New Guide Certification Guidelines

Brass was fine for me when i had my inspection done. Don't get to wrapped up in the construction standards.

The main concerns to name a few, seem to be a main fuel shutoff valve in accesable location, 36" minimum rail height on the working deck, radar reflector, demonstrate working nav lights, horn, TC approved DSC VHF, bilge pumps and a pass on the stability test. Each boat varies dependent on the individual inspectors preference as well.

The majority of my inspection was spent on up to date safety items and proof of training certification and related paperwork.Took about 2 hours total if i remember correctly.

www.tailspincharters.com

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

quote:Originally posted by richmake

I would do some checking on the blue sticker boys
I was under the impression from who I've talked to that under 8m is blue sticker only
no yellow sticker anymore
that's why we switched last year
worth checkin into
if you were over 8m you needed to be inspected not just have the paper work in

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

I sure as hell ain't waiting 2 years...it's their fault not mine, I"m still going fishing!!!

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

I'm not sure anyones at fault per say
The fact is that in order to operate legally this year most operators will need to be inspected.
It's been coming for a long time and all of us had lot's of time to prepare.
I think that if you say it's two year wait it's only because the vessel is probably located in an isolated area.
If you bring the vessel to a TC themselves I'm sure the wait is not 2 years.
I would look into the blue self-inspection a little further david as you will have to have the other one done anyhow.
The length and tonnage of the larger vessel is a little bit of an issue and trust me...don't take no for an answer when you talk to the brass...just persevere and it will happen.

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

I have been though the inspection process in 2006. Not a big deal, and was very informative. The structural elements are listed, and as noted in earlier posts they pay close attention to all thru hulls. Must be metal - no plastic, and must have shut off valves installed. All your hoses must have check valves if they cannot be equipped with shut offs. The idea being they do not want water back feeding into the hull and no way to stop it. The doors must be able to be water tight if open to the water. Fuel lines must have proper shut offs. There can be no wiring for aux items such as down riggers hooked direct to batteries....best to install a separate fuse block.

Don't sweat the stuff you are not sure about. If it doesn't pass they will write up a notice of order giving you specific time frame to remedy the item. It is then up to you to provide evidence (photos and invoices)you have fixed the item before operations are allowed if deemed to be a major safety defect. If it is a minor one they will give a reasonable time to get it done. Again, this is no big deal. They are very knowledgeable and reasonable on most items.

One item most every vessel will not comply with is the 36 inch distance from floor to top of gunnel. You will have to either install a rail, rope or in some cases use your down rigger boom to provide a way to contain guests inside the boat while running only. Once you are fishing you can take down the restraint devices.

The blue sticker as far as I know is the provisional, but I may have got that wrong if they switched colour from yellow. Regardless, it really doesn't matter as the main issue is getting into the process, requesting the first inspection and doing your best to ready your boat for it. Main focus is always safety, and you can't go wrong if that is your focus.

Don't forget to have all your vessel certificates, and crew training records on hand in your boat at all times.

So had to bring this back up as I have now had DOT go over the new boat. a few thing he found of course no scissors in my first aid kit and a manual and tape. oh well off to the drug store. other than that it passed with ease after I get all that i just have to e-mail him and tell him everything is on the boat now and hell send me it.

A few things you guys may want to know and LC was a witness to it all they are starting the crack down now and they have a list of none compliente fishing guides both kelly and i were in a bit of shock as he said "were going after them" and they are sending letters out as the are on the hunt now.

As for the sticker program and this is how it works if you do your own inspection you get a BLUE sticker and if you get pulled over and they find ANY thing not right or bullfudged it in any way they will pull it.

The YELLOW is for guys who have gotten DOT to come and inspect it thats why the 2 color differences. then if nothing changes you fill out a form every year stating so, and you get an annual upto date tiny sticker you put on your existing yellow one.
He said as well if the DOT,RCMP,or even coast gaurd see the yellow they will mostly leave you alone as they know you have already been inspected and dont want to waste yours and theres time.

Yor better to get the inspection done now than later as he said hes not really busy as of now but will be a lot later.
And been told by someone that they may not do stability tests down the road and you will have to pay an ocean enginner to do it "big busks" now its free your call.

So it all took just 6 weeks to get the process done from the "C" numbers to the on land inspection to the stability test and water inspection and boris was great to me and answered all my questions I found it very imformative. so saying there is a wait list of years ??? I dont know maybe some other place but not for sooke or vic.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Nice work Roy, feels good to have it all done with hey.
He also mentioned the price of the Stab testing, ouch! 2005 and newer... Sound as though they have to pay it too? He said he is doing it as a favour so to speak, I also got the hint that will not happen much longer. As far as yellow or Blue, they still board you with the yellow looking for documentation.
I have been hearing for 5 years that "they" are crunching down, have yet to see it happen. With the introduction of SVOP added to the mandatory list as of Nov 09 it sent everyone into panic mode.

www.tailspincharters.com

Hey Wolf what happened to your sissors ?
Did the have sticky green stuff all over them?LOL!!)

I don't remember seeing very many, if any stickers on the WCVI fleet.

Before you start doing a stability test you should check to see if your vessel is ISO certified. Most well know quality vessels spend the 20K and seek ISO registration.

I did a search on the TC web site of ISO certified vessels and discovered our vessel is ISO certified. I printeded it and sent it to TC and no testing for me.

TC follows ISO certification for # of passengers, stability..........

D&D Fishing Charters

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Doug,

Can you give a better idea of where you found that list of ISO certified vessels? I can find lots of inof on what to do but know list.

Thanks

Wade

www.bearcovecottages.ca
Port Hardy BC
Canada

quote:Originally posted by Doug

Before you start doing a stability test you should check to see if your vessel is ISO certified. Most well know quality vessels spend the 20K and seek ISO registration.

I did a search on the TC web site of ISO certified vessels and discovered our vessel is ISO certified. I printeded it and sent it to TC and no testing for me.

TC follows ISO certification for # of passengers, stability..........

D&D Fishing Charters

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Doug, can you clip us a link to the specific spot on the TC web site with the ISO certified vessels please....tx:)

Searun

th_067.jpg

Here are the sites for vessel certification.

Go to the index page site and in the top corner of the page you will see search. In put your vessel, make or model and if it's ISO registrated it will come up. Or you can go page by page for a 1/2 hour and hope you find it.

I originaly got my ISO info from my boat builder and then found our vessel information on the attached TC site.

Hopefully this site will help you save some $$$ in not implementing the testing.

If there is a problem, Google search "Transport Canada Marine ISO" and take it from there.

Good Luck

http://www.imci.org/
http://imci.org/index.php?nav=56&pageId=17

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Back