New chinook regs for early fraser river run!!!

Great info Charlie
Does not make me feel any more confident in the future of our Chinook Salmon fishery or the decisions presently being made by DFO.
Now that so many sporties in the Juan de Fuca area have turned to halibut, (I am not new to it. I have fished them locally for over 20 years) this will be the next big gong show (actually it already is)!
I worry someone is going to get drowned soon in a big tide while trying to pull anchor without the proper equipment.
There are a bunch of seninars on the subject, which only serves to put more inexperianced halibut fishermen on the water and compound the problem.

Sad isn't it. At one time you would have to walk on salmon to cross any stream connected to the Pacific. Then DOF decided too many fish in a stream was bad and now we are fighting over allocating the few fish remaining. The rivers are still there and so are fisheries. Now PM Harper has decided he should have the right to personally decimate whatever runs he wants for whatever reason. Mid he wants to wine and dine members of his party at taxpayer expense. Sell of a salmon run, a special halibut selling. That is on top of what he sees his right to destroy whatever stream or watershed he wants. If he gets his way, there will be no 4-1, 5-2 or or any run. The future of Salmon is now in our hands. If we don't exceed we will think back and laugh at these exchanges.

I worry someone is going to get drowned soon in a big tide while trying to pull anchor without the proper equipment.
There are a bunch of seninars on the subject, which only serves to put more inexperianced halibut fishermen on the water and compound the problem.

Did you attend the local seminar in Victoria foggy glasses? Well I did with my son and a couple of 30 year sportfishing veterans. The major thing we walked away with from it was SAFETY. The people that put on the anchoring demo's did a great job of putting safety first and foremost. There are some folks out there besides commercial fisherman that know how to safely catch these fish. Just sayin'.

Sorry for the rant and hijack.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's back off on "Fogged in" , I'm pretty sure he's just a concerned sport fisherman
like the rest of us.
These times are trying, people get vocal especially when they start losing fishing rights.
we need to band together, not attack each other.

Did you attend the local seminar in Victoria foggy glasses? Well I did with my son and a couple of 30 year sportfishing veterans. The major thing we walked away with from it was SAFETY. The people that put on the anchoring demo's did a great job of putting safety first and foremost. There are some folks out there besides commercial fisherman that know how to safely catch these fish. Just sayin'.

Sorry for the rant and hijack.

Hello John
Yes...I rather expected the safety and instructions on anchoring was well done.
You probably have a lot of experience on the water and will understand what I am saying when, if you have not already, got caught in any tide over 1.5 or more knots you will see how that safety advice is so important. Even when pulling an anchor off a Scotsman buoy, mistakes do happen.
They will go under in a big tide like a plainer.
Unfortunately the majority of new halibut off anchor fishermen do not take the time to attend such a well done seminar.
You are not one of them.
Sorry for these posts...they are way off subject...won't do it again.

Yep...
DFO sure would have a hard time explaining to me they have "no data" on Fraser Chinook, especially after reading this report on Georgia Strait! :eek::rolleyes:

Thursday May 6, 2010
Mel Sheng, Canada Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Salmon Enhancement Program
An Overview of Coho and Chinook Hatchery Facilities in the Strait of Georgia (SoGSalishSea)

Sheng_Georgia Strait Chinook May 4 10 3.jpg

http://www.stateofthesalmon.org/con...eng_Georgia StraitCoho Chinook May 4 10 3.pdf

BTW... the comment in the above "May be linked to Georgia Strait carrying capacity or other ocean condition issues" would be a true statement. Both of those conditions would be due to what DFO (and the rest of the world) also already knows... those Norway Fish Farms.

Oh forgot - please note according to DFO 2% of those Chinook swiming around the Gulf Islands would be from the Snake River, as in Columbia River run that migrates through the Strait of Juan de Fuca! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you actually looked at the chart, Charlie, you would have read: "Origin of juvenile chinook salmon in the Gulf Islands in 2008". Uhhh, big run of mature Columbia springs through JDF in May, eh? ;-)

Camera? Pics? Video?

Thanks Scott for posting, this one thread that shouldn't fade - awaaaay, like our pending Summer Spring Season :(
This is the most recent example of the sorry state of affairs >>>
Subject: FN0422-SALMON - Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook: May 22nd Abundance Update

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0422-SALMON - Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook: May 22nd Abundance Update

In 2012, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to the Fraser River. Management
of these stocks is based on an inseason assessment of returns using the
cumulative catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook at the Albion Test
Fishery. A three zone management approach is used to identify management
actions. Management actions for a return of less than 30,000 chinook to the
Fraser River (management zone 1) were planned pre-season based on the number of
spawners in the 2007 parental-generation (22,000 chinook) and the recent lower
than average return rates.

The model used to predict the returns of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to
the Fraser River uses data from the standard chinook net at the Albion Test
fishery and does not use catch from the multi-panel net (which is currently
fished on alternating days). The standard chinook net is an 8 inch (approx.
20 cm) mesh.

The 2012 Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 25th. A total of
one (1) chinook has been caught in the standard chinook net; an additional 4
chinook have been caught in the multi-panel net. This CPUE input falls below
the range of historical observations of CPUE (1995 to 2010, excluding 2007)
used to develop the Albion prediction model. Based on this CPUE, for the
period May 6 to May 19, the current predicted return to the mouth of the Fraser
of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook in the aggregate ranges from 26,000 to
58,000 chinook (median of 38,550). At this time there is considerable
uncertainty about this estimated return to the Fraser.

The next scheduled update is on June 4th and the final in-season update is
planned for June 18th.

Management actions will be confirmed pending the final in-season update planned
for June 18th. Previously announced fishery management actions to conserve
Fraser River chinook remain in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Jeff Grout 604-666-0497

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0422
Sent May 23, 2012 at 08:43

I'd sure like to get some insight into their proposed (mis)management actions.:(
Not that i want to see it happen, but even one a day would still allow us to fish....

Same thing I was thinking Scott. I thought I wasn't reading the chart properly when I read 5 fish caught. Looks like the gear is going to get really dusty this year.

Just a ****** cell camera, will be taking the jet out on wknd and dropping hay bales into river to do something abput the nets. Its very clear that the CO s aint gonna do anything.

You want to wrap those hay bales with barbed wire so they will roll those nets up around the bale and tear the nets off their moorings. It works like a hot damn!

Craven, I just glanced at a few years in the past and the trend just within the last 3 years is disturbing. Those April/May chinooks seem to have completely disappeared. Just go 10 years back to 2002 and it will drive the tears in your eyes. Starting to believe that these fish are gone for good now. :(

2009 was a great year for April/May Chinook in area 19.
we were catching nice fish in the high teens to mid twenties most of the season.
but i agree there is a noticable lack of those bigger fish this season.

yep, pretty much. One interesting thing to me is that the August fishery looks like last year may have been the best yet in those records....would be interesting to understand why that is thriving while the early are getting wiped...guarantee the 'south island' fishery isn't the cause now! I assume someone here knows the story there.

Craven, I just glanced at a few years in the past and the trend just within the last 3 years is disturbing. Those April/May chinooks seem to have completely disappeared. Just go 10 years back to 2002 and it will drive the tears in your eyes. Starting to believe that these fish are gone for good now. :(

yep, pretty much. One interesting thing to me is that the August fishery looks like last year may have been the best yet in those records....would be interesting to understand why that is thriving while the early are getting wiped...guarantee the 'south island' fishery isn't the cause now! I assume someone here knows the story there.

Nets were reported in the river this past weekend with Chinook in them and reported to DFO. When there is no one to stop them I guess sadely some will fish these Fraser Chinook runs to extinction.

Back