Where did you catch fish last season.

Brett83

I'm just doing a little reflection on 22/23 fishing season. Thinking about where we caught the most fish and where our FPH (fish per hour) was the best. I'm based out of Vancouver and Point Roberts but also go to the island a few times per summer. Most FPH was sandheads between Sept 1-7. Followed by Camel Rock in nootka third week of August. Most overall would be Tunstall, just because of the time put in there.
Interested to hear where others did well. I suspect thrasher will be on that list.

If you review the Reports, you'll quickly see where the fish might be. At least from those that talk about it. 😉

Who but a newby tracts his fishing in "fish per hour' " But HEY !!! why not ask for peoples credit card numbers while you are at it ! 🤣

Who but a newby tracts his fishing in "fish per hour' " But HEY !!! why not ask for peoples credit card numbers while you are at it ! 🤣
I'm just having a little fun with the FPH. I don't actually track it. But I want to see where people did well, that fish in multiple areas. Fishing essentially closed in April for vancouver and it wasn't great weather this weekend. Just want to read how other did, keeps fire burning.
But if you're offering, I'll take that cc number.

I'm just having a little fun with the FPH. I don't actually track it. But I want to see where people did well, that fish in multiple areas. Fishing essentially closed in April for vancouver and it wasn't great weather this weekend. Just want to read how other did, keeps fire burning.
But if you're offering, I'll take that cc number.
Not sure that you will want it!!! My wife had them reduce the card limit to $1.99 .......

I seem to average one every 4-5hrs of trolling for the whole season if I had to guess, but I'm admittedly still learning the ropes a bit. I'm a few seasons in, and a solid "intermediate" level.... but the winner was certainly sandheads early Septembet last year, probably the only time I hit over 1 "FPH" if we're talking keepers.
Did pretty well around Active Pass last August, let's say 0.5 Funny the fish-per-hour thing, I've never heard anyone talk about it but I totally think that way lol

I seem to average one every 4-5hrs of trolling for the whole season if I had to guess, but I'm admittedly still learning the ropes a bit. I'm a few seasons in, and a solid "intermediate" level.... but the winner was certainly sandheads early Septembet last year, probably the only time I hit over 1 "FPH" if we're talking keepers.
Did pretty well around Active Pass last August, let's say 0.5 Funny the fish-per-hour thing, I've never heard anyone talk about it but I totally think that way lol
Around Active Pass is a nice place to fish. I did well the one day I went there this year. My dad and I joke about overall cost per pound (CPP) it's a joke but not even funny when we add up our lifetime fishing investment vs pounds of meat. Keeping the boat at the marinas, gas, lodging, repairs, new gear, lost gear, missing work, marriage counseling. I could have way more fish if I just went to the fish market.

As we all know, we may very well put in 8 hrs of fishing but catch 90% of the the fish in a 45 min. window. When and learning why that is for a particular location is a big deal when trying to maximize fish per hour, if that's what is important to you. (ie. guides) Having a boat moored close by and not having other commitments would also help.

As we all know, we may very well put in 8 hrs of fishing but catch 90% of the the fish in a 45 min. window. When and learning why that is for a particular location is a big deal when trying to maximize fish per hour, if that's what is important to you. (ie. guides) Having a boat moored close by and not having other commitments would also help.
Absolutely right! Fish very early morning or 2 hours around slack tides. Flooding tides are better. Otherwise, enjoy the scenery and your company.

Thrifty Foods, Sidney location. I can show you the waypoint and the coordinates if anyone’s interested, but that will come at a fee.

Last edited:
Back