if the weather is good there is no reason you can’t try. Others may post with more on that. You may also want to start a new topic thread with where, what and when and see who replies. Example ( Nootka Sound August 15 Halibut fishing). I don’t think any one will give you a GPS coordinate but here is a link to get you started.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6293
Bring a good GPS as it’s easy to get lost up there if you’re new.
I assume you’re are new to the area and not new to boating and Hali fishing.
GLG

Back