Nootka Report

Kcod...your going to be there at what is typically the best time of the year. Fish on outside and inside then.

I'm heading up that way to critter cove on July 17. Does anyone have a maps that are a pdf format? I have not fished up that way before and I was wondering if plugs are better than bait? I have mostly fished bait but I hear plugs work well offshore? What is it like heading back to Gold River in the Afternoon? I have a 21 foot Trophy and I hear it gets pretty rough heading back to Gold River. Does it matter what way the tide is going in the afternoon?

Thanks
JAC

Going back to Gold River is not an issue as the afternoon wind will be on your stern. You can't run at top speed but your not crashing into waves either. Just get out of Muchelet Inlet early going the other way.

JAC - by late July /early August most people fishing inside are going with chovies on teaser heads (I use light glow green)or hootchies (start with plain white).

I have used plugs especially in close to shore around Hoiss and have had some success with purple Haze.
Hope this helps.

Big spoons (silver/green) were the ticket for us last year at Hoiss on the evening flood. Long leaders behind lemon-lime 11" flashers worked for us.

any new reports?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Holmes, you out there? How are things at Critter Cove/Nootka Sound. What's working right now and where? Any decent fish in the last week? See you in a week.

Matador

Fishing is continuing to be hot in Nootka, Ferrier etc however fish are moving around here today there tommorow search find and catch out for 3 days off last days off til Sept 15th Monitor channel 6 most of Nootka Sound are on there. Next week the Proline is parked will be chartering on the burgandy 34' Eagle Craft (Desperate Troller)so if you see me say hello. You can call me on 6 MyEscape and we can chat want to see you catch fish to.

Working Gear

Hootchies Glow Green and White, White, Green Blue and Gold
Needle Fish Squirt........ J55 #1 (Thanks Iron Noggin For Tip )
Spoons 3 1/2 or 4 inch Watermelon or Green and White
Chovies of course
Off Shore Octupus Herring Pilchards all working for bottom fish biggest fish taken on baited white jig head with white wiggly tail scented and with octy on the hook with additional large triple hook hanging off the jig yes it causes more bottom snags but is deadly

Cheers Kevin

Nootka Marine Adventures

WHERE THE OCEAN IS OUR PLAYGROUND

Charter Packages or Bring Your Own Boat
www.goldriverfishinglodge.com

Camping/Chalets/Boat Launch/New Marina/Fuel
www.moutchabay.com

Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

Thanks Kevin. Im bringing the boat there today for the season, will fish today and tomorrow, have friends from England. May try Bajo this eve while it switches from southeast to morthwest. Any fish at the light?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Places for fish.

Burwood-Chinooks and Coho
Lighthouse-Chinooks and Coho
Wash Rock-Chinooks and Coho
Beer Can Bay Bligh Island
Around the corner from Hoiss Point
Ferrier-Chinooks and Coho
Tachu Point-Chinooks and Coho
Steamer Point
Three Bay
Escalante-Chinooks and Coho

All great places to try right now

Cheers Kevin

Nootka Marine Adventures

www.moutchabay.com

ME, thanks for the current information. We appreciate your willingness to share. I'll start at the Lighthouse and check out some of your other suggestions next week. Picked up a few spoons today. I'm usually an anchovy man but will try some tin and plastic this year.

Matador

Ill be out there all of next week you cant miss me in the 34' Burgandy EagleCraft. Everyone feel free to stop by the lodge and check things out we are deep in Galiano Bay. I am around every evening if Im not out fishing.

Cheers Kevin

Nootka Marine Adventures

www.moutchabay.com

does anyone know if there is anywhere to dock your boat for an over night in friendly cove right now? i have heard rumors that the government wharf (boat float) was wrecked?

holmes, I've got a couple of tomic plugs which I will throw on from time to time but have never had any luck. Maybe I'm not using them correctly, Is there any thing special thing I need to do to get them to work?

Holmes, as I'm sure your an expert on Tomic plugs, how about a lesson on the matter. Colors, size, depth, using flashers with them etc. I understand that out on the "highway" most people don't use frozen bait. Where are plugs most productive? Off shore or in-shore? I have to admit I've seen them in plenty of peoples boxes, but, I've never seen any of my friends use them. I tend to stick to what I know. Maybe its time to think outside the box.

Matador

holmes
Best post of 2009.
I will be up there a few times this summer and will drop by for an intro.
GLG

Back