New chinook regs for early fraser river run!!!

And once again, those fishing Sidney waters have to hope for a spring that falls between 62 and 67 cm. Gonna need scissors or a fish stretcher for that one...

THANK you fogged in YOU get it !!!! as a user group we are about 4th on the list (area19/20) who takes the most but get the shaft the most thats what pissed me off and uninformed people who have never been in a meeting or read the facts like some on here. uniformed people are ignorant to what really is going on.
Trust me if we as a user group were REALLY the problem then id be the first to lay down and conserve but all we are doing is saving fish for who??? a commercial opening and the FN to catch more in the netted rivers??? doesnt seem so conserving to me????

Now reverse it for one( all HYPATHETICAL) and say us as a sportfishing fleet took what FN is of 38% and fn took what we take at what I saw almost 5%
And we asked FN to cut that 5% in half???? what would happen???
Your lucky where you you havent been touched but this is just the beginning of the web once it gets hold here trust me DFO wont stop that web will be in your backyard too and then there will be even more bitching.......

Not questioning any of your facts...

It is ignorant to point fingers at individuals on this forum for how they make a living. If you were a commercial troller, and DFO gave you an opening, would you choose to stay at home to protect salmon stocks? Go ahead and bash DFO all you want, but don't judge the people out there working to earn a few bucks.
The fellas out there fishing are contributing to wiping out the early Fraser river chinook.I fish chinook in the Fraser,and will gladly lay my rod down this summer in the name of conservation.I did not fish the Thompson opening last year for steelhead,it was so wrong to fish that endangered run of fish.Everyone and every sector needs to smarten the hell up and get on the same page.Consider all the fellas and guides that work the Fraser.Motels,hotels and restaurants here in the wack that will be affected by this. Simply ridiculous! :p Kudos to this forum for keeping all the issues on the fore front.

I heard a funny quote in a enviroment and sustainability course. "Sustainable logging is not rocket science, it's
much more complicated". I think this is applicable to fisheries aswell.

My opinion is that DFO is far from properly managing fish stocks but at the same time it's not as simple a topic as most people believe. There is a huge (unsustainable) market for fish and commercial fishing supplies that. Therefore thy have a right to supply the public to some degree. Therefore people shouldn't form lynch mobs Everytime they see a commercial opening. Natives are a whole seperate topic but seem to be mixing more commercially than ceremonially. That's a huge issue in its self.

Wolf you should check your numbers. 10,000 pieces were taken. I'm not sure of the number of boats but it's likely more than 50 therefore 200 fish per boat at max. They are providing the public with fish just the same as you provide the public with fish and an experience. They two jobs are more similar than you seem to think so perhaps you should get off YOUR high horse.

I heard a funny quote in a enviroment and sustainability course. "Sustainable logging is not rocket science, it's

My opinion is that DFO is far from properly managing fish stocks but at the same time it's not as simple a topic as most people believe. There is a huge (unsustainable) market for fish and commercial fishing supplies that. Therefore thy have a right to supply the public to some degree. Therefore people shouldn't form lynch mobs Everytime they see a commercial opening. Natives are a whole seperate topic but seem to be mixing more commercially than ceremonially. That's a huge issue in its self.

Wolf you should check your numbers. 10,000 pieces were taken. I'm not sure of the number of boats but it's likely more than 50 therefore 200 fish per boat at max. They are providing the public with fish just the same as you provide the public with fish and an experience. They two jobs are more similar than you seem to think so perhaps you should get off YOUR high horse.
While you make a few valid points - you fail to mention most of our value added resources are being shipped offshore.The biggest problem is punishing our area for lack of forsight - another thing look at the areas left open - one would assume they're part of the migration route for incomming Fraser Springs!

While you make a few valid points - you fail to mention most of our value added resources are being shipped offshore.The biggest problem is punishing our area for lack of forsight - another thing look at the areas left open - one would assume they're part of the migration route for incomming Fraser Springs!

I certainly didn't cover it all and am not trying to play devils advocate but a lot of arguments on this site tend to ignore the other side of the picture.

There is a huge (unsustainable) market for fish and commercial fishing supplies that. Therefore thy have a right to supply the public to some degree.
QUOTE]
Kelly
The precise number of Chinook taken by the Commercial Trollers in 5 days only is 10,600 AND as of May 1 they have been given permission to take over 40,000 more. How many boats took these fish is irrelevant.
What we are talking about here is endangered Chinook. Not the Chinook the Commercial Industry take for example in the Alberni Inlet after the return of Chinook to the river has been met AND not Halaibut, Sockeye, Pinks or Chum which the Commercial Fishery dominate.
The southern waters of Juan de Fuca is presently under severe restrictions with threats of further restrictions in June to protect the very Chinook that are presently passing thru the northern Vancouver Island waters.
DFO know that and have even mentioned their concern in their own web site...but money talks!
The easy question is; why are we allowing this unrestricted fishery of Chinook to take well over 50,000 pieces (which certainly include the endangered Fraser River Chinook) when the other user group is under DFO placed severe restrictions AND the threat of even more restrictions come June. Answer...money and because many of these fish are Americans and we don't care about their returns.
If you are a Commercial Fishermen you just want to make money....just like the Seiners of the past who did so much damage to the Chinook fishery ALL while under the management of DFO and just like the Foreign Owned Fish Farms are threating all the salmon species. (I have a friend who with some investors tried fish farming over 10 years ago when it first came on the scene.
He lost all his Chinook stock for two years in a row as did all the others who tried it with Pacific Coast Chinook and that's why the Atlantic salmon are presently being used. That's ATLANTIC salmon....why don't they keep them in the Atlantic.)
There is more frustration then enough to go around...the Commercia Troll Chinook Fishery just adds to the nonsense of it all.

You make some decent points. However...

When it comes to chinnook a few years back Rec fisherman were given priority access over commercial. In order to get this a few things happened.

1. Socks, chum and pinks pretty much all go to the commies. (95% i think is the number)
2. Rec fisherman went down to the traditonal 4 springs a day, to 2 springs a daily limit.

THose are some pretty big concessions IMO.

The last point id like to make and this goes for halibut as well, is i agree there is a HUGE market for fish and commercial fishing supplies this. However, that market should NEVER supercede a canadian cititzens right to access it. Early closures, slot limits, etc, should not be ok if commercial fisherman are out there having at er. And while i dont expect anyone to not makea living, no one will have to worry about when we have no fish left. I along with many many others that i talk to, would support a catch and release fishery if that would help the stocks. But the problem is as long as the DFO continues to but big $$$ in front of fish, this will never happen. THere is more of a "hurry and get them before they are gone" mentality which is a brutal way of thinking.

They are providing the public with fish just the same as you provide the public with fish and an experience. They two jobs are more similar than you seem to think.

This I agree with 100%

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Fogged in well said and great points. My thinking is that they believe the concentration of endangered fish on the north coast of the island is low enough that it warrants allowing a fishery while the JDF has higher concentrations and therefore its not worth opening retention. Whether thats correct or not is beyond me and there is likely no clear answer without extensive sample testing.

The easy question is; why are we allowing this unrestricted fishery of Chinook to take well over 50,000 pieces

I wouldn't go as far as saying the fishery is unrestricted however. If you look back at the Area G troll fleet, they have faced huge cutbacks and restrictions over the years.

It should really be simple math. If we need to cut back, all sectors need to cut back what ever need be to get the resource back to solid number. Nobody owns these fish and we are lucky we have the right to fish them at all. If we all can manage them properly, there will be fish for the future. If greed kicks in, we are all f@#ked

The whole problem with this county is "those with the gold make all the rules" The Spring restrictions are a result of poor DFO management, which by the way are King Harper's puppets. IMHO it's easier to divide us, then cut us out of the equation - in the larger scheme of things we are being used as Pawns!

It should really be simple math. If we need to cut back, all sectors need to cut back what ever need be to get the resource back to solid number.
Yup. In an ideal world. However, in the past the cut-backs were not equitable. We give up a lot, while other sectors have given little or nothing.

Nobody owns these fish and we are lucky we have the right to fish them at all.
again, in an ideal world. However, with the "experimental" halibut model, the quota holders do, effectively own the fish. We may buy quota from them which demonstrates their ownership.

If we all can manage them properly, there will be fish for the future. If greed kicks in, we are all f@#ked
I believe we could manage them properly but it has been impressively demonstrated that D.F.O. cannot. Sustainability, allocations and management models are within the purvue of D.F.O., not with us. Considering where the power lies - with corporations like Marine Harvest and Canfisco (Pattison) - greed will be always be in play. The Harper government and DFO is their partner. Greed is a CEO's mission - increase profits and returns to shareholders (or die). Marine Harvest has demonstrated no citizenship in Chile - no profit; move on. The environment and people be damned. Canfisco Communications speaks about harvesting sustainable wild salmon resources, providing employment with the largest fleet in B.C. Well, I was born at night ... but not last night. When the salmon are gone, they'll be gone too - jobs and all.

I certainly didn't cover it all and am not trying to play devils advocate but a lot of arguments on this site tend to ignore the other side of the picture.

i have been a long time commercial troller my experience has been that the fish caught by trollers inearly seasons are mostly from off tofino end ukculuet and are of a small size heading out to the westward and alaskan waters in july and august sept mature ones are returning so no fishing for commies or so called sporties then off winter harbour and kyukuot fish are mostly of a mature nature but fewer numbers are landed

History has a point of repeating itself - Take a look at the Mayan civilizations demise, you may see some simular parallels to our way of life >>>
"Some believe that by the ninth century the Maya had exhausted the environment around them to the point that it could no longer sustain a very large population. Other Maya scholars argue that constant warfare among competing city-states led the complicated military, family (by marriage) and trade alliances between them to break down, along with the traditional system of dynastic power. As the stature of the holy lords diminished, their complex traditions of rituals and ceremonies dissolved into chaos. Finally, some catastrophic environmental change--like an extremely long, intense period of drought--may have wiped out the Classic Maya civilization. Drought would have hit cities like Tikal--where rainwater was necessary for drinking as well as for crop irrigation--especially hard."

There is a huge (unsustainable) market for fish and commercial fishing supplies that. Therefore thy have a right to supply the public to some degree.
QUOTE]
Kelly
The precise number of Chinook taken by the Commercial Trollers in 5 days only is 10,600 AND as of May 1 they have been given permission to take over 40,000 more. How many boats took these fish is irrelevant.
What we are talking about here is endangered Chinook. Not the Chinook the Commercial Industry take for example in the Alberni Inlet after the return of Chinook to the river has been met AND not Halaibut, Sockeye, Pinks or Chum which the Commercial Fishery dominate.
The southern waters of Juan de Fuca is presently under severe restrictions with threats of further restrictions in June to protect the very Chinook that are presently passing thru the northern Vancouver Island waters.
DFO know that and have even mentioned their concern in their own web site...but money talks!
The easy question is; why are we allowing this unrestricted fishery of Chinook to take well over 50,000 pieces (which certainly include the endangered Fraser River Chinook) when the other user group is under DFO placed severe restrictions AND the threat of even more restrictions come June. Answer...money and because many of these fish are Americans and we don't care about their returns.
If you are a Commercial Fishermen you just want to make money....just like the Seiners of the past who did so much damage to the Chinook fishery ALL while under the management of DFO and just like the Foreign Owned Fish Farms are threating all the salmon species. (I have a friend who with some investors tried fish farming over 10 years ago when it first came on the scene.
He lost all his Chinook stock for two years in a row as did all the others who tried it with Pacific Coast Chinook and that's why the Atlantic salmon are presently being used. That's ATLANTIC salmon....why don't they keep them in the Atlantic.)
There is more frustration then enough to go around...the Commercia Troll Chinook Fishery just adds to the nonsense of it all.
50,000 pcs???OMG this is insanity!!!This kind of greed has us heading for disaster.Reminds me of the East Coast Cod fishery.Very sad news indeed.

50,000 pcs???OMG this is insanity!!!This kind of greed has us heading for disaster.Reminds me of the East Coast Cod fishery.Very sad news indeed.

Easier there.

50k is not alot of fish in the scheme of things. alaska is taking 266k this year and took almost 300k last year. Although i 100% do not support any commercial take of springs while the rec sector is under BS restrictions, the sky is not falling if 50,000 smilies are trolled up.

Lorne

Kelly you dont care because it doesnt effect you WE HAVE 0 thats zero,zip, nada ,zilth retention of these fish!!!!! yet your saying ahhh its ok if a few get caught NO ITS NOT OK I dont care what anyone says there will be some of them ETF fish caught then but you have the attitude its OK well my friend your WRONG!!!!!
YOUR so uninformed.......
Like I said earlier we are about 4th on the list who takes these fish maybe come down(off your horse) and really see the facts its basic math!!!!

Lets face it we're all greedy for our own needs. Sports fishermen want Commercials and FN shut down so we can have a greater share.
Do you think the others feel the same ? I bet they do.
Bottom line is, if the stocks are sustainable let every user group have a fair share with conservation first and foremost.
If the stocks are not sustainable, all user groups have to share responsibility for the preservation of the fish.
Greed is what put us in this mess in the first place, lets not let greed finish it.

Lets face it we're all greedy for our own needs. Sports fishermen want Commercials and FN shut down so we can have a greater share.
Do you think the others feel the same ? I bet they do.
Bottom line is, if the stocks are sustainable let every user group have a fair share with conservation first and foremost.
If the stocks are not sustainable, all user groups have to share responsibility for the preservation of the fish.
Greed is what put us in this mess in the first place, lets not let greed finish it.

x53-8523-60249634-29289642-6483658934968023

Lorne

Back