New chinook regs for early fraser river run!!!

Im all for conservation but and this is a big but EVERYONE has to and not a 2nd opening the first time in 8 FRICKEN years DUMB

No greed coming from me. I will not be taking any wild chinook until the albion test results come in June 15th. Hope it comes back positive.

I think the greed comes from the corporations and politicians that pressure DFO to open things up for the trollers. DFO probably rationalize this opening with the thought that there are large numbers of US chinook out there. The early fraser chinook will suffer from this though!

what a big cluster ****, finger pointing mess. <head shake>

Should we shut the ******* thing down for everyone?

Of those 50K pieces... Dennis, The Fraser fish are a possible what percentage of that fishery?

Check yer facts bud......

Wolf brought up a good point. DFO better not expect if a big decision say 1 per day is made on 19/20 areas that all areas are left wide open. If they leave Renfrew on other west coast areas wide open etc that is not fair. Same goes Nanaimo you cant tell me those fish are not early Fraser....

I don't restrictions like everyone, but it has too be fair.

Previous data from other areas says otherwise.

Previous data from other areas says otherwise.

Sorry to **** off the Naniamo guys but I can't help but notice again this year another huge hole in the DFO Fraser Chinook Protection fiasco...and that is the Nanaimo Chinook fishery.

When this subject was brought up at the big meeting in Victoria, DFO said if the SFAB wanted them to look at Nanaimo, they would as they apparently had no data on the impact of Fraser River Chinook in that area.

How DFO determined you are more likely to catch a Fraser River Chinook of the Victoria Breakwater, or the Trap Shack then you are in area 29-2, 29-3, 29-4 and 29-5 is beyond me.
They lie directly offshore from Gibson's, Bowen Island, Point Atkinson, Galiano Island Ladner and Richmond
DFO did close totally the following area.
"Effective immediately until 23:59 hours Sunday July 15, 2012 in Subareas 29-6,
29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 the daily limit is zero (0) Chinook salmon."
These area's lie closer to shore off Ladner and Richmond.

There are other partial closures in the area, but the Naniamo guys continue to fish Chinook in the open area's as you will see below from post from the last 4 days.

"First fish was nice, didn't get to see it but it didn't stop running until it go off. We did get 2 more, a 17 and a 20"

"We fished both morning and afternoon yesterday and boated 11 fish between 8 and 22 lbs. he started off this morning with a double header - twin 14s Not bad for Nanaimo."

"Bonked a 21 this morning 3 miles out from Piper's lagoon".

"lost 2 and bonked a 14 and 16".

I would be pleased if you Nanaimo guys could enlighten me on why you are exempt from the same restrictions just to your south and east.

Not their fault Foggy, again it's DFO'S botched plan to blame.
I would also continue to fish if they left my area untouched.

Not their fault Foggy, again it's DFO'S botched plan to blame.
I would also continue to fish if they left my area untouched.

Didn't mean to say it was their fault craven?
This fisher has been untouched for all the years we south of them have been fishing under severe restrictions.
Sorry if I didn't make my point clear.
Maybe this is clear...
DFO are clueless!
Incompetence beyond belief!!!

Of those 50K pieces... Dennis, The Fraser fish are a possible what percentage of that fishery?

Check yer facts bud......
Commies out there slaying em. And we be getting ready to lay our rods down for the season. This is crap!

I have waited a while to post on this thread, I don't believe that the fish being targeted in all portions of area 29 are fraser stock. Typically upper fraser fish have short stubby noses and RED meat. Almost all of the chinook I retain and see retained in the straight of georgia fishery at this time of the year are White or lightly marbled chinook. These fish do not exhibit the subby noses of the fraser fish, of which I have caught a few in the fraser canyon and back when you could target them around the T10 bouy. I would bet that a number of these fish could be bound for the squamish river and tributaries. The entire squamish watershed which sees a return of white or marbled chinook starting around early july in the river, this run of fish is hachery augmented. Just some food for thought.

I'm confused.
The commies are slaying them in area g
The Naniamo guys are slaying them in area 17
I'm in area 14 and I caught spring last week so am I slaying them also.
Are the springs being caught all from the Fraser River and are they the only one in the water?
If so are they the only 4-2 and 5-2 springs or could they be from somewhere else or different run.
Perhaps the two guys on here could fill us in with some facts (CWT) that would help clear things up.
Or they could just keep blowing smoke and we will never know what the facts are.
GLG

Some one say white..... Harrison also (Fraser stock that's in great shape)
I'll admit I don't know much about the Fraser run but to call for a ban to all fishing seems far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were hearing rumors of a complete shutdown of the Fraser river chinook fishing this summer. The Albion test fisheries will soon tell the tale of how bad its going to get.Im not calling for a complete ban.Im calling for the commies to not get extra openings when the sports guys are getting shutdown.

Some one say white..... Harrison also (Fraser stock that's in great shape)
I'll admit I don't know much about the Fraser run but to call for a ban to all fishing seems far fetched.

Those endangered Fraser stocks are reds, not whites.

Exactly my point when they only fish I am seeing caught are marbles and whites I am not thinking upper fraser watershed.

Back