New to fishing

Rempy, I am in complete agreement that if you fish with worms it is very likely you will kill the fish. If you're fishing with the intent to keep and eat the fish, I dont find this a problem, but if your fishing for sport a fly is probably a better option off a bobber. When I fish large, unstocked lakes I never fish with bait, because I like to release the big spawners and when I deep hook a big fish and am forced to keep it I cant help but feel a little down. Last fish I caught was about a 4 pound trout and it inhaled my lure so I kept it, and was not happy when I cleaned it to find large ripe eggs inside.

Agreed. Most people who fish for bass though, or the ones that I know fish to release. So they don't use the worms.

DOes anyone anyone know what lake ida ann has in it. Is it just stocked with trout. Does anyone know if there is bass in there?

Welcome Flash, I am new here my self. Things are starting to warm up and I will be getting out for some bass here very shortly. As soon as I get a trailer hitch on my new car. You are more than welcome to come out anytime with me. I haven't got into the trout yet but spent alot of time bass fishing in the last two years. As for what to use the options are endless. In the Jan/Feb issue of BC Outdoors Magazine there is an ariticle called How to catch Bass in BC: What, Where and How by Jesse Martin. If you can't find it you can borrow it to check it out. I am near Colquitz Middle School.

As for the live worms and bass. I am one who is not in support, I will not tell you to use them or not use that is up to you. What happens is the bass will inhale the live worm and you are more likely to gut hook him than you will with soft pastic worms. Expecially if you have a smaller hook. I am not saying that you will not gut hook them with other lures and hooks as it does happen.

Rempy

Thanks Rempy, great people here! I would love to take you up on that offer and get out there with ya. It would be nice to have someone who knows what their doing there. Excuse the noob question, what is gut hooking? I'm assuming it's when the hook gets caught in the fishes gut or gills? How does that happen, and how would you get it out safely if you are going to release the fish?

I used to go to Colquitz, and my Dad taught there for years!

Im also primarily a fly angler for trout, but in certain times of the year and in certain conditions I wont think twice about using bait. And im sure every die hard fly fisherman started out fishing worms :p. With the bobber and worm system I recommended any angler can have a great time catching trout, no matter your age. They might have a bit of trouble getting their lines out there though if there is much brush around to get tangled in, as will alot of people who havent perfected their cast. As for the backroads map book fishing edition, personally I wouldent bother until you learned more about the trout lifecycle. I found the lake write ups to be rather generic, and unless you have an idea of what the trout are doing at different times of the year, then the depth charts wont really be much of a help. Something you could also do is after you buy a cheap rod, go to a fishing store for your gear. If you tell them your new they will point you in the right direction, and if you buy your gear there they wont feel ripped off giving away free knowledge :p. Most would anyways, but its good to build a relationship with these guys as they talk to more fishermen then anyone and will generally tell you the best place to focus your efforts any time of the year.

Cool, appreciate the advice and wouldn't mind keeping the cash in a fishing store.

I'll hold off on the Backroads book as we'll be hitting up Look out lake the first few efforts.

Cheers again Mike

One of the best deals I've found lately is at Wal-Mart, you can get this South Bend Proton rod, reel and line combo for $20.
The line isn't so good for distance casting(otherwise OK) but if you want to upgrade the line try Berkley Trilene smoothcast(red box) 8lb test works really good.
Bass go for lures that have movement action, spinners, jigs, swim bait, topwater frogs/poppers. Cast them out and retrieve them.
Or soft plastic worms on a hook also work good. Live worms on hooks definitely work but is looked down on by many here so pretend you never heard of that type of fishing ;)
Bass season probably won't really turn on for another month or so til it warms up.
Good lakes in the Vic area for bass are Elk/Beaver, Prospect, Thetis, Langford and Glen lake.

Hmm the Walmart seem to be out of stock... any other recommendations?

Rempy, I am in complete agreement that if you fish with worms it is very likely you will kill the fish. If you're fishing with the intent to keep and eat the fish, I dont find this a problem, but if your fishing for sport a fly is probably a better option off a bobber. When I fish large, unstocked lakes I never fish with bait, because I like to release the big spawners and when I deep hook a big fish and am forced to keep it I cant help but feel a little down. Last fish I caught was about a 4 pound trout and it inhaled my lure so I kept it, and was not happy when I cleaned it to find large ripe eggs inside.

Mike, is there a way to tell if a fish is mature? I wouldn't want to keep any fish that are spawning. I heard with trout they may have a red stripe across it, true?

Cheers.

With rainbow trout, yes they will have the classic red stripe down them aswell as many will seem bloated. I think the time of year you fish them is the best indicator though. I believe its early march when the rainbows spawn and shortly after the cutties follow. Its not exactly weather or not the fish is spawning that you need to be concerned about though, its just that larger fish are the ones who produce the eggs in large numbers so it is generally good ethics to let large fish of any species go. In the south island lakes though, you will primarily be fishing for the stocked, non reproductive fish so there is no need to worry. But we do have regulations to protect the fish at risk so if you are fishing within the rules I wouldent really feel bad about how you fish them or which fish you keep. Have fun with it, enjoy your fair share of table fare, and eventually over time you will develop a respect for the fish you target, and you will know yourself what you feel is right and wrong and fish accordingly. But to start out just have fun with it! To be honest you will not be catching the same amount of fish as the veteran fisherman no matter how you do it, so use all the advantages you can and get out there and have a great time doing it!

Thanks for the info Mike, will def be following all the rules! And I want to make sure I follow the proper unwritten rules as well.

Cheers

The younger you get them started on fishing the better. You can help influence them the right ways of doing things on the water. THe most importent thing is to keep them involved. I spent a day on the campbell river with my friend and his 2 daughters catching pinks. I made about 10 casts all day as I spent 6 hours tying gear for them and teaching to cast and taking pictures.

Those are the days I remember most. The smiles and excitment of them catching a fish on their own. When they start to tie there own gear and pick there own lures it gets even better!

Also I am in a boat.

-KK

DOes anyone anyone know what lake ida ann has in it. Is it just stocked with trout. Does anyone know if there is bass in there?

Every now and then a big cutties comes up from Millstream and surprises some kid. But you have to let them go.

Personally, when I need an hour to relax, I just go there for a bit. I have a 9 dollar rod that I tip with a WORM and generally do great there. I run 2 lb line on the casting road, be carefull with the hook sets using that, but you can send a worm 7 feet with just a little split shot.

Sometimes I take my little brother fishing there as well.

Mike, is there a way to tell if a fish is mature? I wouldn't want to keep any fish that are spawning. I heard with trout they may have a red stripe across it, true?

Cheers.

Most of the lakes you can get at on the South Island are so loaded with swtocked fish it's unlikely you will run into a spawner, but the red stripe is a clue. As far as backroad map books, I have one, but many lakes south of Nanaimo are on Timber West land, and they are gate happy these days. Anglers Atlas is a free site to subscribe to, and has some great information, Google it.

Here is another excellent source:

http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports.aspx

As far as Bass fishing, all of the local Victoria lakes have them, please be mindfull of the regs as when they spawn, they will be sitting on their redds right by the shoreline guarding eggs, I don't think it's a great idea to disturb them at that point, especially with the sunfish problem we have these days. I'm not sure what the regs are on Bass fishing/rentention, not that I think our bass are great table fare, correct me if I am wrong.

Or if you want to jump in with both feet, search for "Elk Lake Carp" on this site.

Hmm the Walmart seem to be out of stock... any other recommendations?

Typical Wal-Mart.
You can always call and inquire about a restock(ask for the fishing/sports dept) etc...not sure how they handle customer service now a days...
Or if you're driving by an out of town WM check them.
Might be worth the wait as there isn't much action to be had as far as bass go for at least another 4-6 weeks.
Keep your eye on any WM or Can. Tire flyers, they may have deals certain months.
There are other cheaper rods & combos but the one I mentioned has the best value IMO, all metal parts make up the reel.
Many have mostly plastic parts(chromed to look like metal) that make up the reel, try to avoid those as they are easily damaged if you drop your rod.
I have a Zebco Z-cast rod, reel & line combo(WM @ $15.97) that I have landed many fish on, even a few 8+lb carp, casts great with upgraded line but has the cheapy plastic chromed reel parts...but that doesn't seem to keep the fish from biting !
Sky is the limit as to how much you want to spend on a rod, reel & line....all the way from $10.00-$1000.00+

Thnx for the info, how often does this happen? Would it happen with the fake worms as often?

Yes, pretty much any lure/bait that is not in motion(sitting on the bottom/floating on the surface etc) has a greater chance of becoming a throat hook situation.
Trolling from a boat or retrieving lures casting from shore has very little chance of getting a fish throat hooked.

As far as Bass fishing, all of the local Victoria lakes have them, please be mindfull of the regs as when they spawn, they will be sitting on their redds right by the shoreline guarding eggs, I don't think it's a great idea to disturb them at that point, especially with the sunfish problem we have these days. I'm not sure what the regs are on Bass fishing/rentention, not that I think our bass are great table fare, correct me if I am wrong.

No retention(keeping/killing) April 15 - June 15
If you like eating fish then you will like bass, grilled is best, little bit of crushed garlic & sesame seed oil...num ! :D

Or if you want to jump in with both feet, search for "Elk Lake Carp" on this site.

Oh yeah ! heh heh ! :eek:

The younger you get them started on fishing the better. You can help influence them the right ways of doing things on the water. THe most importent thing is to keep them involved. I spent a day on the campbell river with my friend and his 2 daughters catching pinks. I made about 10 casts all day as I spent 6 hours tying gear for them and teaching to cast and taking pictures.

Those are the days I remember most. The smiles and excitment of them catching a fish on their own. When they start to tie there own gear and pick there own lures it gets even better!

Also I am in a boat.

-KK

Perfect, I'm looking forward to getting the nephews and nieces out (I've got a lot). Thanks for the story, just makes me look even more to it now!

Cheers

Most of the lakes you can get at on the South Island are so loaded with swtocked fish it's unlikely you will run into a spawner, but the red stripe is a clue. As far as backroad map books, I have one, but many lakes south of Nanaimo are on Timber West land, and they are gate happy these days. Anglers Atlas is a free site to subscribe to, and has some great information, Google it.

Here is another excellent source:

http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports.aspx

Nice, thanks for the fish stocking resource!

Fair enough, I originally said bass because I thought that may be an easy first fish to start with. I'm thinking the stocked lakes and trout may be a better starting point for a noob, and his little relatives. I definately want to learn more about the regs and the unwritten rules before jumping in. Thanks for the info on Bass Spawning, written down and noted.

Cheers

Typical Wal-Mart.
You can always call and inquire about a restock(ask for the fishing/sports dept) etc...not sure how they handle customer service now a days...
Or if you're driving by an out of town WM check them.
Might be worth the wait as there isn't much action to be had as far as bass go for at least another 4-6 weeks.
Keep your eye on any WM or Can. Tire flyers, they may have deals certain months.
There are other cheaper rods & combos but the one I mentioned has the best value IMO, all metal parts make up the reel.
Many have mostly plastic parts(chromed to look like metal) that make up the reel, try to avoid those as they are easily damaged if you drop your rod.
I have a Zebco Z-cast rod, reel & line combo(WM @ $15.97) that I have landed many fish on, even a few 8+lb carp, casts great with upgraded line but has the cheapy plastic chromed reel parts...but that doesn't seem to keep the fish from biting !
Sky is the limit as to how much you want to spend on a rod, reel & line....all the way from $10.00-$1000.00+

Yes, pretty much any lure/bait that is not in motion(sitting on the bottom/floating on the surface etc) has a greater chance of becoming a throat hook situation.
Trolling from a boat or retrieving lures casting from shore has very little chance of getting a fish throat hooked.

No retention(keeping/killing) April 15 - June 15
If you like eating fish then you will like bass, grilled is best, little bit of crushed garlic & sesame seed oil...num ! :D

Oh yeah ! heh heh ! :eek:

I'd love to say I have the patience to wait, but man I want to get out there asap :)

Going to give trout a go first I think, seems easier for a noob. Def appreciate the help on rod selection, and what to look for. After using a cheaper set, if it is something I really enjoy I'd have no problem spending a bit more for a nice rod that's suitable for different fish (and if you don't mind, I may bug ya again for recommendations!)

Oh man I was looking forward to eating bass, haha, but it looks like June :(.....but hopefully I'll get out there for some catch and release before then.

Elk Lake Carp, are these the mysterious monsters that are for sure present, but hardly ever caught...searching now :D

cheers

I'd love to say I have the patience to wait, but man I want to get out there asap :)

Going to give trout a go first I think, seems easier for a noob. Def appreciate the help on rod selection, and what to look for. After using a cheaper set, if it is something I really enjoy I'd have no problem spending a bit more for a nice rod that's suitable for different fish (and if you don't mind, I may bug ya again for recommendations!)

Oh man I was looking forward to eating bass, haha, but it looks like June :(.....but hopefully I'll get out there for some catch and release before then.

Elk Lake Carp, are these the mysterious monsters that are for sure present, but hardly ever caught...searching now :D

cheers

No worries, I tend to go for trout, bass and carp depending on the time of year, right now...nothing is biting easy(from shore).
Trout this time of year from shore is either fly fishing or floating eggs off of the bottom of the lake, say...5ft off of the bottom(depends on the lake).
There are other methods like sinking eggs on a bobber(or live worms:confused:...I heard) but generally speaking, this time of year from shore certainly limits what you're able to put out there and actually be in reach of the fish.
May & June will be good months for trout & bass from what I hear(I only started in July '12), in the hottest months they head back to deeper water and again you will be limited from shore.......but that's when the carp are hot ! :cool:
Search YouTube for Elk Lake carp ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, I tend to go for trout, bass and carp depending on the time of year, right now...nothing is biting easy(from shore).
Trout this time of year from shore is either fly fishing or floating eggs off of the bottom of the lake, say...5ft off of the bottom(depends on the lake).
There are other methods like sinking eggs on a bobber(or live worms:confused:...I heard) but generally speaking, this time of year from shore certainly limits what you're able to put out there and actually be in reach of the fish.
May & June will be good months for trout & bass from what I hear(I only started in July '12), in the hottest months they head back to deeper water and again you will be limited from shore.......but that's when the carp are hot ! :cool:
Search YouTube for Elk Lake carp ;)

Sweet, looking forward to May and June then :D.....still going to get out there though, at least practise casting and using the equipment!

I was reading in the regs you can have 1 trout 50cm+ but you can catch 2 hatchery steelhead trout 50cm+. I know you can tell by the adipose whether it's a hatchery fish or not but how would i tell the difference between steelhead or any other trout?

and are RB and steelhead the same thing?

Sorry for the endless q's, but you guys have been great.

Cheers

Back