Next round of closures SRKW related

I note the complete lack of charts to actually show these areas. The delay in actually publishing locations / specifics (and NO consultation on what the restrictions are) is deeply troubling.

I've already scheduled a meeting with my MP to request that sanity is restored.

Noticed that too, PBF. I was thinking they probably spent some days wordsmithing the order - but couldn't get a GIS tech to punch-out a chart to accompany the lats/longs? sheeeesssh!

Someone made a map of the areas at https://sartopo.com/m/QADE

Lots of outrage on the Pender Island facebook groups. People aren't happy at the total ban (kayaks and non powered craft are also banned - it's a major safety issue)

Given the sloppy implementation perhaps it can be rescinded just as quickly.

So what happens if you violate this order? I don't see any fines or siezures of vessels listed as penalty

Lots of outrage on the Pender Island facebook groups. People aren't happy at the total ban (kayaks and non powered craft are also banned - it's a major safety issue)

Perhaps the people that live and are affected by it need to vote out the green wack a doodles that pushed for this stuff. I find it hard to have sympathy when people in that area for years have been trying to turn it into a protected marine park.

Perhaps the people that live and are affected by it need to vote out the green wack a doodles that pushed for this stuff. I find it hard to have sympathy when people in that area for years have been trying to turn it into a protected marine park.

A small minority. Every community has outliers. Pretty much everyone at the marina I'm based at is adamantly opposed.

Thanks for the map link, PBF. Maybe relay to the Pender Island crowd s.5:

5 As of June 1, 2019, a vessel, other than the following vessels, must not operate or navigate in the waters described in Schedule 2:

• (a) vessels travelling directly between the following locations, if being used to access a local residence or business and if travel in waters described in Schedule 2 is the only practical means of doing so:
    • (i) locations on Pender Island or Saturna Island,

Common Sense

I find this all concerning. It seems to be directed at the whale watching industry but also may put those who sport fish at legal risk. Since it does not cover boats in transit that exempts a great many boat and ships. For example; I have been on BC Ferries in the narrow part of Active Pass with the bridge crew directing the passengers over the PA to check out the Orca putting on a show just 30 feet off the side of the ship which was underway.

In my experience unlike Whale Watcher who’s whole reason for being on the water is to get close to Orca whales and other marine mammals, anglers do their best to avoid Orca like the plague, especially the resident fish eaters because of the belief that the Orca scare the salmon which hide (kelp beds) or go deep and cannot be caught.

So what is the definition of “approach” in “must not approach within 400 meters of an Orca” . When sport fishing we would never attempt to approach an Orca, as in deliberately move towards an Orca, but that does not mean we don’t on occasion have Orca approach us in circumstances where we don’t see them until they are close, not looking in that direction, they do travel under water for considerable distance when they want too and because of fog etc. The big whale species can be even more of a surprise because they can come up very close from the deep out of nowhere.

When we have on rare occasion found ourselves surprised and close to Orca, we turn away from them and often pull the gear and decide to either head to the marina or move off under the main motor a few kilometers because the fishing has just got worse in that location. A lot of anglers assume that even the transient Orca scare the salmon.

So where does common sense on enforcement fit in here when a sport boat with gear down, through no fault of their own end up close to an Orca. Last year we heard on the radio that some Orca were a couple of K’s away and moving west towards our location so we pulled the gear and moved before they got to us. On the other hand I have looked up and noticed another boat stopped and looking at us so I had a good look around and noticed some Orca coming right at us from 150 meters away that I had not previously seen. So what would be the outcome of an enforcement boat seeing you in that situation close to Orca?

To me there is a world of difference between that situation and what I observed a few years back where some guy in a small boat was up on plane racing close down along the side of a group of Orca till he was out in front of them and then turned to stop in their path to get out the camera. Perhaps he was a research boat taking pictures and exempt from the rules.

There also seems to be rules or perhaps rules under development/discussion for things like not approaching within a hundred meters of marine mammals like Seals, Dolphins and Harbor Porpoise etc. Only someone with no experience on the ocean in our area would think that is workable and would defy all common sense. The seals will seek out and follow your boat around waiting for a free salmon meal off your line and also hang out around the marina. The Dolphins like to come over and play with your boat by either riding on the bow wake or doing laps around the boat, it is a fun game to them. The harbour porpoise are a little more stand offish, but sometimes like last year at the mouth of Sooke Inlet they seem to bunch up in great numbers and lose their fear of boats and get very close. There were so many of them one day last year you could not have got back into Sooke Harbor if you tried to stay away from them.

A lot of this seems to be politically motivated appeasement of ENGO's which does not reflect the reality on the water or common sense.

Last edited:
What seems to be the major problem is people making decisions have either themselves become disconnected from reality or they are letting ENGO whackjobs that are disconnected from reality dictate their decision making processes. This is everywhere and everything, not just fishing related.

What this man says in his letter has been well backed by science:

May 30: Fluctuations not a whale crisis

It’s time to stop perpetuating the myth that the population of southern resident killer whales has been “dramatically reduced.”

Whale census data compiled by the Centre for Whale Research shows numbers have been stable for the last 60 years, fluctuating between a low of 66 in 1973 and high of 98 in 1995. The last count, on Jan. 11, 2019, showed 75 members.

The organization has published annual numbers with modelled data from 1960 to 1972 and census data afterward.

That data shows no sign of statistically significant change in the southern resident killer whale population, and doesn’t show any dramatic reduction.

While I agree we should try to support our resident whales, let’s stop creating a fake crisis. There is no crisis.

Richard Lewanski
Sidney

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/letters/may-30-fluctuations-not-a-whale-crisis-1.23838632

And once again, there you have it. ENGO's playing fast and rather loose with the truth, and their political lackeys swallowing their drivel hook line and sinker. "Crisis" created and BC fishermen targeted once again by the Sky-Is-Falling LIEberals...

Nog

What seems to be the major problem is people making decisions have either themselves become disconnected from reality or they are letting ENGO whackjobs that are disconnected from reality dictate their decision making processes. This is everywhere and everything, not just fishing related.
You nailed it, ryan! Unfortunately & possibly, well-intended - but either largely unenforceable or unproveable wrt exact distances and all the other things other posters such as rockfish have brought-up (whale breaching next to boats, etc). It may well take a few court cases to settle it out.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if the ENGO's are not in bed with Ottawa/DFO they certainly are disproportionately influential. At the recent public meeting on the proposed additional SRKW closures in Sooke it was obvious that 99%plus of those present from all the small communities effected were opposed to them. However, there was a women and a sidekick that showed up and took a seat beside the audience microphone who spoke and gave the standard ENGO positions. What I found fascinating was before the meeting started as people were coming in the pro closure women went up to the front for a chat with a women she appeared to know. That women turned out to be the person chairing the public meeting and also who announced was in charge of the Whale Sanctuary Project. A small thing but it did signal to those of us paying attention as to who had connections and influence on this issue with the Feds.

It seems to me that if the ENGO's are not in bed with Ottawa/DFO they certainly are disproportionately influential. At the recent public meeting on the proposed additional SRKW closures in Sooke it was obvious that 99%plus of those present from all the small communities effected were opposed to them. However, there was a women and a sidekick that showed up and took a seat beside the audience microphone who spoke and gave the standard ENGO positions. What I found fascinating was before the meeting started as people were coming in the pro closure women went up to the front for a chat with a women she appeared to know. That women turned out to be the person chairing the public meeting and also who announced was in charge of the Whale Sanctuary Project. A small thing but it did signal to those of us paying attention as to who had connections and influence on this issue with the Feds.

It would be interesting to see what DFO's reports of those sessions look like. It would be a scandal if they indicated the vast majority of the room was in favour of the measures / more restrictions.

I wonder how we can find out.

Lets hope in six months we do not see another overhead research drone photo in the press of this mother compared with a before birth wide pregnant overhead photo and the conclusion that here is another starving adult Orca and these photos are proof as to how much weight has been lost in the last six months by this SRKW, without ever mentioning that they are before and after pregnant birth photos.

Last edited:
"A newborn orca calf has been spotted off Tofino swimming with J Pod, an endangered population of southern resident killer whales."

RIP tofino sportfishing lol,

Its good news more calfs the better
I was concerned about the same thing. They had an interview on CBC Radio. The whale watching guy was emphasizing that it's very rare for them to be in Tofino waters and that they were just migrating thru.

I was concerned about the same thing. They had an interview on CBC Radio. The whale watching guy was emphasizing that it's very rare for them to be in Tofino waters and that they were just migrating thru.

Perhaps someone can tell Jonathan Wilkinson that if J pod is off Tofino ~250km by water as the crow flies it cannot possibly simultaneously be in the gulf island ban zone. No need to close areas when the whales are hours away.

Basic logic!

Back