New reel for the boat

daddystoy

Was at Berry's Bait yesterday replacing gear that was lost to "Mr Whiskers" on Tuesday while fishing at the hump and started to look at some nice reels. I have been fishing the basic combo 10.5 rod with the M-one reel. Decent setup but I knew that at some point it would be nice to get some better reels. Well I had the older boy with me and we are getting the sales pitch on the different reels and I ask about the Trophy reels. Well, they just happen to have them on sale for $250.00 The kid says I'll buy it!! What? Yeah lets get it. Okay. So we now have are first good quality reel. Excited to give it a try and see how she feels. I know its not an Islander!! But it fits the budget a lot better. I have a feeling this is just going to lead to another new reel very shortly!!

Attachments

• DSC01456.jpg
    DSC01456.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC01460.jpg
    DSC01460.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 396
I have a couple and once you get used to the drag you'll enjoy! Unlike other reels where you have a lot of room to crank the drag it takes much less of a turn to be tightened down to almost free spooling.

If I could make one recommendation I would put loctite on the handles....I have had a couple go flying off and have a couple of friends that have had the same issue.

I have some Shimano paddles I am going to put on mine as per Wolf's thread a couple years ago but have not got around to it yet. The small handles in my opinion are the one downfall of the reels.

Thanks for the tips, Pippen! I've got some loctite so I will do that. I will have to Google the shimano paddles to see the difference. Can't wait to get a big one on to see the difference a quality reel makes!!

I may have Wolf's thread and I think another one by Firelight on this forum saved on my PC (on my iPad now) who provided pretty good tutorials. One was with Shimano paddles and I think firelight's was with Islander paddles.

I should add....just be aware the first few times you put the line down on the riggers...with that sensitive drag it's easy to loosen up a tad too much and wind up with a bit of a bird's nest on the reel. I speak from experience...haha. I usually don't let newbs put down the lines as it is easy to make a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Reel daddystoy! You will definitely like playing a fish on a quality reel for sure.....not sure what you're use to though? No matter......it will be just the beginning of buying shiny new reels! ;) Pippen......I have a few new reels coming that I think you'll like? Orange Islanders.....lol Now to find some black mono or braid.......:p

Flyers orange!!! I like it! Maybe I should send over my Flyers plug to try this summer! :p

Killer combo! :cool:

I have a couple and once you get used to the drag you'll enjoy! Unlike other reels where you have a lot of room to crank the drag it takes much less of a turn to be tightened down to almost free spooling.

If I could make one recommendation I would put loctite on the handles....I have had a couple go flying off and have a couple of friends that have had the same issue.

I have some Shimano paddles I am going to put on mine as per Wolf's thread a couple years ago but have not got around to it yet. The small handles in my opinion are the one downfall of the reels.
just swap out the drag spring for some islander ones and theyre like butter afterwards:D

Whats the advantage don't have any problems with mine.... Although I am not fishing 180-200 foot depths.. Only thing I changed is took off the knobs and went to islander paddles.

Whats the advantage don't have any problems with mine.... Although I am not fishing 180-200 foot depths.. Only thing I changed is took off the knobs and went to islander paddles.

SV.....how tough was the Islander paddle swap? Are they the metal paddles or plastic?

I have Shimano paddles to swap in....but was wondering about Islander like firelight did?

Ask Wolf.... He helped me...he had a whole thread on the process...Truthfully you have to do a bit of modifying and it wasn't that easy.... You basically make hole larger and back drill and countersink on opposite side of reel... I small right angle dremel would be perfect for this...

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rig...n0AGQ&ef_id=UwzyTgAAAE5qYM03:20140509055604:s

But I think these handles are better personally they are not metal they are delrin.... But they are more expensive then shimano. Best to get them right from islander. You need post/handle kit ....

They look like this in this thread....

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/206113-islander-mr3-mooching-reel.html

Roger that....I know the threads you refer to and I think it involves tapping etc. Way beyond my comfort level....Shimanos seem easier.

Thanks for the reply.

Not tapping....Just drilling...Know what you mean I am in the process of offering retro fit kits for variety of reels in the future...With a variety of anodized and delrin machined handles...Just working out pricing/prototypes..

Prawn Star.....aside from a slight mod/drill to the inside of the paddle it seems like an easy paddle swap? May get on it today but as I am fishing tomorrow I am worried about screwing it up...haha. :eek:

A week or two ago I was going to do the last handle I need to replace with the Islander paddle but I couldn't find the special countersink I made when doing the other reels, oh no. I'm sure I put it where it would be safe, lol.

Daddystoy your gonna enjoy the reel for sure, I use mine more than my Islander, I like it custom.

Back