2024-25 DFO proposal and survey on salmon measures

Adler

Learned about this posting and survey tonight....I expect some of the sportfishing bodies are studying this and will put out some notices and guidance, and there will be viewpoints on this here from areas across from Renfrew to Vancouver. Discuss! And at the end of the day, make your voices heard.

Wow that's a bit of a surprise. They are coming after more believe it of not. I just had a look at this one today.

Those B options in this survey for Port Renfrew and Sooke are completely criminal.

Renfrew effectively loses half its beach fishery and Sooke areas get tighter. Otter Point is bizarre. So what we can't fish out from Otter anymore? Not to mention all the good coho areas are going to be not fishable.

I don't get this government.

Last edited:
Sooke Best case Option A same as last year no fishing areas.

Sooke option B. No fishing for salmon in blue zone. Area gets a bit smaller but moves in and effects the fall coho fishery and the Otter Point fishery. Beyond Sheringham another offshore area is marked out.

juan-de-fuca-2-eng.jpg

Last edited:
Renfrew Best case is same as last year Option A.

Renfrew Option B. No salmon fishing blue zone. Expansion and effectively cut off the East Point and Camper fisheries. All out front closed. swiftsure-2-eng.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. This BS, ever changing, whack-a-mole attempt to so called protect the SRKW has to end! There is growing evidence that with the changing marine environment and climate and the new SRKW matriarch that these orca's feeding patterns have changed. There is also ample evidence that stationary no fishing zones don't do much to protect the orcas as they are constantly on the move. This is where WA state's approach of having a moving no fishing bubble zone makes good sense as it protects the whales continuously as the move around and feed.

This is just more sloppy, easy to do, BS 'management' by DFO that fools the mostly clueless voting public that DFO is doing something to protect the SRKW's, when in fact they are not! All it does is appease the ENGO's and some FN's by yet again restricting the public fishery to the expense of local businesses and economies. It is 100% based on politics not practical science! We need to fight against this hard and fast to stop this BS and get some real protection for the SRKW's that does not harm the public fishery!!! These new protection zones will seriously harm the Port Renfrew fishing industry and local economy! 🤬

Stay tuned for info from SVIAC on a town hall meeting in Feb. to help push back against this stupidity!!!

Last edited:
Learned about this posting and survey tonight....I expect some of the sportfishing bodies are studying this and will put out some notices and guidance, and there will be viewpoints on this here from areas across from Renfrew to Vancouver. Discuss! And at the end of the day, make your voices heard.

Just filled this out. Please make sure you fill out this survey with your questions and concerns re. this. Rest assured every ENGO will be doing the same and we need to make sure the public fisheries voice is heard! This is the public consultation process that DFO will use to justify their decisions.

Renfrew Best case is same as last year Option A.

Renfrew Option B. No salmon fishing blue zone. Expansion and effectively cut off the East Point and Camper fisheries. All out front closed. View attachment 101930
DFO is being misleading or sloppy on this map above as the area you can fish around Swiftsure Bank is much smaller then shown above with the permanent fishing closure of Swiftsure Bank (see map below).

1705526568983.png

My only surprise is that some people are surprised that they are getting screwed over by DFO yet again. By all means, continue to consult, fill in surveys, have meetings, make a little noise on the internet, but generally play by the rules. Doing the same old thing and expecting different results. My money is on DFO.

Last edited:
I am exhausted trying to get people to fill this out year after year so i'm not gonna bother giving a lecture beyond this, I will say one thing it is important that people do as i believe this year they are transition these regs from an emergency reg into a permanent one that will not be reviewed every year.

This whole process we are dragged into each year is like a giant game of whack a mole...sanctuary proposals popping up everywhere the whales swim from one year to the next. There is no consideration for achieving any sort of balance that respects small coastal communities, their social and economic well-being. These proposals in Area 20-3 to 21-0 that close the shoreline are a tragic mis-calculation by DFO - the fishery there will be killed without a shoreline fishery corridor that is so critical for the survival of the recreational fishery and communities like Port Renfrew. Mean spirited and tragic death by a thousand cuts, chipping away each year to claw back a little more here and there so there isn't a huge uproar.

This is all being pushed by the ENGO's who care only about what serves their business model so they can create yet another pretty map to drum up more research money and funding. There is a reason why the folks south of us in the US haven't followed suit implementing massive fishery closures and creating sanctuaries. Think about it.

And on the topic of prey availability and recreational fishing competing with whales for prey....hasn't anyone been paying attention - most of the east coast VI and west coast VI hatchery rivers are forecasting abundant returns for 2024, and 2023 was an epic year. Stamp had close to 200,000. And we are starting to get data on escapement to Interior rivers. Summer 4/1 was 623,000 escapement, Harrison was 143,000 against an escapement target of 85,000. Cowichan - 3x escapement target....one river after another with record returns and positive forecasts.

The Chinook crisis does affect a lot of the Stream-type Chinook - but many of the Ocean-type returns are abundant creating lots of Chinook prey for whales. So how is there a Chinook crisis that creates the emergency lack of food for SRKW? We are being fed a line of BS by the whale researchers. Who benefits when there is all this crisis talk?

I guess as long as we can post up a bunch of new maps with more closures that gives a pretty media post that big things are happening to save the whales - weird when there has been no science to evaluate if these sanctuary measures are even bringing a recovery benefit for whales.

Urgent
Check out this article and link to survey If these proposed closures go through, it would devastate the town of Port Renfrew and wipe out the Recreational Fishing Community Please share and post everywhere

More information on these sites

https://www.facebook.com/groups/746183343353358/?ref=share_group_link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1720984684830759/?ref=share_group_link&exp=7ffb

I know I’m being naive here, but,

1. who is the MP for the south island?
2. would raising our concerns with him/her/them/whatsit? be more productive than complaining on this site?

just asking.

I know I’m being naive here, but,

1. who is the MP for the south island?
2. would raising our concerns with him/her/them/whatsit? be more productive than complaining on this site?

just asking.
Not complaining ! Trying to get the information out there and get people involved. Check out the article and link. And the other groups involved.
Maybe you could help.

All the MP's on vancouver island are NDP and you have the Greens on the islands ........ I don't think they will help much.

Back