New to Anchorage

New boater

Hi, I’m new to boating and would appreciate your opinion:) I’m buying a boat , 40’ motor boat, and have no experience in boating at all. Thinking of doing anchorage till spring time as slips are impossible to find. I‘m reading about anchorage, learning what I can, but it’s still not the same as doing it, especially with no previous experience. I’d appreciate to hear your opinion about the idea, if it’s even doable, should I go for it or let it go (means not buying the boat now and wait till summer, when weather is better). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way we are 3 adults on the boat, so if help is needed in the process, it can be done. All 3 of us are newbies though…we are looking to anchor in Vancouver island. thank you in advanced.

Hi, I’m new to boating and would appreciate your opinion:) I’m buying a boat , 40’ motor boat, and have no experience in boating at all. Thinking of doing anchorage till spring time as slips are impossible to find. I‘m reading about anchorage, learning what I can, but it’s still not the same as doing it, especially with no previous experience. I’d appreciate to hear your opinion about the idea, if it’s even doable, should I go for it or let it go (means not buying the boat now and wait till summer, when weather is better). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way we are 3 adults on the boat, so if help is needed in the process, it can be done. All 3 of us are newbies though…we are looking to anchor in Vancouver island. thank you in advanced.
Do you have a name for your boat yet? Maybe "On The Rocks"

Can we see picks of this boat?
Where are you planning on anchoring?

Gentlemen , please !! ( takes a puff from his imaginary snooty pipe )

what my esteemed colleagues are trying to say is the South East winds that are bound to start soon and not cease until around late April tend to make even ONE night on anchor uncomfortable; let alone months on end.
Look up Sharphooks excellent re-telling of his events up North. https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/north-coast-crusade-part-i.88600/unread

He is a seasoned mariner and had a heck of a time keeping his much smaller vessel off the beach.

May I ask why this is an avenue you are considering? Is it housing related? living on a boat and cruising/ exploring the coast is one thing, but three adults staying in one spot on anchor for months in sustained SE winds is a recipe for a triple homicide.

Surely there has to be a marina somewhere with available shore power etc where you can get off and go shopping and have a proper shower somewhere on the island?!

Your idea, as others have said, is very ill-informed. Wintering at anchor on our coast is extremely risky and uncomfortable. Even those with very robust moorings do not leave their boats over the winter. Apart from regular storms, everything on your boat will be damp or wet for months, if you are planning to live onboard. What are you planning for heating fuel, water and sanitation?

Many smaller boats come out of the water at marinas over the winter and transient slips are available. You will likely find space for the 4 winter months if you look. You will then have shore-power, laundry, showers and washrooms, making your winter aboard almost bearable.

Last edited:
Back