Kamado Egg Style Grill Smoker

kaelc

A friend gave me a used Char Griller - egg style thin walled grill smoker. Cooking area is 379 sq in and 22" diameter. It came with a bunch of charcoal but I'm not sure I want to go down the route of a slow cooking hobby right now. How do people like these? The reviews look pretty good (compared to cheaper Webbers I assume, not a true thick walled one?)

Do any members use them? I loved cowboy charcoal cooking but with kids I had put it aside, for now.

Any good for fish and should I start looking for brisket or get rid of it and learn to make fried chicken like the king?

IMG_9054.jpeg

A friend gave me a used Char Griller - egg style thin walled grill smoker. Cooking area is 379 sq in and 22" diameter. It came with a bunch of charcoal but I'm not sure I want to go down the route of a slow cooking hobby right now. How do people like these? The reviews look pretty good (compared to cheaper Webbers I assume, not a true thick walled one?)

Do any members use them? I loved cowboy charcoal cooking but with kids I had put it aside, for now.

Any good for fish and should I start looking for brisket or get rid of it and learn to make fried chicken like the king?

View attachment 100100
It's a good lesson in patience for your kids. Nothing beats charcoal!

I use my Kamado for everything one of the best cooking investments I have made. I can make pizza, bread, smoke ribs, spatchcock chicken, whole smoked prime rib. I can go on, but anyway find it really easy to get a fire going and lock in a temp and just go.

We’ve had a medium Big Green Egg for about 3 years now. I had a Traeger and still have a 4-burner Weber Genesis. I gave the Traeger away and the only thing the Weber gets used for is grilling oysters.

Before getting the Egg, I sounded like you. No patience for the wood charcoal. I was an idiot. Hahaha. Well, probably still am, but not for this reason…. I use my weed burner T’d to my 20# propane tank. I put the flame to the wood charcoal for 1-2 minutes. Walk inside and finish prepping the meat. The Egg is ready without making me wait.

Everything tastes better over the wood charcoal fire.

Attachments

• IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 69
Nice looking set up you've got there!
Thank you. My GF built it for me. The door slides all the way left, giving access to the tote of charcoal and a couple other cooking pieces.

Back