Nikka in Richmond is closing...October 31

I noticed a huge Cabelas store opening just north of Nanaimo. Wonder if they plan to expand into the Lower Mainland as well. hard for the little local guys to compete.

yup, with Cabela's on the island opening this week and Bass Pro in Tsawwassen in a year or so I figured we'd see a couple smaller operations close up shop. Nikka was a good option and I feel PNT will benefit as Steveston Marine has very poor customer service IMO. PNT has been my go to for the past few years... at least since Active Tackle was forced to close up shop (thx WCR for that).

Thanks for the help when I needed you Nikka Staff, unlike some have stated here, I found them to be very helpful in finding specific items and completive prices.

Good job and congrats on your decisions and lifes new direction.

HT

lots of my sockeye riggin was found there ....... along with too many other things to mention, you will be missed.

You have so many great stores down South of us man. What did they have that you wanted so bad?

I'm the opposite of you in location you could say. I always love shopping the tackle shops down there because they have what we don't. I guess it kinda the same thing :).

In this day and age with the on line sales it's hard for marine stores. There are lot's of old school owners out there still. You have to adapt to make it work and you HAVE to have GREAT customer service.

To be honest, they didn't have anything that I wanted so bad and they didn't really have anything I "needed". I was after a BC license purchased in BC - which they didn't have but went to great effort to find a place that would sell. I reward that kind of customer service with purchases of stuff I didn't really need.

As for Nikka (and PNT) they have (had for Nikka) a larger selection of hootchies than I can find in the Seattle area. One thing I've come to recognize over the past many years is that BC is a hotbed of innovation when it comes to fishing gear. Many of the best salmon lure are made in B.C. and the BC stores stock the best stuff from elsewhere. So for some things, it's definitely worth the trip up there.

.... One thing I've come to recognize over the past many years is that BC is a hotbed of innovation when it comes to fishing gear. .
Case in point the Kone Zone BC Daisy Chain which IIRC originated @ Nikka

Daisy%20Chain%20for%20Down%20Riggers.JPG

Also Scotty downriggers, Tomic Plugs, Gibbs, HotSpot, Buzz Bombs, Rhys Davis, Radiant, Deadly Dicks and as of late Iron Needle, JugHead, The Sitka Sandlance spoon and others. Not only are you BC fisherman pretty nice, some of you craft some great fishing gear!

Agreed... One guy in the Langley store has a bit of a clue about electronics and boats but the owners and their prices are brutal.

It is too bad to be losing such an iconic supplier in the industry.

Steveston Marine will beat any price of anything in Canada, just print off the web of anything including Alberta electronics prices & they will match it no questions

I wonder how this will affect watranty on items like electronics and downriggers. I did purchase my scotty electrics there.

I wonder how this will affect watranty on items like electronics and downriggers. I did purchase my scotty electrics there.

Wont make any difference at all as long as downriggers are registered, to register go to Scotty web page & follow instructions They must be registered to have any warranty work done

Steveston Marine will beat any price of anything in Canada, just print off the web of anything including Alberta electronics prices & they will match it no questions
A classic example of sucking and blowing @ the same time-beating a price and matching a price aren't the same thing and their policy is for Western Canada no web price matching I know I used to work there.

That sucks. I loved Nikka as there prices were fair and they had all the good local stuff. Bass pro is cool and all but chain shops usually don't understand the local gear or have the staff that knows whats going on locally. I hate chain shops. Unless, they hire someone from here to manage the fishing section.

I am sad to see them closing shop. Great people to deal with and remember dealing with Cal 25 years ago and up until he passed. I will miss my trips to Steveston to go there, and I won't make the trip out there to go to Steveston Marine and hardware. I have only ever received very poor service and their prices are rediculous. Won`t go back.

In addition, stating that you will match prices or beat prices is also not the same as pricing things fairly to begin with. Items with 200+% mark up over wholesale is just gouging.

Ordered a pile of kajiki hootchies and other sizes as well on Monday night. In the mail box today. A good deal at $3.99 for a pack. They are a good alternative to the $6.00 each turd. The colours can be viewed at the Silver horde website. KA234r and KL100br are brown. As someone who grew up in Richmond and has been buying stuff there for 35 years, I'm sad to see them go.

This sucks, I've been shopping there for years. Steveston Marine does not have anyone near as good n high end electronics. PNT will see a jump in sales, time to go raid Nikka for a 20 year supply of my favorite hootches.

this is really too bad.... our family has long history.
when i was serious commie trolling we used to buy so much gear from them when at the powell st shop , before that when my dad was alive he was one of the first trollers to buy from the original old guy who had a shoebox store beside the opnehimer park near powell.... my dad would get some of the old original hootchies from him...
i think they got too big in Steveston and too much stock and overhead... too bad , several generations lost.
Mitz is still selling out of his garage and around the docks i hear.

Still quite a bit of stuff out there on the fishing side, didn't look downstairs. As the month goes on I think they're going to be more and more eager to get rid of stuff.

Back