New Guide Certification Guidelines

Ryan, the class was sponsored by Sooke Harbour Marina but the instructor and course were put on by Coast Guard Auxiliary. All proceeds from the class go back to the auxiliary to get their volunteer members through their training for free. So we do see some direct benefit in good rescue services, which you may need one day. I would rather see my money go here than to TC.

Wow, I cant believe what Transport Canada told me this morning. And I quote "the only requirement to guide is a C registration, anything else is a bonus". You still need your operators permit, which if you have your MED's, all you have to do is mail a copy of it and 21$ to 26 gordon gate court, Toronto, Ont., M1P 3A5, ATTN: Bev Walter. They will appearantly issue your card.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

From what ive been told as of nov 7th you need the svop can you confirm rollie???
As it seems there is a lot of uncertainty but Im almost 100% sure you need thes last courses or face fines or the last resort taking a boat if you continue to "try and go under the radar" as from ive heard from fisheries (officer) there are really going to crack down next summer.
I dont like it as I really thinks it nothing but a cash grab and then whats going to stop them from reinventing some other thing to take its all political B.S. but what is one to do???

From what I see happening is people who have got everything in order and "fly by night BOB'S charters" doesnt have anything it will create anger with fellow guides and then there will be backstabbing and phone calls ratting people out etc which in my opnion takes the fun out of guiding and fishing in general very sad indeed.

Wolf

They'll be enforcing it alright. There will be some pretty substantial fines too from what I've heard. Basically if they catch you, you're breaking the law, and it won't be as simple as "here's a ticket, now go back to fishing"...you day will be over. As well, imagine doing that in front of your guests too! The season is short, and you're going to be chained to the dock until you get certified? Suppose it is a cash grab? You can bet they'll be enforcing it!!!!

It's not like you just waltz on down to the local shop and get your certifications either..you have to get into a class and take the class! Get your pieces of paper so you can wave the guys off while they're 15 feet away and get back to catching fish!!!

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

I don't think they really care enough though. Last year saw the RCMP boat 3 times on water and never stopped. One time way out in the boonies too, was pulling up from hali spot, and they pulled about 50ft away and dropped their lines...made me laugh pretty hard.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

I think the Miss Heather may exceed 5 gross volume tons Serengeti..it's that's the case, then you need more than an SVOP/Med A3/Commercial Radio Ops Certificate. What is the Miss Heather in terms of Gross Volume Tons?

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

I don't think they really care enough though. Last year saw the RCMP boat 3 times on water and never stopped. One time way out in the boonies too, was pulling up from hali spot, and they pulled about 50ft away and dropped their lines...made me laugh pretty hard.

*NEW VIDEO*

I think the Miss Heather may exceed 5 gross volume tons Serengeti..it's that's the case, then you need more than an SVOP/Med A3/Commercial Radio Ops Certificate. What is the Miss Heather in terms of Gross Volume Tons?

Yes I know, it is approx. 7.2 when we did the measurements to send in the C registration. I have my limited masters, and that is what is needed for it, the Med A2 and ROC-MC and first aid are all pre reqs for it so I had to take those too! The Ms. Heather IV is 4.9, or if we just used the simplified method it is 5 on the dot and doesn't need LM, just the Med's and all that jazz.

*NEW VIDEO*

Yes the SVOP is now required as of Nov 7th...it allows you to operate up to 12 passengers and 15 gross tons. Next year that is being reduced to 6 passengers and 5 gross tons. However if you got the SVOP done while it was valid for 15 gross tons..your grand fathered. Others will need a limited masters over 5 gross tons next year. I agree with LC I hope the enforcement keeps the fly by nighters away from paying trips. I was checked once last year...but once you have the yellow sticker you are not as much a priority and less likely to be checked. Which is fair, stop and check the boats with charter advertising and nothing displayed first.

SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course)
This is a stand-alone course addressing the particular needs for some minimum standards of training for operators of:

Commercial vessels, other than tugs, up to 5 Gross Tonnage operating not more than 25 miles offshore
Fishing vessels up to 15 Gross Tonnage or 12 meters overall length operating not more than 25 miles offshore.

We are classed as Commercial, so it is still only certified for 5 ton either way for our purpose, now or in the new year.

www.tailspincharters.com

Yes, I agree there needs to be more enforcement. Apparently the new boats that are in service now for the Olympic Security are all coming back to the coast for enforcement. There were 6 built, and I have seen them on the road and water. Highly specialized boats, fully capable of off shore interception. The program has been a joke to this point, however if these same boats make it onto the water this summer I suspect some of the fly by nighters will drop off the planet when their boats are tied up to the dock under an enforcement order as promised by TC when I chatted with them on this subject to voice my complaints.

So for anyone who thinks they can fly under the radar, the better way to approach this is to think about the benefits to you and your guests if you learn only one thing that could save a life or your vessel. I think the good operators will take the high road and the red necks will choose their path....and hopefully not pay the hard way.

Also on the 5 gross tons, watch out to ensure if you go over that that you have the necessary life raft - which has to be certified each year!! The trick is to buy a boat that is just under 5 tons.

Another issue is the inspection process is very slow...there is a more than 2 year wait list now. So if you think it will be easy to get your inspection and yellow sticker on a new vessel, think again. It will take a few years as there is only one TC inspector since George became ill and wasn't replaced. You might get lucky if you can organize a mass inspection with a number of other operators in one place. It is worth a try - make it easy and they might come.

Ultimately this program will be very good for our industry and the consumer - please consider getting on board.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Yes the SVOP is now required as of Nov 7th...it allows you to operate up to 12 passengers and 15 gross tons. Next year that is being reduced to 6 passengers and 5 gross tons. However if you got the SVOP done while it was valid for 15 gross tons..your grand fathered. Others will need a limited masters over 5 gross tons next year. I agree with LC I hope the enforcement keeps the fly by nighters away from paying trips. I was checked once last year...but once you have the yellow sticker you are not as much a priority and less likely to be checked. Which is fair, stop and check the boats with charter advertising and nothing displayed first.

Still haven't found out this is true or not though...fairly certain it is not. Still need the LM. And due to the ridiculous line for inspection, TC has said to just make sure you have all your safety gear/equipment on board, and proof that you are co-operating with the program.

*NEW VIDEO*

You guy's are quite out to lunch on the inspection part of the process as far as I can see.
It's a self-inspection</u> which means you do it yourself and send the paperwork in.
If you think this is not true I did mine last spring in 5 day's start to finish for the blue sticker.
The courses are self explanitory and are a must have as of Nov 7 like previously stated numerous times.
The standards for vessels above 5 tons are and can be quite different and more involved per say then those vessels that are below.
i.e. liferafts, fire surpression, insurance, etc.
Just do the research and it's all there and error on the side of caution is always best.

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

quote:Originally posted by richmake

You guy's are quite out to lunch on the inspection part of the process as far as I can see.
It's a self-inspection</u> which means you do it yourself and send the paperwork in.
If you think this is not true I did mine last spring in 5 day's start to finish for the blue sticker.
The courses are self explanitory and are a must have as of Nov 7 like previously stated numerous times.
The standards for vessels above 5 tons are and can be quite different and more involved per say then those vessels that are below.
i.e. liferafts, fire surpression, insurance, etc.
Just do the research and it's all there and error on the side of caution is always best.

Self inspection for those under 5 Gross Tons...I was referring to that of over 5 gross tons which is not self inspected as i'm assuming searun was as well. Using the simplified method it is any boat under approx. 28ft that is under 5GT.

*NEW VIDEO*

Here is my email from Boris regarding 15 ton SVOP, only works if you are commercial fishing, not carrying passenger:

Good morning Mr.Wagner

Holder of SVOP training certificate can operate :

Passenger vessel up to 5 GT in Near Costal Voyage Class 2 ( not more than 25 N/M from Shore ).

The Sport Fishing Business is a passenger carry operation.

Regards
Boris Glazar
Marine Inspector / Inspecteur Maritime
Marine / Maritime
(250)363-0394,Facssimile/Telecopier (250)363-0330
TTY/ATS (613)990-4500
Boris.Glazar@tc.gc.ca
Transport Canada/Transports Canada
501-1230 Government St.
Victoria, BC. V8W-3M4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Kelly Wagner [mailto:info@lastchancefishingadventures.com]
Sent: November 17, 2009 7:25 PM
To: Glazar, Boris
Subject: SVOP

I currently have my SVOP course, having taken it January 2009. Does this grandfather me up to 15 gross tonnes? Or am I still at 5? This is for operating my sport fishing business.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Tailspin
Major Contributor

Canada
1664 Posts
Posted - 11/17/2009 : 20:17:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course)
This is a stand-alone course addressing the particular needs for some minimum standards of training for operators of:

Commercial vessels, other than tugs, up to 5 Gross Tonnage operating not more than 25 miles offshore
Fishing vessels up to 15 Gross Tonnage or 12 meters overall length operating not more than 25 miles offshore.

We are classed as Commercial, so it is still only certified for 5 ton either way for our purpose, now or in the new year.

www.tailspincharters.com

It just goes to show you how screwed up this system is Chad. I as all who i know who are certified, regardless of under 5 tons or not was required to do a long drawn out stability test and full initial inspection followed by annual self inspections as i have done for the past two years. How do you get away with just a self inspection without the initial ? Good on ya if it flies but we require a yellow sticker here with annual self inspection decals each year.

www.tailspincharters.com

I stand corrected...just got the info which confirms 5 gross tons. 15 for fishing only vessels.

Hey Tailspin, TC does not have the manpower to do the initial inspections. My first vessel was inspected under the program when it started in 2006, but my second vessel which I brought in from the US in November of 2008 is on a wait list. The process is you apply for your C number, request an Initial Inspection and then complete your own self inspection. They send you a blue sticker which is a provisional until they can get to you for the Initial.

That's how it works...and they told me in the Nanaimo TC office that there were 200+ boats on the list ahead of me, and because I already had been through the process with my other boat it was likely I would be at the bottom of the list for a while. Also, part of the SVOP program is aimed at teaching you what is required on your vessel, so they have it covered. I looked on my SVOP Certificate and there are no indications on it as to the distinction of 5 gross tonnes or 15, so my assumption all along is 5 gross tonnes for charter vessel and up to 15 for commercial fishing vessel as Kelly points out. This was also covered in the SVOP course. Anything over that requires a Masters Certificate and as mentioned before life raft, and if I'm not mistaken additional crewing. That is one reason why you need to be very careful not to exceed 5 gross tonnes. My 265 Grady White Express worked out to be 4.93 gross tonnes, so be very careful, it doesn't take much of a boat to exceed.

quote:Originally posted by searun

Hey Tailspin, TC does not have the manpower to do the initial inspections. My first vessel was inspected under the program when it started in 2006, but my second vessel which I brought in from the US in November of 2008 is on a wait list. The process is you apply for your C number, request an Initial Inspection and then complete your own self inspection. They send you a blue sticker which is a provisional until they can get to you for the Initial.

That's how it works...and they told me in the Nanaimo TC office that there were 200+ boats on the list ahead of me, and because I already had been through the process with my other boat it was likely I would be at the bottom of the list for a while. Also, part of the SVOP program is aimed at teaching you what is required on your vessel, so they have it covered. I looked on my SVOP Certificate and there are no indications on it as to the distinction of 5 gross tonnes or 15, so my assumption all along is 5 gross tonnes for charter vessel and up to 15 for commercial fishing vessel as Kelly points out. This was also covered in the SVOP course. Anything over that requires a Masters Certificate and as mentioned before life raft, and if I'm not mistaken additional crewing. That is one reason why you need to be very careful not to exceed 5 gross tonnes. My 265 Grady White Express worked out to be 4.93 gross tonnes, so be very careful, it doesn't take much of a boat to exceed.

Pretty much as I thought

Back