Nikka in Richmond is closing...October 31

fishin_magician

Well...this is sad news but I know that some things in life are more important than work and making money...

http://nikka.ca/store/

Thats too bad. This limits our options in Vancouver. Nice people and great selection. I guess Steveston won out on this one. Hopefully they will get their sh$t together because their operations are a disaster.

Thats too bad. This limits our options in Vancouver. Nice people and great selection. I guess Steveston won out on this one. Hopefully they will get their sh$t together because their operations are a disaster.

Steveston Marine and Hardware fishing staff are a JOKE.

Pacific Net and Twine, Berry's Bait and Tackle and Pacific Angler are going to experience a big boost.

Wow...a sad day..I have many great memory there and with Calvin when he was with us...:(

Pacific Net and Twine, Berry's Bait and Tackle and Pacific Angler are going to experience a big boost.

Agreed... One guy in the Langley store has a bit of a clue about electronics and boats but the owners and their prices are brutal.

It is too bad to be losing such an iconic supplier in the industry.

This is the sh!ts. I prefer not to shop at berrys and steveston so pnt will continue getting my business as will army and navy

Bass pro is coming, also no young ones to take over.

Are there two Nikka stores ?........( Steveston and Richmond?)

If one is closing is the other still in business?

Are there two Nikka stores ?........( Steveston and Richmond?)

If one is closing is the other still in business?

No Steveston Village is a suburb of the City of Richmond-Steveston Marine is the low life competition across the road in Steveston Village.

There used to be a Nikka store in Vancouver but it closed when the Commercial troll fishery collapsed.

Yup!!

No product knowledge and no support from management.

X2-I was just in Berry's today.

Speaking of no younger generation to carry on Steveston Marine's ownership isn't getting any younger and their following generation is something of a disaster I know that from having worked there.

It's online retailers that win this one not locals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shopped at both but not near as much as the locals. I loved Nikka. That said, I did get great service from an older gentleman at Stevetson marine this last spring when I was trying to by my BC license in BC. He called around to several places and found a place that could help. He also introduced me to a few new bits of gear and I made sure I bought some stuff there to thank him and the owners for all the help. He even walked me over to the register and had them apply the boat show pricing to my purchase (about a 20% discount) even though the boat show was over a week or two prior. I felt he was both knowledgeable and helpful.

Hope it is what the owners want and will enjoy because they brought us quality products for a long time !
Thanks Nikka and all the people who worked there !
Damn good place to hang out at , with great stories and tons of knowledge .......

But if anyone really knows Steveston, its under a major morph , out with all the fishing based industries and moving into the Condo, movie and coffee industries..... I watched it change for the past 20 years and now with Nikka leaving , it might be time to find another morning coffee spot ..... lucky the hotel is still there LOL

Wonder if Nikka will be the next new condo site ! wanna bet ! LOL

Once Upon a time (ABC drama film) will have to find a new library I guess if they do become a condo ! lol

seriously, gonna miss all the great advice, information and most of all Ellis and his team '!! Good luck to all of you in your future endeavors!!!

I've shopped at both but not near as much as the locals. I loved Nikka. That said, I did get great service from an older gentleman at Stevetson marine this last spring when I was trying to by my BC license in BC. He called around to several places and found a place that could help. He also introduced me to a few new bits of gear and I made sure I bought some stuff there to thank him and the owners for all the help. He even walked me over to the register and had them apply the boat show pricing to my purchase (about a 20% discount) even though the boat show was over a week or two prior. I felt he was both knowledgeable and helpful.

You have so many great stores down South of us man. What did they have that you wanted so bad?

I'm the opposite of you in location you could say. I always love shopping the tackle shops down there because they have what we don't. I guess it kinda the same thing :).

In this day and age with the on line sales it's hard for marine stores. There are lot's of old school owners out there still. You have to adapt to make it work and you HAVE to have GREAT customer service.

Sad news indeed, but unfortunately a sign of the times. Fewer new anglers entering the game than in previous generations = less demand = fewer retail fishing stores. That is especially a factor when property prices will drive huge upside profits for the sale of the land those stores sit on too. An easy decision when your profit margins keep shrinking, compared to the potential profit to be gained from property sale.

I cant even get my gf's kids to come fishing, they would rather sit on the computer or ipad and play call of duty.

A definite shame! I would make trips out to Steveston just to pop into Nikka to have a look around a dream about the next thing I wanted to buy.
I guess the christmas gift certificates I get each year are going to have start coming from somewhere else from now on!!

I cant even get my gf's kids to come fishing, they would rather sit on the computer or ipad and play call of duty.

A guy at work relates a story of a birthday party for a 12 year old. Totally quiet, all texting..on the phone...wha't the use of a party for kids now?
also the fish and game clubs are retirement clubs now with no junior section at all.

Back