Next round of closures SRKW related

Perhaps someone can tell Jonathan Wilkinson that if J pod is off Tofino ~250km by water as the crow flies it cannot possibly simultaneously be in the gulf island ban zone. No need to close areas when the whales are hours away.

Basic logic!
Those Orcas only come up this way when they are looking for the next wave of Chinooks and are hungry

Those Orcas only come up this way when they are looking for the next wave of Chinooks and are hungry

They should go up to Nahwitti, tones of fish, zero boats to compete with and they can still bring home some for the BBQ if they want too.

Must be looking for those Fraser River Chinook cause there is no end of American Hatchery Chinook that I know of from Sidney to the Race.
Maybe they are boycotting Trump and his insane Presidency.
Can't help but laugh
That Trump is a jerk

https://www.timescolonist.com/islan...-threats-faced-by-endangered-orcas-1.23834024

It looks like June is the ENGO Industries public education month for SRKW's. It would have been nice if the Times Colonist showed a little more journalist professionalism and provided more balance to the complex realities and actually fact checked. The conclusions are made in terms of absolutes as if they are all evidenced based absolute proven facts. Certainly the information that " ... the southern residents stay in the waters of the Salish Sea through the year." is just factually false. That misinformation does, however, bolster the ENGO narrative that it is all critical habitat in support of their demand the Public Fishery be closed. Interesting that the TC has two articles in the paper, one saying that SRKW's have been observed off Tofino with a new calf and one that says the SRKW's stay in the Salish Sea and don't range widely like the Transients which just travel through. My understanding is that the SRKW's actually have an observed feeding range that covers from Haida Gwaii in the north to Central California in the south, although they may spend less time in the extremes of their range.

Last edited:
https://www.timescolonist.com/islan...-threats-faced-by-endangered-orcas-1.23834024

It looks like June is the ENGO Industries public education month for SRKW's. It would have been nice if the Times Colonist showed a little more journalist professionalism and provided more balance to the complex realities and actually fact checked. The conclusions are made in terms of absolutes as if they are all evidenced based absolute proven facts. Certainly the information that " ... the southern residents stay in the waters of the Salish Sea through the year." is just factually false. That misinformation does, however, bolster the ENGO narrative that it is all critical habitat in support of their demand the Public Fishery be closed. Interesting that the TC has two articles in the paper, one saying that SRKW's have been observed off Tofino with a new calf and one that says the SRKW's stay in the Salish Sea and don't range widely like the Transients which just travel through. My understanding is that the SRKW's actually have an observed feeding range that covers from Haida Gwaii in the north to Central California in the south, although they may spend less time in the extremes of their range.

yeah, this: 'Unfortunately, overfishing of salmon and many other factors have dramatically reduced their numbers'
That was just too much so I emailed and ripped him a new one with a little education on the side! Would be interesting to see his response if any!

We believe they have some access to the newspaper. Same with many media outlets.

It won't stop so we need to be ready this fall again.

Wait till they start pushing northern resident whale beach rubbing habitat.

The offshore killer whales will also be one they will go after eventually. Guess what they feed on ...halibut and sharks.

Last edited:
yeah, this: 'Unfortunately, overfishing of salmon and many other factors have dramatically reduced their numbers'
That was just too much so I emailed and ripped him a new one with a little education on the side! Would be interesting to see his response if any!

The ENGO industry must be thrilled when they can manipulate a major newspaper journalist to simply parrot talking points on an issue as complex as this. This was not published as an editorial, where it would at least be clear it was opinion. It was published as fact, contained factually false information and was completely one sided with no apparent fact checking, balance or understanding and analysis of the complex environmental, cultural, economic and political factors involved. In my view, this story had one purpose, to mold public opinion in support of further action and closures and the actual facts or lack of detailed analysis and balance don't matter, if that is the objective.

Last edited:
Take that guy out to CONSTANCE bank on anchor, no tunes sit back and listen. He will be blown away by the noise of boats in all directions. You’ll loose count of the zooming zodiacs steaming out to see whales, then the jet ferry whale watchers boats, add in a clipper or three, a Coho, then a freighter or ten come and go. Let’s not forget the 6 Canadian navy and 6 USA navy/ coastguard boats as well as an RCMP & DFO @ 50 mph. THEN A DUDE GOES BY ON HIS KICKER 2MPH. And this is the one they want out.
Just the day in the life of a sea creature these days. Brutal!

Report from Pender Bluffs. Day two of the No-Go zone on Pender Bluffs. We arrived last night for a 3 day stay. Today between 9:30 and 4:00 PM we observed 31 vessels that traveled through the no-go zone. We may have missed a few as we were doing some renos. Mostly rec boats, mostly American. Also the usual dozen or so tankers, container vessels etc. that steam by every day. However no whales, no enforcement, and of course none of the dreaded sport fishing vessels that are apparently the reason for the SRKW spiraling into extinction. Thank God DFO had the foresight to close this area down just in case they decide to come back from Tofino and the West Coast later this Summer and pass by on their way to the Fraser...

Submit a fact correction request to the TC. Start a dialogue. They should be tagging ADVERTISING as sponsored content.

I too wrote to the meathead from the paper calling him out and asking for a response, doubt i will get one but i did tell him that a letter to the editor is on its way, so people write the paper and hopefully one of us may get a response printed with true scientific facts...

Back