Fisheries notices

islandboy

Anyone else having trouble following the fisheries notices?
"FN0617-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Fisheries Notices FN0611 and FN0612 - NOT VALID
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN0617-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Fisheries Notices FN0611 and FN0612 - NOT VALID
This Fishery Notice is to notify fishers that the previously issued Fishery Notices FN0611 and FN0612, outlining upcoming recreational Chinook management measures for Northeast and Southeast Vancouver Island (Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5), were released in error and are not valid. Current Chinook management measures remain as follows:
Until further notice, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is zero (0) per day, except for the pilot mark-selective fisheries announced in Fishery Notice FN0488; and the Chinook management measures previously announced for East Coast Vancouver Island (Fishery Notice FN0330) and West Coast Vancouver Island (Fishery Notice FN0332).
A further update on fishery management measures for Chinook will be released pending approval of the 2023/24 Southern BC Salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan.
Variation Order: 2023-RFQ-193
Coast-wide Recreational Fisheries:
For the recreational fishery, the annual aggregate limit for Chinook salmon is ten (10) coast-wide in all tidal waters.
Variation Order: 2023-RFQ-009
Fishers are reminded that minimum legal size limits apply and to check the species regulations for the areas being fished."

Response back this morning is that these were accidentally sent out before the 2023/2024 IMFP was approved. All I have right now.

I haven't heard any changes but you never know with this government right now.

The incompetence just keeps one-upping itself, doesn’t it. Bush league.

It’s not exactly the same as previous years either… ie: some sun areas are now non-retention Aug 1 ie: 18-6. Nothing major but they just keep clawing it away little by little…

Yeah no IFMP by July is stupid but guess they don’t care anymore because every early fishery is basically closed now

Yeah I am just concerned why the ifmp hasn't been signed. Little ridiculous.

Every year it's getting later and later. These notices should have been done earlier. We have anglers and also businesses that need to make plans if things change.
Not much left if the jerks modify this. Shameful and probably incompetent --if we only knew! It will be let go friday the 14th at 3.30 pm as per usual.

Yeah, they put out the notice indicating basically the same as last season for August 01
and then retracted it a couple hours later ?
WTF ??
Actually, correct me if I’m wrong, but last year 2022 there was no chinook retention at the chuck at all (29-3 to 29-5) during August, not until Sept 1… but 2021 there was a slot 80cm during August (like the retracted notice for this year) So I guess that part is a bit better?
Unless of course that’s why they retracted it, to cut that part out.

Last edited:
Actually, correct me if I’m wrong, but last year 2022 there was no chinook retention at the chuck at all (29-3 to 29-5) during August, not until Sept 1… but 2021 there was a slot 80cm during August (like the retracted notice for this year)
I can't speak for area 29, but in area 19 we had an 80cm from Aug 01 to 31

Actually, correct me if I’m wrong, but last year 2022 there was no chinook retention at the chuck at all (29-3 to 29-5) during August, not until Sept 1… but 2021 there was a slot 80cm during August (like the retracted notice for this year) So I guess that part is a bit better?
Unless of course that’s why they retracted it, to cut that part out.
Last year July 15 there was a line from poier pass to gibsons. Anything north westerly of that line was open up to 80cm July 15 till Aug 31. Same as the past few years previous to 2022. That line cuts through 29-5, 29-4,29-3

Last edited:
Last year July 15 there was a line from poierpass to gibbons. Anything north westerly of that line was open up to 80cm July 15 till Aug 31. Same as the past few years previous to 2022. That line cuts through 29-5, 29-4,29-3
True yeah, but I’m trying to recall, Sand heads for example… 2021 had a slot 80cm for August? but 2022 was non-retention until Sept 1? Would at least be nice to get that back

We haven't had an Aug 1st opening since 2019 (if I remember right)

Slot limit north westerly of the line drawn from poier to gibbons. Until Sept 1. Non retention in the remaining 29 areas until Sept 1. Same regs since 2020. This will be the forth year

Last edited:
Yeah checked the past threads and appears you are correct. So me being cynical and all, I’m sure that’s why they retracted the recent notice… it would be too goo to be true if they gave us a slot fishery for August at the chuck. But one can hope…

This is where I get real testy. Because they claim conservation but ever since they closed it, they allow food fishing in the fraser for the month of August. I believe it's 48 hour openings every weekend.

Apparently the notices had not been signed by the minister… hope they get signed and released in the next few days! Seems SO silly to have to wait this long to have some certainty on retention (particularly with so many fish around in the Strait!)

I agree it's getting worse.

Yeah I really don't think that is what it is in all honestly that we are last in line. The process of the IFMP rollout needs to be completely sped up within the department with clear delivery dates that must be followed. That seems to just keep slipping for various reasons. If that can't be done they need to add more people too work on it.

Waiting till July is not acceptable for all stakeholders. It is dysfunctional in my opinion.

Back