Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

Gordon J

Give us a report Dan when you're up there pls....

Heading out Monday for first trip of season. Last summers first trip resulted in seized starboard engine,water impeller seal failed got water into Merc 470 cylinders. Engines good now hoping for better results. Have an old Sea Ray 255 with command bridge. Say hi to me out there. Would appreciate any reports. Thanks Allan

Planning a trip out to Nootka on the labour day weekend. How is the inshore fishing at that time of year, also wondering if the spring are getting coloured by this time.

I hate to tell you but the inshore is pretty used up by that time unless you happen to get coho coming inside-that can be pretty hit and miss. They often come in with the chum and there is usually an opening about that time. May still be Springs at Bajo and on the Burdwood shore-my bet is -pretty thin.

Thanks spring fever, might look at going somewhere else than, maybe Ucluelet.

Just returned from Esperanza today. We fished ferrier point for 2 days and mostly picked up coho and some small springs. The weather wasn't great so we moved inside to rosa and managed to pick up some springs over 20 lbs and more coho. Yesterday we went to rosa first thing and our boat and another we were with in our group lost a hog first thing in the am. Later in the afternoon we moved up to pin rocks and got a 2 15s and managed to pull a 34 out of there. We had the best luck on a green hootchie and gold Betsy flasher in about 40 feet of water. The white hootchie was working as well. We cut the bellies of the springs and found white squid still whole. Bait worked too but that green hootchie was on fire.

Just got back after spending the week on Bligh. Holy coho is right! from the surface to 250ft. Did manage find some clipped ones, springs are there but tough to sort through all of the coho. Went to a variation of the SF`s salmon teezer and ran a 5 to 7in plug off the back seem to help and actully caught four hali`s and alot of lings on the rig plus a few springs. Then there was the N/W winds to deal with 20-30 and gusts to 35 or better on Friday. Called it quits on Friday @3pm and loaded up for home.

Just got back after spending the week on Bligh. Holy coho is right! from the surface to 250ft. Did manage find some clipped ones, springs are there but tough to sort through all of the coho. Went to a variation of the SF`s salmon teezer and ran a 5 to 7in plug off the back seem to help and actully caught four hali`s and alot of lings on the rig plus a few springs. Then there was the N/W winds to deal with 20-30 and gusts to 35 or better on Friday. Called it quits on Friday @3pm and loaded up for home.
Thanks for trying the Teezer-I have a few more variations to try if the wind ever quits. Tight Lines

Two weeks to go. Launching on the 22nd for a week. Then agsin Aug 05 . Hopefully i can manage a few halis this year.

Yep 17th ill be out there but sadly wont be getting out to the outside this year but next year once new boat is all rigged up will be out there for a couple weeks next year :)

I'm up this Friday for 4 days. Will provide report when I get back Tuesday next week. Looks like winds howling off shore right now. Hopefully it'll settle down.

Heading over July 15th for 3 nights. Will post a report when I get back. I know a couple guys over there now, so may have report before I leave.

The winds off Esperanza Inlet have been brutal. It's been really sloppy out here by lunchtime every day for the past three days. Hali's if you could make it out to Tatchu Pt or straight out 4-6 miles. Ferrer has been hot with some very nice springs being taken up to 40#'s. Lots of coho around too.
Bait has been the ticket at Ferrer, we kept the coho off using herring in teaser heads fishing 27-50' deep. Anchovies were getting great action from both springs and coho. Cop car in 3-1/2" was the productive spoon for us, as were hootchies (glow and green splatterback).

Good to hear Erik! Glad your getting some good action and thanks for the report.

The winds off Esperanza Inlet have been brutal. It's been really sloppy out here by lunchtime every day for the past three days. Hali's if you could make it out to Tatchu Pt or straight out 4-6 miles. Ferrer has been hot with some very nice springs being taken up to 40#'s. Lots of coho around too.
Bait has been the ticket at Ferrer, we kept the coho off using herring in teaser heads fishing 27-50' deep. Anchovies were getting great action from both springs and coho. Cop car in 3-1/2" was the productive spoon for us, as were hootchies (glow and green splatterback).

What is up with the Wind? I see its again "Gail Warning in effect for the entire west coast of the Island" today. I guess we're destined to fish only inside next week. Monday weather though shows high of 32 in Gold River.

What is up with the Wind? I see its again "Gail Warning in effect for the entire west coast of the Island" today. I guess we're destined to fish only inside next week. Monday weather though shows high of 32 in Gold River.
Swell watch is promising sat and sun. Tight lines

OK. I'm watching this thread as I will be at Critter Cove the 18th to 21st, then on to Strange till the 25th. I don't mind fishing inside when there's fish to be caught. Mighty boring otherwise.........

Back