Fly fishing- getting started

Dave....

Just getting started in fly fishing and looking for resources to learn more about gear, where to fish in SW BC and the seemingly never-ending assortment of flies that are available. I am not looking to fish for salmon so can avoid the October madness in local lower mainland rivers. Interested in forums, trade shows, facebook groups etc that are relevant to where we live. My daughter lives in Squamish so hoping that can help me fish there a little more. This is a retirement hobby so planning ahead 6 months or so... thx

Agree with the “Gilly” as a great introduction. The book most importantly gives you the essence of why to fly fish. Also, consider looking into some of the freshwater inexpensive fishing seminars/ classes sponsored by the likes of Andy at Searun and Pacific Angler here on the mainland.

Go into Michael and Young, or SeaRun, or Pacific Angler, and tell them where/when you are going and they should be able to set you up with some flies that will work. Those guys are all avid fisherman and should know what's working. Check some swap meets too for someone selling a case of old flies and that will also get you started.

Books and video are good its never been a better time with the advent of youtube but my simple recommendation is save some money for a fishing guide on the water you are most likely to call home you wont be able to get that sort of experience any other way and it really goes a long way for your confidence which in fishing and more specifically fly fishing is a key aspect.

Not sure if there is an "Chapter" on the Mainland but try the Victoria "Golden Rods N Reels" site , a interesting group.;)

There are a number of forums dedicated to flyfishing, one in particular just for BC. This is more of a saltwater salmon fishing site not particularly well suited to fly fishing.

There are a number of forums dedicated to flyfishing, one in particular just for BC. This is more of a saltwater salmon fishing site not particularly well suited to fly fishing.
yep agreed..I fish from my boat and use this site regularly...but since I couldnt find an active fly SW BC forum, figured some folks here could help.. thx for all the info folks. Seems i have a book to buy to start with ! thx

Last edited:
Back