Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

SF- look forward to hearing if you got out to Bajo ok. Looking at Moutcha Bay's webcam yesterday the area still looks pretty quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year this weekend I was in Esperanza and it was great. I'm heading back there in two weeks, and would (like all others here), love to hear a report on how things are going there.

First trip to Nootka of the year...the weather was perfect all weekend...no wind and calm seas..We fished thrusday night bite released 8 springs in an hour and half..... all hatchery. Friday was a perfect day around bajo reef... calm seas all day...relentless coho action everywhere. Saturday was much the same at bajo although the weather started to pick in the later part of the afternoon...limits for springs..hatchery coho..and we got a few botoom fish too.... all in all had a great weekend on the west coast

Just got in from Nootka an hour ago-fished Burdwood (shakers), Macquina -acres of coho, Bajo coho. Went on a quick trip to prove a new technique called a salmon teezer-Had worked spectacularly at Swale when no one was catching fish. I needed confirmation. I got it but not the way I expected-we caught 100 + coho with the salmon Teezer and anchovie-couldn't touch a spring because of the coho. Went through 3 packs of chovie's then switched to a teezer and a 6 inch tomic pilchard. That got us our springs. Are they at the red can and we just can't get them because of the coho-or are they scarce?? I say we are a little early and I believe they are another 2 miles beyond the can on the Hiway. Wild to hatch are running about 20 to 1-some people must have better odds than us cause I saw a guy gaffing everything into the boat. Lots of lings around-didn't try hali's-Escalante shore had lots of bait and some coho. Springs were all taken right on the bottom around the can so 90 to 120 ft of wire in those depths. Will post the salmon Teezer tomorrow when I take some pics. Great way to fish with no flasher. Bring your bucktails we got a few on those as well. Never seen so many coho!! Tight lines

Attachments

• DSC01137.jpg
    DSC01137.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,067
Thanks for the report Spring Fever. My brother and I are heading up August 6th for a week at Esperanza/Nootka. We always go for a week during the first 10 days of August (unless there is a full moon in which case we adjust around it) but one of these years I'm going to try a late June or early July trip. Looking forward to seeking that new bait.

SF, thanks for the report good the hear that there are some fish around. I leave on Sunday for a week. Looking forward to seeing your 'Salmon teezer".

Headed up to Nootka july 5,6,7. Any reports from the inside or even the reefs. Not really sure what to except, Never fished Nootka this early in the month, any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks Dan

Dan. Pm'd you.

Heading up to Esperanza sound on the 15th of July - not sure if I am going to launch at Gold River or Thasis. How is the road into Thasis these days - last time I drove it several years ago, I broke a leaf spring on my trailer and my brothers side bunk vibrated loose!

And thanks for the reports, I am getting excited. Back again in early august heading up to Winter Harbour.

Road to Thasis has been really good but we did launch our boat at Gold River and run up. Not to busy early in the season so there was not any issues with launching right at high tide. After getting my trailer wasted beneath my boat on the logging rd last year it is nice to just tow an empty trailer.

There's also the option of towing to Zeballos and launching there. Only 40kms of logging road in rather than the 65 to Tahsis.

Here is the pic of the salmon teezer-working on a more advanced version now.

Attachments

• DSC01138.jpg
    DSC01138.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 769
Holy Coho. We fished first light until about 1:00, we must have caught 50 coho, we actually got tired of catching fish. Hard to get to the springs although they were there. Fished Bajo and the light house.

Ya.....that is really crappie.....you fishing your normal spot out there? I'm up there the 16th - 21st again ...... :)

Back