New Guide Certification Guidelines

Cuba Libre

Vancouver, BC – go2 – BC’s tourism industry human resource association and the Sport Fishing Institute (SFI) of British Columbia are pleased to announce a new Tidal Angling Guide (TAG) training program to be piloted this October, reviewed and refined through December and launched in January 2010.
Coordinated by PropelTM, go2’s industry training division, the new program was designed in cooperation with stakeholders including ex-officio government representatives, First Nations, lodge owners, independent anglers and guides. The program aims to establish best practices and standards for approximately 2,000 salt water (tidal angling) fishing guides in the province, ensuring the highest customer service and safety standards.
Encouraged and supported by the BC Ministry of Environment, Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Transport Canada, the provincial Tidal Angling Guide training program will be the first of its kind in North America. Anglers contribute $7.5 billion to various economies in Canadian provinces and territories; $1.2 billion within British Columbia.
A certification program and a cadre of certified guides will also enable the SFI, Tourism BC and Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts to promote sport fishing in BC as distinct from other destinations that do not have the same high standard of training,
knowledge and professionalism among its guides.
Delivered in a classroom, online and in the workplace, the technical training portion of the program will take approximately 100 hours, with a minimum of 500 hours of on-the-water guiding time with clients. The full program has been designed to encompass one fishing season, with three components: pre-season training, in-season training and final assessment and certification at the end of the season. The program includes the Small Vessel Operator Certificate (SVOP), mandatory for commercial operators as of
November 7, 2009. A challenge version of the TAG will be available in order to allow experienced guides to acquire certification and any necessary regulatory certificates they do not already possess.
The first of the training pilots began on October 5th in Campbell River, the second in Sandspit on October 20th. These trial programs run for approximately three weeks and include all aspects of the program; Marine Emergency Duties (MED A3), SVOP, Radio
Operators Card - Marine Commercial (ROC-MC) and the TAG module. There was no charge to participate however all participants were asked to attend the full program, rather than challenging portions of the program as will be possible following the launch.
More details regarding the TAG program and the launch will be provided at the SFI AGM on November 18th. Sign-up for full TAG and challenge TAG courses (beginning in January) will also be available at the November 18th SFI AGM.
About the Sport Fishing Institute of BC (SFI):
SFI is committed to the sustainability and protection of fish stocks and the continued growth of anglers' expectations and opportunities to enjoy the resource. A non-profit society, the SFI represents the interests of the recreational tidal fishing sector including lodges/resorts, charter operators, guides, tackle manufacturers, distributors, tackle shops, boat manufacturers, regional airline companies, and everyday anglers.
For more information on the SFI go to www.sportfishing.bc.ca
About go2 & PROPEL
Established in 2003, go2’s mission is to assist the tourism industry address challenges in at-tracting employees and retaining its workforce in order to support industry growth. PROPEL, a division of go2, was sanctioned by the Industry Training Authority to take on an industry-driven training mandate for British Columbia’s tourism sector. The apprenticeship programs for cooks, bakers and meat cutters, currently fall under the jurisdiction of PROPEL. It is also Propels mandate to assess the need for new industry certifications.
For more information, visit www.go2propel.ca.mommy

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Sounds like nothing more than another money grab, you can't teach people skills, personality or common sense.

billreidsalmon.jpg

I do not see where this is a mandatory course...agree someone is creating some work for themselves. Guessing there is some grants involved. Whenever someone gets transport Canada involved look out.

This is brutal....... definitely a money grab.

I can see the theory that new guides should be trained to a certain degree of consistency across the board including all aspects of professionalism and saftey, but as mentioned above, you can't teach skill,experience, personality. Even slight restrictions or prerequisites will potentially eliminate current guides from being able to complete the said course. We all know what challenging the course means. [xx(] Old timer guides with thousands of hours on the water are going to be replaced with wet behind the ears wannabees with certificates.

Got to keep the "gun registry" clerks employed somehow![B)]

IMO, Whoever came up with this idea is someone who is an entrepreneur or hard core businessman and not someone who is truly passionate about people, hospitality, sportfishing and the resource. I think they're trying to masquerade this program as such when in fact it isn't. What it does is get some wannabe or newbie wet-behind the ears youngin' involved in the industry as "McDonald's" type employees. Just because you have a frickin' certificate doesn't mean you're qualified for anything imo.

As a casual guide, I have my SVOP, PCOC, Radio Ops, OFA Level 3, Med A3 and I can tell you that NONE of these pieces of paper replace experience or good judgement or the passion for the sport. I wouldn't call myself more qualified or competent from having taken any of those courses either...because none of those courses teach "skill" or competency. 500 hours of "guiding" doesn't mean diddley---it's all the soft skills which are gleaned from experience, aptitude, life experiences, etc which make a "guide" a good "guide".

Just because you get a "driver's license" doesn't mean you can drive safely. Just because you're a "Waste Sanitation Engineer" doesn't mean much when you're the garbage man!

I think it's people fighting for survival and trying to make a name for themselves---to me..that's what this is about.

The "survival" of the fittest in this industry will prevail---and any business operator worth his salt won't last or survive on their guides having this course.

The "men" and "women" will be seperated from the "girls and boys" with or without this Tidal Angliing Guide training program.

I'm disappointed in the BC Tourism HR Association and SFI for dreaming up something flawed from the very start.

This isn't skiing, bartending, or flippin' burgers at McDick's and asking if you'd like that Supersized here, this is sportfishing and guiding.

That's my $2 worth.

FM out.

Where is the guide license component that should come with this. Something that would actually make it worthwhile. Just like a commercial license so that your guiding/chartering business has real value. I have all the courses so not concerned so long as the challenge is free.

Good post FM.One thing to remember is if nobody supports the program it will go away. If the big lodges sign up, money will soon follow and the program will grow. The pilot program will fail if there is no participants. Nowhere I have seen a mandatory challenge,I know if you dig a bit you will know the creator of this course....you have worked with him years ago FM.

....been thinking,

I have seen lodges whom will hire a young guy that has no experience at all in terms of fishing. I have seen that person employed as a deckhand or a waiter or even a steward. They will openly say that they have little to no interest in anything to do with fishing. "just here for a summer gig" they usually say. I have seen that same person be given the keys to the boat and told to go guide a couple that has just shown up on the docks. Yhup, one season later and this same kid is now the head guide. Yeah OK...... this course are for those lodges who want to fast track the regular Joe.

The hardcore guide with a rounded angling repuitar is built slowly over a lifetime. There is no substitute. Hopefully this new program will somehow acknowledge that and all is not lost in the fine art of what guiding truly is.

You know, I wouldn't be too worried or get too excited about this. Who are the majority of the green tourists gonna hire for a day trip (let's say cruise ship tourists)? The cheapest and closest to the dock guide outfit. And who are experienced and hard core West Coast tourists gonna hire for a guided trip? The guide outfit they have been using successfully for years or a good buddy's recommendation. I wouldn't wanna be a newbee guide even with all the certificates in the world and trying to make a living off guiding - sorry, no chance. So unless you are cheap or good you have no chance in this competitive business. IMHO

Yep and cheap usually goes hand in hand with no TC compliance, no proper life jackets, radar reflector, flares, proper safety and maintenance procedures, SVOP, MED 1-2 or 3, radio cert, not collecting tax, cash jobs..etc etc. A level playing field would be nice!!!!

.....well, that is very true profisher.

Always seems like there is a guy out there that will be giving his labour away for next to nothing. Makes it near impossible to operate a fully legitimate business with all of it's overhead.

DONT THINK IT WILL STOP ONCE THIS BATCH HAS BEEN COMPLETED. The clowns that thought this up are already thinking of what they can come up with once this has been completed. They are trying to justify the jobs they have. University trained little puks.

I dont know what direction to go any more seems like another money grab ive fished this Island for 20 yrs just trying to get a buisness going on the side because I enjoy fishing so much but I wouldnt make enough money at it partime to cover all the cost for these Damn Courses. I pitty all the guys trying to make a real living at it, at this rate you wont have to worry about me cutting in on any of your regular buisness, ready to fn give up!!! Dont even understand what damn courses you need anymore.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Back