New chinook regs for early fraser river run!!!

"I do tend to agree with you regarding embarrassing DFO, and publicly calling them to task for their complete failure to do even a sub-standard job. So, in effect, I DO "have your back" on this issue. That said, the odds of any of the 30 pound plus springs we see offshore WCVI throughout the months of late June through September have about as much chance of being a member of the stock in question as did the Nootka fish you made mention of: Astronomical. Were that to be otherwise, I do believe many, if not most, would seriously consider what you are suggesting."

A agree but.....What have we done up to now? Try to use facts to convince the public we aren't to blame and point the finger elsewhere. Valid or not it isn't a strategy that has ever succeeded. The other guys just point their finger back and the pissing match is a stalemate and nothing happens.....except DFO is off the hook. Fast forward 20 years and here we are today. All I'm saying is if we really care...if we really do CARE ....we have to get DFO to act. Embarrassing a politician or ministry has and will always be a successful tactic to get a reaction. Would it be that big a sacrifice to voluntarily institute a code amongst us to release all fish over 30 pounds to successfully bring DFO to task? With a public statement similar to: While the recreational fishery is not responsible for the past or present decline in the 5-2 numbers we are as a group are appalled at DFO's lack of commitment to rebuild these stocks. DFO has made no strides in stopping the declines nor do they have they any plan in the foreseeable future to rebuild these runs. Therefor we as a group have decided to take it upon ourselves to not retain any fish over 30 pounds in an effort to put every one of these fish on the spawning grounds. We have no doubt that our FN brothers who are among some of the strongest supporters of salmon conservation will join us and not permit their fishers to take these fish as well. It is sad that the public is forced into a position to do the job of a ineffective government ministry who have watched these fish numbers dwindle under their watch. The recreational fishermen on the west coast are not prepared to watch DFO do here what they did on the east coast. Therefore wew are taking action on behalf of BC's wild salmon and killer whales. I think this conveys the tactic I propose. Public pressure on DFO and the FN guys.

since D.F.dOoough!!! like to take wild and somewhat risky guesses regarding our public resources,anybody like to weigh in with their predictions on any further cuts
regarding area 19 on june 15

since D.F.dOoough!!! like to take wild and somewhat risky guesses regarding our public resources, would anybody like to weigh in with their predictions on any further cuts
regarding area 19 on june 15

A letter from Mr. Boss was posted on here stating that we a going to 2 fish 45-85cm and if its over 85cm it has to be hatchery. June 15th- July 20th

Political YES
have a look at the wild springs being caught off "the Neck and Thrasher" pretty much directly west of the Fraser River.
"Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012" on this Sports Fishing B.C. form.
If Juan de Fuca is impacting the Fraser fish, you will have a tough time telling me that Nanaimo is NOT.
No surprise...it's been this way since the first Juan de Fuca restrictions came in.
BUT nobody says it has to make sense...it's POLITICS and we know how much sense that makes.
Can't blame the Naniamo guys....every year April, May and June are their best fishing months for Chinook.
Totally agree, Ottawa is cutting budgets of all departments; closing Coast Guard stations, reducing the Fish act to let big Alberta oil have their way with BC. Harper doesn't care about us, he doesn't care about Sport Fishing in BC. But I digress. I was taking a charter across to Sechelt a week agao and saw the sporties stretched from Thrasher Rock all the way to the tip of Bowen Island, like a big net. Not much getting through there. How's that fair?

WstCoaster........the Herring stocks in the Gulf Of G. are good NOW.......after they've cut back the last couple of years on Herring fishing because the japs don't want the roe like they used to (Thank you, McDonalds for swinging the jap kids over to burgers and off the seafood.Nothing like a little North American culture for a diet change).
Before that there were lots of years when it wasn't so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I believe that.......it was a contributing factor alright.

You've got to hand it these policymakers/DFO/corporate controllers. Using the Fraser River as a platform for controlling the regs around the entire island was a masterpiece.

Thousand and thousands of migratory fish around V.I., some Fraser fish... many not.

Deducting commercial take, sporties...and the "prima donna" killer whales down south who only eat Fraser fish.....there should be still be thousands arriving at the Fraser.

But....miraculously they disappear.......just like Fraser sockeye at times.

Focussing on any other river system would be a moot point.......because any other river does not have the same politically controllable location.

We know that many of the fish going up the Fraser succumb to other forces at work......viruses,water temp,pollution,lack of habitat, the list goes on.

But when they read the forums and see us bickering like children, one against the other, they know they've got us by the kojones.

A agree but.....What have we done up to now? Try to use facts to convince the public we aren't to blame and point the finger elsewhere. Valid or not it isn't a strategy that has ever succeeded. The other guys just point their finger back and the pissing match is a stalemate and nothing happens.....except DFO is off the hook. Fast forward 20 years and here we are today. All I'm saying is if we really care...if we really do CARE ....we have to get DFO to act. Embarrassing a politician or ministry has and will always be a successful tactic to get a reaction. Would it be that big a sacrifice to voluntarily institute a code amongst us to release all fish over 30 pounds to successfully bring DFO to task? With a public statement similar to: While the recreational fishery is not responsible for the past or present decline in the 5-2 numbers we are as a group are appalled at DFO's lack of commitment to rebuild these stocks. DFO has made no strides in stopping the declines nor do they have they any plan in the foreseeable future to rebuild these runs. Therefor we as a group have decided to take it upon ourselves to not retain any fish over 30 pounds in an effort to put every one of these fish on the spawning grounds. We have no doubt that our FN brothers who are among some of the strongest supporters of salmon conservation will join us and not permit their fishers to take these fish as well. It is sad that the public is forced into a position to do the job of a ineffective government ministry who have watched these fish numbers dwindle under their watch. The recreational fishermen on the west coast are not prepared to watch DFO do here what they did on the east coast. Therefore wew are taking action on behalf of BC's wild salmon and killer whales. I think this conveys the tactic I propose. Public pressure on DFO and the FN guys.

Great idea Profisher. I like it and I think it could work with the right amount of exposure and publicity. From an organisational perspective who could make an announcement like that on behalf of the recreational sector? Who would be the spokesperson and how could he/she be confident of the support of his/her constituency?

Whether it be at meetings or on this board, Profisher always makes excellent points and expresses them well. We need ore like him and need to organize in a way we can do something constructive. Vancouver Island has incredible potential as a destination fishing Mecca and it will take action from all of us to make it happen. But we need to take a step rather than spinning our wheels.

It is not unlike fishing. If a 6 inch anchovy in a green teaser head isn't working and hasn't worked for a long time....don"t keep fishing it. There comes a time to change up and try new tactics.

Englishman, I think it would have to start with the SFAB holding meetings explaining the coarse of action and why. If broad support is there then those members on the board who are best at dealing with the media would speak on our behalf. It would take a lot of work to get everyone on side, accept the short term pain and be able to convince the skeptics that a long term goal would be achieved. Most people resist change even when status quo obviously will only result in more of the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
That said it is up to us (those who think this is the better path) to lobby our SFAB board members to pursue this coarse of action.

That said it is up to us (those who think this is the better path) to lobby our SFAB board members to pursue this coarse of action.
OK, if that is the route to go then over to you to lobby the SFAB. For what it is worth, you have my support.
(BTW when going in a particular direction it is "course", not "coarse". The latter means rough or abrasive. LOL But you are not the only one. In the Sooke News editorial it talks about the council "pouring" over plans. Those plans will be pretty wet then because pouring is what you do with beer!! LOL the word they should have used is "poring". Makes me shudder that a newspaper editor does not know the difference......!)

Good luck rollie!. You are a guide so you might have some say, but the rest of the SFAB as whole could give 2 *****. As a sportfisherman the fastest way to get nothing done is through the SFAB. IMO the DFO would love for us to use the SFAB for everything, because they have control. Lip service in IMO not trying to derail sorry if i did

I have no answers, but no fish farming and no nets would be a good start.

High Five

Bingo.

So how do we do this? While we support the people fighting them. IF we cant get off our asses and do it( not meant as a shot, but people are busy), then get some money and support to people that can. Dont let anyone you know buy a farmed or FN salmon. Talk about it to everyone, go to rallies, write letters, raise a stink. The anti fish farm movement has gained some serious tracting over the last year, and is worth getting behind. the SFAB plays right into the DFo's hands.

Lorne

I have no answers, but no fish farming and no nets would be a good start.
High Five

Yes, a good start, but the FN net fisheries are protected by the Supreme Court. Would take muchos dineros to go there, and a Politician to champion the cause, anyone know of someone who might fit the bill?

Back